Track Day Discussion

chris128

Very interested by track days.

Thanks for the topic, lot s of info in it.

Some Questions:

1) Knowing you have a bike only for track day, you don t get an insurance (for road) for it isnt it? In this case, you need a van to bring it on spot. Everyone of you has a truck or a trailer then? :shock: Or you organise common transportation?

2) Or is there risky people to race with their own bike? Can you get a one day insurrance for it? Standard insurrance does not cover isn t it? And I suppose you come back on foot if you fall... :?

3) Is there an option to rent the bike+insurance for 1 track day on spot? I saw price for track day with tuition? But what the price without tution (if it is possible?)?

Thanks again for sharing your experience mate. :cheers:

Guest philgale

1, i have a trailer, but i know of people who convert a LWB van with garage at the back sleeping area above garage and cooking stuff near front. or some people ride the bike there and just take it easy.

2, normally track bikes aint that expensive, unless your proper into it and spend like 20k plus building it. so not usually much point insuring it.

3, all track days include some sort of tuition if you want it, you can grab an instructor to go round with you for a session or not, its upto you that one.

300 notes sounds way too much for a TD, most iv spend is about 160 to do oulton in middle of summer.

Phil, i think you find £300 was with bike rental?

3) Is there an option to rent the bike+insurance for 1 track day on spot? I saw price for track day with tuition? But what the price without tution (if it is possible?)?

I thought you had to also lay down a deposit when you hire a bike of around £500 to cover damages... bin it and thats £500 gone.. might as well get yourself an old trackbike :)

How about those Ron Haslam days... where u hire his bike and get tuition.. aitn they around £250??

Guest philgale

yeah my bad, was answering this part "I saw price for track day with tuition? But what the price without tution (if it is possible?)?"

read the first part then forgot :lol:

So Phil....I got to start thinking bout this soon.....BUT

Is there really a problem with taking your own, road, bike?

If you intend to use session as a training/fun experience rather than pushing to the limits ...surely theres no more risk of binning it than on a 'lively' rideout????

Money is most definately an object for me n I'd have to look at diff leathers for starters....n what about tyres????

I for one could do with a 'minimal requirements' list plus 'preferred extras, options! Hope your not busy.... :mrgreen:

Guest philgale

no problem taking your road bike, iv been doing that with the SV but thats had race fairings on. id say get some sportier rubber on.

and to be honest there is less chance of binning it on track, just book in novice group and take it steady.

my first track day i had a 1986 vfr400 and a rear paddock stand thats it, did me well round mallory and was a right laugh. now its a different story, as you get into it you will suddenly find everything you need to take with you.

in my trailer iv got.

2 bikes (1 mine and 1 mikes)

paddock stands for both

tyre warmers for both

tool kit with just about everything you need for a bike

spare parts (clips ons, levers, rear sets etc etc)

2 spare sets of wheels with wet rubber fitted

gazebo

2 water proof covers for bikes

camp bed and sleeping bags

little heater

generator for places that dont have leccy hook ups for warmers

2 20l jerry cans and 4 5l jerry cans

and prob loads more i cant remember

point being, it will build up, it will get expensive BUT its the most fun you can ever have with your clothes on.

Guest philgale
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Phil

:cheers:

i know of a space going free at mallory on saturday, all they ask is a fiver donation to help for heros....

go on you know you want it....it is in fast group mind :lol:

Thanks a lot Phil! :)

Need to discover first then. I ll so start doing Race track with Ron in March-April, when the season will restart. Some friends re already interesed; I ll post something for the occasion if some of you wish to join.

Great post.

Ikar :cheers:

^^^^ I wouldn't be too hopeful with that idea. I spoke to them two months ago and asked when they were starting up again next year and they said 'hopefully May' and this was before funding for the new track fell through, so I wouldn't expect them to be doing much until later next year.

Guest philgale

i think haslam is using silverstone next year....

the haslem school and the like are pretty expensive, you can just get on track for less than 50 quid at the moment and get tuition included within that. OK so its not 1 on 1 for the whole day but you still get some pointers to work on.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone already heard about "Twist of the Wrist II"? A friend who has been racing adviced me to buy the CD+book. I bought the DVD,

it s AWESOME!!! :shock:

Keith Code, the guy who made the DVD, is owning a motobike racing school in California. The DVD is full of good tips if you wish to improve your performance on track.

You can see some extract on Youtube and buy it from e-bay.

If you start (like me) having interest for track day, be sure that there is already a lot of "homework" in it.

Going to watch it again,... and again.

Note: their sense of humour is pityfull :cry:

Guest philgale

my mate lent me the book ages ago, still not read it :oops:

got 2 books from my dad for my bday about track days so will give them a good read and see what there about

I went out on my bike yesterday for the first time since it has been derestricted (damn snow) and firstly jeesus christ its fast, secondly it made me realise that when I have got the power I go far too fast on public roads... so I think its a good idea if I do a few track days and try and keep the speeding to the track rather than on the road. My girlfriend (well, ex) got me a voucher for trackdays.co.uk which I'm planning to use in the summer but I just found this site: http://www.clubmsv.com/bike-home.aspx which seems to do track days for a much cheaper rate than anywhere else I have found, so I just wondered if anyone had used them before (clubmsv) and had any comments? £49 for the full day at cadwell seems like a bargain to me but maybe its just that cheap because it is winter and not many people go on them. Plus its a "Novice Only" day which sounds good to me!

For £49 though I'm tempted to take my chances and just hope it doesnt rain - if it does then I'll just have to take it very steady but even then I've only wasted £49 (and it wont be a complete waste). What do you think?

I totally agree with getting it out on the track. After doing my trackday I find I can't enjoy road riding as much because I'm always worrying (and rightly so) is there a pot hole round the corner, is there a rozzer waiting behind a bush, is there a speed camera coming up, is there some prat cutting the next corner. Where as on the track you just go with no worries at all. So now I just take it real easy on the roads and plan to get all my speed freakishness out on track at various track days.

I've heard mainly good things about the MSV days, they're run by the people that actually own the track where as people like Focused Events and Hottrax are third parties. You're right that the prices are cheaper because of winter, they will go up as it gets warmer.

I say go for it, you'll love it I'm sure. It will give you more confidence on the road too. One word of warning though, you'll get the trackday bug.

Guest philgale

clubmsv are ok, they have some stupid policy were you cant overtake while insight of a corner or something stupif like that, people call it a procession rather than a track day :lol:

have a look at http://www.uktrackdays.co.uk they list all days.

oh im at cadwell on the 12th and 13th of march if you fancy getting on track then you can pitch up next to us and have a laugh as well....might settle some first time nerves.

on another notes, finished one of the books i was given. if you havnt done a day before then this is well worth a read gives you a very good idea of what to expect and some techniques which would be handy to know on your first day.

trackdays for virgins

Thanks Phil, I might take you up on that and book one for 13th of March as thats a saturday - which organiser are you doing it with? I am surprised to see that more than one organiser provides track days on the same day at the same track in some cases. For example, trackdays.co.uk have a bike track day (and a car track day!?) on 24th Jan and so do ClubMSV.

Guest philgale

the car/bike day is 1 session for cars and 2 sessions for bikes (novice/advanced) or something like that.

its held at an motorsport vision (MSV) track so you can book direct with them or through the TDO.

its with no limits, there is a thread about it on here. there are a few i know doing cadwell on the 12th 13th so will be plenty people around and a few in novice to keep you company. oh and if you want an instructor one is a member of another forum who is very good so ill point her out and you should go out with her.