Back Packs & Top Boxes: Safety

Not trying to intentionally put anyone off backpacks here but..

I was told they were dangerous to wear whilst on bikes, because if you come off the impact will majorly screw up your back?

I've intentionally avoided using one for that very reason, and keep ramming my panniers full of stuff instead - anything to avoid a back pack.

Is this right? Wrong? Any back packs where this is not the case?

I'm also considering a top box, but have been put off substantially by the story on here of the guy being rammed by a car from behind and his back smacked straight into the top box first - he was wearing a back protector so he was OK, but i don't, so i don't want to chance it. Again, anything that can be done to make the top box thing safe? (it would be really convenient to have one)

I don't use a backpack regularly (have in the past) and use a topbox most days for work. I don't concern myself with what if scenarios... I just carry my stuff and enjoy riding a bike :)

I suppose it could be dangerous. I have the Kriega r25 with a back protector in and a back protector in my jacket. I don't know as i luckily havent ever come off but surely not many people land directly on their back when they come off?

I tend to use a tank bag when carting all my stuff around.

At the moment I'm still waiting for my new tank cover to arrive (more about that in a new thread when the time is right :roll: )

so I put my stuff in a back pack but I cargo net it to the back of me on the pillion seat.

I don't use a backpack regularly (have in the past) and use a topbox most days for work. I don't concern myself with what if scenarios... I just carry my stuff and enjoy riding a bike :)

Same

I cant imagine a backpack being dangerous unless your carrying rocks in it or something,

Im just thinking if im sliding down the floor on my back, ima welcome the laptop thats coming between me and that very abrasive stuff whizzing past.

:stupid:

i use a backpack daily for work. I put the softest stuff (clothes etc) nearest my back and the other stuff further away. |to be honest, im a bit of a tight A$$ and spending 200 big ones on a box is something i cant justify just now

I use a backpack for work only wouldn't really want to spoil the bike with a top box and am not old enough to really own one :wink:

As for a bum bag these are to be avoided at all cost not because they maybe dangerous just that you will instantly look a dick :lol:

Oh and I also dont do what if scenario's!

I suppose if the top box wasnt there the car could have rammed into him... maybe it protected him from a worse scenario..

I think as long as you ..

1. make sure its in good condition, straps, zips etc

2. make sure loose straps are secured.

3. dont have heavy/sharp objects in it

4. make sure its all zipped up and clipped properly

it should be ok.

Im sure there will be occassions when someone has come off bike and backpack has protected them... life is full of what ifs.... if we worried about all eventualities, we prob wouldnt ride at all .. :)

I use a small backpack in which I carry my books and some stationary etc. There are very good biking rucksacks that have integrated back protectors. I have an Oxford one which is excellent.

In my younger days I had an accident whilst wearing a rucksack. I did a 360 degree spin over a car and landed on my backpack. It saved me from loads of damage and I was so glad I wore it that day.

As for boxes on the back of your bike, well if you watch the Long Way Round Ewan has an accident in American. Ewan manages to stay on his bike (I'm sure his panniers helped) and the car that rammed him ends up totalled (which was caused by the panniers).

• 1 month later...

I wear one with a laptop and random other small items in it every day to work. I've never really thought about safety for it :shock:

I feel safe, comfy and confident using it on the tiger (spacious, upright riding position). Reading the above, I may look into getting a backpack made for bikes...

I sometimes wear one. It's an ourdoorsy type thing with a strap around the waist and one around the chest with clips on. I used it nearly everytime I went out when I started biking - I didn't have a back protector then so used to stick a Haynes manual in it!!

I actually feel quite a bit 'safer' with one on sometimes. Privided the bag isn't overloaded and likely to cause a 'twist' when it comes to falling off I don't see the problem. The only reason I won't carry my laptop in there is because if I do come off and need to spend time on the ward I'm going to want something to check email on!

I used to use a backpack - a Givi one, v good, but found it was just too restrictive and sweaty in the summer (what summer), so on my VFR I've got the topbox, which doesn't look great, but is very practical, and I can use it to store my helmet and gloves reasonably securely.

For odd rides about when I've not got my workstuff I'm gonna get a tankbag most likely..

I wear one with a laptop and random other small items in it every day to work. I've never really thought about safety for it :shock:

I feel safe, comfy and confident using it on the tiger (spacious, upright riding position). Reading the above, I may look into getting a backpack made for bikes...

i have heard about computer harware actually contributing to the safty of the rider. that was a long time ago though, and was probably riding pushbikes... wouldn't say that a laptop is going to improve you safety at all. might help you slide a bite longer..