Draggin/Hood Jeans

Guest MNO

After riding around in my normal jeans for a bit yesterday (I know, tut tut) I am quite tempted to get some of these kevlar jeans... the nearest stockist is well over an hour away from me but I guess it would be worth going and having a look.

The one thing im not sure of is how you get armor (knee pads specifically) in them without it making them 1. look stupid and 2. not fit very well...

After riding around in my normal jeans for a bit yesterday (I know, tut tut) I am quite tempted to get some of these kevlar jeans... the nearest stockist is well over an hour away from me but I guess it would be worth going and having a look.

The one thing im not sure of is how you get armor (knee pads specifically) in them without it making them 1. look stupid and 2. not fit very well...

You can't. :D I tried some of my american football knee pads in my red route as they are quite thin and not too big but do protect well on solid, sun baked earth and you could tell they were in there. I've decided to just were the denim/kevlar jeans on my short trips to uni but wear my full on RST bike jeans for any long/fast journeys.

You can't. :D I tried some of my american football knee pads in my red route as they are quite thin and not too big but do protect well on solid, sun baked earth and you could tell they were in there. I've decided to just were the denim/kevlar jeans on my short trips to uni but wear my full on RST bike jeans for any long/fast journeys.

Could always just get some external knee pads and take 'em off when not riding. might do that meself :P The hip padding doesn't seem to show, and even if it is, it's easily removable when off the bike. At keast that's the case on my Mohar jeans.

doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of having biking jeans though? I mean to me the point of them is that they look and feel just like normal jeans but offer far more protection, so if your having to then put something over them that stops them looking and feeling like normal jeans just to get more protection then I dont understand why you would want these jeans instead of leathers or textiles that have armor built in.

doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of having biking jeans though? I mean to me the point of them is that they look and feel just like normal jeans but offer far more protection, so if your having to then put something over them that stops them looking and feeling like normal jeans just to get more protection then I dont understand why you would want these jeans instead of leathers or textiles that have armor built in.

Because this way I don't have to carry a change of clothes with me?

I CAN put armour inside the jeans, but it's a pain to do so (even though that's what i do right now)

The armour in the Red Route is noticable, but it is not a problem. You could walk around with it. Or you can easily take it out and pop in your helmet/gloves. It's not as substancial as the armour in my textiles, but does feel good enough

Just read this from another forum about Draggin Jeans he was wearing in an off at 65mph. (American if you hadn't guessed)

Draggin Jeans Camo Kevlar cargo pants: I had not attached the included knee armor and paid for it a bit. I have a silver dollar sized road rash pdatch on one knee and a scrape on my shin on the other leg. The kevlar patch on my knee did fail, but I feel that it did it's job considering the speed I was traveling. The pant's aren't for freeway riding and had I used the knee armor I'm positive I'd have had zero injury from this crash. The hip and arse portion were very scuffed up but the outer fabric did not wear through to the kevlar. I'd buy these again so long as I was brighter and stayed off the freeway with them.

• 2 months later...
So best to use for town riding then ... not motorways or high speed A roads

If I am taking the bike to work I wear mine.

Usually take the motorway home, but I am not on it for long, and it's an urban motorway for the most part 50 to 60 for 4 miles, then 70 for the last 3 or 4 miles.

Certainly wouldn't use them for a long ride out though.

I've got BIG legs (body builder/power lifter) and never find jeans to fit. With a 34" waist I need to usually get 38-40" jeans, just to get my legs in the holes, and even that's dependant on make :(

Some makes (Animal for example) fit OK.

Are there any makes that I should look for that have a really loose fit? Obviously if I'm wearing them on a bike they need to fit perfect.

Also, anywhere I can try them on near Salisbury, Southampton, Bournemouth etc?

Thanks

Try Three Cross Motorcycles near Bournemouth - I got my bike there and they threw in a pair of Triumph kevlar jeans for free. They are tight in the waist (I had to get them in a 34", I'm usually a 32") but the legs are too huge and flappy! I have the opposite problem to you - I am a tall and slender.

I bought a cheaper version of draggin/hood jeans off ebay for £38 delivered, and the kevlar inside is pretty strong and thick enough to last as long as leathers down the road.

Also it came with added pockets inside to add hip protector and knee protectors.

A utter bargain compared to hood/draggin jeans but the only problem is you can tell there kevlar jeans, unlike some of the newer more known brands that hide stiching for the kevlar