ZXR400 Cam Chain mechanic needed

T180985

ok i need a garage that can replace the cam chain on my Kawasaki ZXR400 i managed to get hold of one garage who told me it was a nasty little job and he didnt really want to do it, so if any of you know of a decent garage that will do it please can you send me some details? thanks

If it's anything like the zephyr the tensioner will do f**k all....you can actually check it by taking the tensioner out (with the cam cover off) and extending it to full adjustment, then measuring it, sticking a screwdriver in that distance and seeing if it tightens up. If not, the chain needs changing.

the zxr tensioners arent that bad

but sometimes the spring can go weak and not adjust up properly

the trick is to pull it out and reset it then put it back in and it usually tensions it up properly

now then cam chain is a pice of piss to do i did one on my zxr when i had it

have you got a manual ? just follow it its as easy as that :)

the zxr tensioners arent that bad

but sometimes the spring can go weak and not adjust up properly

the trick is to pull it out and reset it then put it back in and it usually tensions it up properly

now then cam chain is a pice of p*ss to do i did one on my zxr when i had it

have you got a manual ? just follow it its as easy as that :)

Yea I have a manual but couldn't find anything about the can chain will take another look today I think I'm not very good with fixing engines so might be a bit of a challenge for me LOL

The Zxr workshop manual does say it requires a full engine strip to swap the chain, BUT it can be done without.

Remove cam cover, remove tensioner etc and igniter cover.

You did set the timing at tdc first didnt you??

Make note of the cam markings to ensure they are refitted in the correct timed position, and count links between the markings.

Remove the chain(you will usually have to remove cams as the new chain will be tighter)

drop the camchain down the tunnel, and then using EXTREME patience, sneak it past the sprocket on the crank, trying to avoid breaking off the small ally tang that is there to prevent you from removing it in situe.

You can do it, and cause no damage to the engine.

Rebuild and check timing, turn engine over by spanner first to check for any clearance issues.

Id always replace the chain and slipped blades and tensioner. They all wear.

Zxr4's were always a little camchain rattly tho, so ensure it needs doing before pulling it apart.

Rolla