Track Day Discussion

chris128

Sloppy seconds on the track mate - you probably wouldn't want it when I'm finished with it. :-)

Whereabouts are you Matt? Snet is a good bit closer to me than Cadwell but I'd be happy to trundle up there if there's a good few people interested.

• 1 month later...

Hey all

First track day today - I was moral support, tools and beverage carrier for my mate who got it as a birthday present.

His first time, and he's only on an er6, so naturally novice group. Wtf is with all the full spec experts in novice? Scared the living you know what's out of him, he's doing 80 mph getting passed on both sides by bikes doing 100+!

This was no limits. There were not many people who were novice but I think its bang out of order just chucking him in there. By end of the first sighting lap he was miles behind everyone else as instructors had buggered off with the fast boys and he had no lines or idea what to do, he ended up coming off 5 minutes early as he got confused and though the session was over.

He got better with encouragement from us but then ended up chasing people on slicks trying to follow their lines (never a good idea)

Do they always just let all the extra experts sign up for novice? Because at first I was well gutted I hadn't come on my bike, but after watching him struggle I am glad I didn't waste the cash.

Your mate just sounds really slow. My mates like that and ive seen them while watching. Usually they switch people around in groups. Faster riders dont book novice group, novices bunch up, weave across the track and are generally unpredictable and when you have caught the back of the pack up then trying to get around 10 bikes with diffrent ideas of taking a corner can be a nightmare.

He was pretty slow. I thought it's be wierd to have experts choosing to be on novice, but I don't know many novices with track bikes, tyre warmer and slicks....uunless I'm confused what a 'novice' is.

if a track day is full in the faster groups you get some of them booking in to novice which spoils it for others!

when I did my first track day I shit myself at the pace to start off with! after a few laps there was people sticking it up the inside while dragging a knee and all sorts!!!

a few sessions later things changed and I got in to the swing of it and was passing those knee draggers myself!

talking to a few of them some had done a fair amount of track days! although they where shit at riding :lol:

My mates just started trackdays with me. Hes slow, in novice but has a genny, warmers dont run slicks though. Just because hes starting out dosnt mean he shouldnt give himself the best start. Hes on a track fairing 749s. Hes done two days.

• 3 weeks later...

Right then my old fruits.

There's a couple of days at Snet 300 coming up in a couple of weeks - there's Novice on Monday 11th May and General (i.e. novice, intermediate and advanced) on Friday 15th May. Both are £99 a pop.

The long range forecast is sun all the way and I'm booking the inters group on the Friday as soon as my boss approves my leave request. :-)

Anyone else up for it?

I'm at Rockingham on the 10th and Silverstone on the 18th so I can not get anymore time off work for them days, don't worry about me though if you have some others interested. I was at Bedford Monday which was a good day, took me a while to get my head round track though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Testicles - missed out on Snet on 3rd. :-( Looks like Cadwell on 10th instead.

Anyone know of a B&B/hotel nearby that: a) is cheap, b) has somewhere I can stick my car/trailer combo without it getting nicked?

Ta,

Fro