short notice bike test available next week - should i?

hi guys,

I've had my CBR125 for just under 6 months now but I've only recently started to ride it a lot and although I'm getting better at general control etc I'm certainly still no pro and make a few mistakes (which is to be expected). I've started to take lessons with my local bike school for my A2 (restricted) test and have only had 1 lesson so far (for 1 hour).

I had assumed that I would have to do the new test but the bike school just rang me to tell me that there is a test available next tuesday but they need me to confirm whether or not I want it by 1 PM tomorrow.

If I didnt have any lessons between now and the test date then I would definitley decline it but I've got a 2 hour lesson booked on saturday and also just booked an extra 2 hours on sunday. I wish I could wait until after those lessons to decide if I want to take my test next week but unfortunately I cant..

I know its impossible for you guys to give a definitive answer, especially as you have never seen me ride etc but anyone got any advice/comments? Should I go for it or should I wait until I have had more lessons and do the new test?

Perhaps anyone who has taken their restricted test recently - how many hours worth of lessons did you need?

I'm kind of leaning towards taking this one next week because if I fail then oh well its only £80 down the drain but if I pass then I've probably saved a fair bit of money on lessons (and petrol riding to one of the new test centres) plus I dont have to wait anywhere near as long before I can get a bigger bike... but I dunno.

Looking at some of your recent post you seem to be a thoughtful rider, but possibly too analytical: road position, lifesavers, left turns etc..

You might well pass next week but I think you would benefit from a few more lessons to get you more at home on the bike/road.

Ask your instructor if he thinks you are up to the required standard. If he thinks so go for it, if you do pass and wish to have a bit more training you can still do more before you go for a bigger bike.

Your shout.

Looking at some of your recent post you seem to be a thoughtful rider, but possibly too analytical: road position, lifesavers, left turns etc..

I dont know if your saying me asking about road position, life savers etc is a bad thing but I only asked about them because I wanted to make sure I was practicing the 100% correct thing for my test (and for 'real' riding too of course). I didnt want to spend the two weeks between my last lesson and my next one practicing on my own only to find that I had been doing something a bit wrong and had got into a bad habbit thats all :)

However I do certainly appreciate that if I do pass my test next week then I could do with some more training as I will still be very new to riding and will have (hopefully) a 600cc bike sat underneath me, albeit a restricted one.

Ask your instructor if he thinks you are up to the required standard. If he thinks so go for it, if you do pass and wish to have a bit more training you can still do more before you go for a bigger bike.

Your shout.

thats the thing though, as I have only had one hours worth of lessons and that was mostly just an introduction to the various manoevers and techniques etc (and that was nearly 2 weeks ago) I dont think my instructor really has much of an idea of my 'standard' at this moment in time. He did say that I had good general bike control etc but obviously there is a lot more to it than just controlling the bike :)

Your shout.

thats the thing though, as I have only had one hours worth of lessons and that was mostly just an introduction to the various manoevers and techniques etc (and that was nearly 2 weeks ago) I dont think my instructor really has much of an idea of my 'standard' at this moment in time. He did say that I had good general bike control etc but obviously there is a lot more to it than just controlling the bike :)

Still ask him.

I wasn't criticising, Chris, we were all the same when we started out It's merely an observation that that stuff should be almost second nature by the time you take your test, so you can concentrate on what you need to do for the test rather than the little stuff.

If you're aware of the need for some top-up training afterwards, go for it and good luck.

I took a short notice test and passed 2 weeks ago, I only had my 125 for 2 weeks before that and no other notable riding experence for 15 yeras before that.

I paid the £80 test fee, and got lots of ride time in on my own bike, did the test and passed.

I do have considerable road knowledge and knew a lot about the route the test was conducted on, so that went in my favour. I also spent time in carparks out of the way trying to do the U turn, if you are a car driver you may need to practise the STOP as some car drivers tend to use the back brake instead of the front.

any questions just ask and good luck.

spike123 - good to know that someone in a similar situation passed :) well done btw :D

I think I'll go for it then as Im not fussed about loosing £80 really and even if I fail at least it will give me a good idea of what to expect next time so I can prepare a little better.

I'm off out now to practice :D

I think, if you aren't worried about the £80, then you should consider taking it. It coudl be suggested if your training school have contacted you, rather than the other way around about the test, maybe they think you are ready.

However, my concern, in honesty, is that once having a full license, you will just decide to have no further training. However looking at your posts, you seem to think you need more training, and based on your posts alone, as i have never seen you riding, I think you would benefit from more training too.

Motorbikes are fun, but they are also death traps if not used properly. I passed my test fully confident that i could control a bike, having sat the correct training, I have had a couple of near misses, but i think due to my training, its how they stayed as a near miss, and not a crash.

I personally would not like to ride with a full license, knowing im not trained fully.

Also have you sat your theory test yet? Have you read up on the show me tell me questions, and the pillion questions?

Are you comfortable with emergency stops, U turns, and such like?

If all of the above you are, then go for it. But IMO, definately seek further training after your test.

I think I'll go for it then as Im not fussed about loosing £80 really and even if I fail at least it will give me a good idea of what to expect next time so I can prepare a little better.

I think that's a good idea.

If you fail at least you will know exactly what you need to practice a bit more. If you pass then waaaaheeeyyy :up: :up: :cheers: resticted 600 here we come !!!!!!

As other people have already said, you can always do extra training after you pass. Which is something I'm looking into at the moment.

I think, if you aren't worried about the £80, then you should consider taking it. It coudl be suggested if your training school have contacted you, rather than the other way around about the test, maybe they think you are ready.

However, my concern, in honesty, is that once having a full license, you will just decide to have no further training. However looking at your posts, you seem to think you need more training, and based on your posts alone, as i have never seen you riding, I think you would benefit from more training too.

Motorbikes are fun, but they are also death traps if not used properly. I passed my test fully confident that i could control a bike, having sat the correct training, I have had a couple of near misses, but i think due to my training, its how they stayed as a near miss, and not a crash.

I personally would not like to ride with a full license, knowing im not trained fully.

Also have you sat your theory test yet? Have you read up on the show me tell me questions, and the pillion questions?

Are you comfortable with emergency stops, U turns, and such like?

If all of the above you are, then go for it. But IMO, definately seek further training after your test.

I have not read up on the show me tell me questions as I didnt realise there was a website or book that listed them, I thought the instructor would just go through those with me at the weekend. As for U turns and emergency stops, I've been out practicing them tonight - U turns sucked at first but I think yet again that was down to my super squeeky back brake that almost shouts at me whenever I press it, as once I had lubed that up a bit and it shut up so I wasnt afraid to use it, I could do them fine 9 times out of 10.

Like I said - I dont feel like I am ready for my test right now but I'm hoping more practice and 4 hours of lessons over the weekend are going to make me a bit better :)

I definitely recommend going for it. The worst that can happen is that you go away from the test having had a ride and some constructive criticism on how to nail the test next time. The fact that you are considering your options like this suggests to me that you have a good head on your shoulders.

Having said that, don't let it go to your head - get in there and have a good ride. :D

Good luck!

I would have a go, what u got to lose? You can learn so much from the test... and know what it is theyre looking for. If you fail, make sure you're clear why and you know what to improve next time.

I say have a go.... i did... failed first time... but passed the next one :)

OK well I've just booked it, its next Tuesday at 11:45 :) I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes :D

One quick test related question thats probably not worth its own thread - at the moment I ride around in textiles top and bottom and gloves but I do not yet have any proper boots so I ride in my trainers. I was planning on buying some in a couple of weeks before I did my test but obviously now the test is a lot sooner than I thought. So my question is, do you think I should rush out and buy some boots at the weekend before the test or will they not care that im in trainers? The only thing I'm concerned about is not being used to them by Tuesday for the test as I'm sure its a bit different to wearing trainers.. but I dont know having never worn any proper biking boots.

From a professional viewpoint I can tell you that trainers are never a good choice for riding in.

Do you have anything like Doc's or any heavy duty work/walking boot? These offer much more protection than flimsy trainers.

Bike boots shouldn't be too difficult to get used to though, if you can find some to buy locally in time.

Unfortunately not, I've got trainers or trainers...

There's 3 motorbike dealers near me so I'm sure I can find some locally if I need to..

Oh and I just remembered that I never did get round to ordering a replacement tax disc when I noticed it was missing ages ago! (I know, im an idiot) The bike is taxed, it just doesnt have a disc, so you have to go to a DVLA office to get a replacement. So I thought oh well i'll just go get one from the DVLA office in Lincoln on Saturday but they are not open on weekends! I hope work dont mind me taking half of Monday off to go sort that out as well as tuesday off for the test :(

A couple of the guys who done their DAS at the same time as me wore boots which were ok. I would agree that bike boots aren't difficult to get used to (other than walking in!) and I actually found it easier to ride with them as mine have a hardened patch over the toe for the gear selector.

Well done on booking the test though and hope it goes well!!