Draggin/Hood Jeans

Guest MNO

Since I found I can get a fairly nice insurance quote on a cbr600, and the fact I dont think I'd last long without a bike, it's looking like I'll be going for my test.

If I get a big bike I'll definitely be wanting some more protection, and I find leathers/textile trousers would be a massive pain in the arse so I'll be getting some kevlar jeans.

I've looked at Draggin and Hood (just asked for a hood info pack/catalogue), I know everyone seems to rate Draggin, but never heard of Hood before. Anyone have any opinions on either of them? Or tips for ordering with regards to size?

Thing is, alot of the Hood jeans imo just dont look great, but the Draggin next-gens look pretty nice (I want to feel safe AND look good :wink: ) http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/products ... extGen.htm

Share your thoughts!

Guest philgale

the only people i know with these jeans is F4113N and akey, i know akey didnt get draggin but dont know what he got but they were cheaper

worth a quick PM to him....im tempted with a pair TBH for commuting with so will follow this thread :thumb:

Heard Draggin Jeans are good... Just looked at Hood Jeans and they look just as good....

Could not tell from the Hood Jeans site if they come with Knee and Hip Armor, but the site sells Knox armor for their jeans at a reasonable price.

I am hoping to treat myself to some of these as well.... Depends on finances throughout the year though...

Heard Draggin Jeans are good... Just looked at Hood Jeans and they look just as good....

Could not tell from the Hood Jeans site if they come with Knee and Hip Armor, but the site sells Knox armor for their jeans at a reasonable price.

I am hoping to treat myself to some of these as well.... Depends on finances throughout the year though...

I remember reading somewhere on the Hood site that you can ask for knee slits for armour inserts.

Guest philgale

instead of paying more to have cuts put in them and adding armor just get some of these

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/2009_Troy_Lee_Designs_Padded_Impact_Shorts_Black_Red.jpg

sold in most motorbike stores and pretty cheap too and can also go under textile pants or leathers too

I have red route jeans, they have more kevlar than draggin and are cheaper, I also looked at Hood and all 3 are well made so will do you fine. None of them have armour as standard so you will need to buy either armour to fit in them or as phil has said get some of the armour shorts.

I remember reading somewhere on the Hood site that you can ask for knee slits for armour inserts.

I have some Hood jeans. The spaces/velcro for fitting armour is standard, but you have to pay extra for the actual knee/hip pads. They are very well made, but the cut doesn't suit me well (I presume they would fit others better) - the only issue with Hood is that you have to buy them online (cheaper than buying Draggin from a shop though.

I've got BIG legs (body builder/power lifter) and never find jeans to fit. With a 34" waist I need to usually get 38-40" jeans, just to get my legs in the holes, and even that's dependant on make :(

Some makes (Animal for example) fit OK.

Are there any makes that I should look for that have a really loose fit? Obviously if I'm wearing them on a bike they need to fit perfect.

Also, anywhere I can try them on near Salisbury, Southampton, Bournemouth etc?

Thanks

Wow, didn't know theres jeans that are speciality for motorbike. I thought all jeans' same, so I use my regular jean whenever I ride my bike. So.. I think I'll buy that Draggin one, its look cool.

Wow, didn't know theres jeans that are speciality for motorbike. I thought all jeans' same, so I use my regular jean whenever I ride my bike. So.. I think I'll buy that Draggin one, its look cool.

Normal jeans dont last a second. I had a fairly low-speed off, got flipped and landed on my knees. Week in hospital, probably the worst week of my life (NHS IS SHIT), had the same bloodsoaked bed sheets for the time I was there, wont go into a full on rant about it :lol: 2 operations later to remove grit from my right kneecap (you could actually see my kneecap), and then a month of not being able to walk/limping. Oh, and a pretty scar.

I've still been wearing jeans to be honest, just a personal choice I made when I weigh'd up how much I actually use my bike nowadays.

That'll all change once I pass my test though.

It's your decision really, but you can't really make one without knowing whats out there that you could use (like draggin) and what the consequences of not using them are.

Guest Mr Miller

Does anyone on here wear those armoured shorts that Phil mentioned?

Them and kevlar reinforced jeans could be the answer to a rather.......*ahem!*........warm and moist crotch - of which I am suffering from today, due to it being a day when I brought the bike to work!

Any info on those shorts would be gratefully received!

I've got BIG legs (body builder/power lifter) and never find jeans to fit. With a 34" waist I need to usually get 38-40" jeans, just to get my legs in the holes, and even that's dependant on make :(

Some makes (Animal for example) fit OK.

Are there any makes that I should look for that have a really loose fit? Obviously if I'm wearing them on a bike they need to fit perfect.

Also, anywhere I can try them on near Salisbury, Southampton, Bournemouth etc?

Thanks

I'm similar to you, I have a pair of 38 inch Hood jeans, they bunch up too much at the waist.

But they do offer custom sizing, and I would consider getting legs cut for a 38 waist with an actual waist size of 34 if I bought another pair, but custom sizes are not returnable, so it's a risk.

I tried on some 36 draggins (the largest the shop had) and I couldn't fit my legs past my knees.

Edit: I just checked the site again, it lists the waist/hip/thigh/hem sizes and the length is your own choice. When I got mine I called them and they offered a custom sizing.

They are not the best looking jeans though.

bbobeckyj - Thanks for help, couple more questions

1. How 'light' are they compared to other jeans. I mean, am I gonna sweat my bollox off in the summer, or are they like regular jeans?

2. If you have armour, does it get in the way (like on textiles), or is it discrete?

Thanks

They are heavier, the aramid/kevlar is kinda like rough wool, maybe like old army clothing from WW1, a bit scratchy, not too bad though.

You will sweat off the bike in summer, but it's nice & cool on the bike. It's better than leather or textiles.

Armour is bulky, especially the hips, you also need to account for the size of the hip armour as you need to belt up around your waist, not your hips as is normal for normal jeans, if you don't, you''ll have no protection around your hips, but then you may want to drop them to your hips when off the bike so you don't look like your grandad.

Knee armour is ok, a bit nobbly if you look for it.

I use Voto jeans which I bought on e-bay. If you watch sometimes they go for best offer I paid £30 for the first pair. I have been knocked of badly once with them on and the integrity of them is still good.

But I do think that they are tighter on the legs than normal jeans so be aware!

TnT

I recently bought pair of draggin jeans and found no noticable difference in weight and were as comfy as normal jeans, never knew about the other types so cant compare (i thoght Akey had bought Draggin Jeans :-) )

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some Red Route jeans the other day and they are no different to normal jeans in weight etc. The kevlar only covers arse, hips, and down to the knees. They also have a pocket for knee pads and hip pads however I've found the pockets too small for my knox armour so I've had to use some american football knee pads which fit very well. Not sure how well they'll do the job but they've protected my knees for years on rock hard ground during matches and training so they're better than nothing.

I've also nipped to a bike shop we have here in Nottingham and he sells RST denim jeans. They look pretty trendy too, which was the biggest drawback for me when it comes to Draggin jeans, and they only cost £65 or thereabouts.

I do recommend denim jeans though, I've not come off my bike in them but they aint half comfy and don't let a draft through either as I found out on the motorway yesterday at quite a high speed. ;)