Track Day Discussion

chris128

actually this will only be my second full day, have done cadwell on performance plus ( which is half a day on track) one session at castle combe as part of a bikesafe day ( xmas pressie from my lovely man),#one full day at cadwell on a reclaim your tracks day ( birthday pressie from my best mate)

and now donnington coming up, paid for by my bestie because he fancied doing it with his racer buddies and I think he secretly( or not so secretly as it happens) wants to coach me, and its my local track .

am I addicted ...possibly...I find it much more exhilarating than riding on the road...the perfect environment in which to see what you are capable of ( and also what the bike is ) without the usual hazards or unknowns

Oh! It just seemed you were on the track every week or something lol! Must admit having a coach or someone experienced would be really handy! You should be biting his hand off for advice!

I totally agree and I feel the bike is so much more where it belongs at the track, and my enthusasim for the road has dwindled a bit since going to a few trackdays :(

I had quite an eventful day yesterday! Got two dry as a bone sessions that were fantastic then the heavens opened :roll: .

Felt some serious rear end traction loss giving too much beans out a corner in the wet. Had me standing up feeling the back end moving around with engine screeming, but it stepped back in-line. Calmed the feck down after that.

Later on in the day the front end went on me and I went down like a tone of bricks on the first low speed chicane at Oulton. Was down before I knew what was happening. I still haven't figured out what went wrong.

Frame slider saved the bike from pretty much any damage at all. I seriously don't know how my right bar end, fork, peg, lever, pipe etc didn't even make contact with floor. Picked it up and was out for the rest of the sessions! New rhs frame slider is only repair needed.

Quite a lot of guys went down yesterday 10+. Although not as much fun as the first due to wet track, deffo learned more lessons this time in the wet!

ouch, glad youre ok and not too much damage to the bike.

we got 3 really good dry sessions, then the heavens opened in the fourth, did about 3 laps , then decided I actually couldn't see so called it a day, not worth it.the lightening was slightly offputting too :)

I think that was a good call to not carry on. I will think a bit more about it next time it starts pissing down. Although it hurts to pay so much money for a day and then have it written off by the crappy weather. But riding on the track in the rain is really not fun and thats the whole point of the day aint it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got Rockingham booked for the 25th must of missed it when I was looking as that's part of my bosses holiday so thought I'd be working but it's bank holiday so got Sunday night off. Can't wait to try new bike

• 2 weeks later...

ended up a great day at Rockingham after raining Saturday and all through night went to track in slight rain but very wet roads. first 2 sessions were wet but no rain next was slightly damp then the sun came out and afternoon was lovely all three sessions went without even a yellow flag never mind red which we saw both of all morning. seemed to be getting to grips with the gixer 600 even though it is bigger and heavier than my 750 needs some new back brakes though but everything else seemed ok. Silverstone on the 4th :D

Nice 1.

Getting plenty of track days under your belt!

The number of guys that go down in the wet vs the dry is like night and day. It really is pretty treacherous in the wet.. But when its dry, you really cant beat whizzing a sports bike round a track, its so fun its just unreal.

I got a voucher for bday, but am just reluctant to book anything as I can't help but feel all our sunny days have been and gone lol.

Yeah I watch the weather but it can change so much on the longer forecasts. Thinking of getting another in at end of September and hoping it's a good enough got a set of wets to try but hoping not to use them yet that's for a later date lol

what a day I had at Silverstone, we were on the southern circuit which takes in the hanger straight, bike was just nailed going down it. the Suzuki team of riders were showing of a bit Josh Brookes PJ Jacobsen Taylor Mackenzie John Reynolds Jules Cluzel and John Hopkins were all there. Everyone got a goody bag as well with cap, T-shirt stickers and a few other bits and bobs. got a few pic's which i'll try to put up later. Really good day 7 sessions not many stoppages think i'll be booking another at Silverstone sometime soon.

• 4 weeks later...

well Silverstone was real good in the morning but last session the rain started. I sat out of next session as it was pissing it down, went out after that but wasn't enjoying the wet so retired for the day. should have taken the wets with me.

• 1 month later...

don't know if anyone interested but no limits are doing a deal where you can pay for up to 8 trackdays and get them at a discount I paid £699 for 8 for next year and at £130 a day I've saved a few pounds. you just ring them and book what day you want nearer the time. can't wait for the sun :D

• 6 months later...

A great day at cadwell today weather was awesome, track amazing, and dan who was next to me let me use his generator so I could use my tyre warmers. Some big wheelies coming over the mountain had to keep shutting off well probably didn't have to but couldn't help it roll on rockingham next Monday

• 2 weeks later...

Done another day at rockingham last week which was awesome . The novice group had all sorts of riders from pretty fast to a couple of real slow. I thinkit was because it was really cheap day and it was fully booked

• 1 month later...
I fancy doing a track day (brands hatch).

Can I go along and spectate before I go ahead and press the book button???

Yes. Just whizz along and have a shufti.

Why Brands? It's expensive and not all that good...

Ok, No limits are doing one in bedford autodrome on the 7th October - full day for £65 which sounds pretty good. That's a 2hr ride from me so I've concluded that if it's still available end of the month, I'll go for it.

I have been a bit crazy this month with the R1 purchase so need to wait a bit to gather funds before the wife gets in mean mode :lol:

...so need to wait a bit to gather funds before the wife gets in mean mode :lol:

I think Joeman has a switch on his Beemer for that. :-)

Had to lift up her seat and plug in a funny looking red thing first though... Maybe try that on the wife??