Any super shield back protector users?

Hello! :D

I'm going to take the plunge and buy a back protector as I enjoy my functions as they are. Anyway I have come across (he he) this back protector http://www.getgeared.co.uk/SUPER_SHIELD_Back_Protector_Belt?sc=20&category=-120 and wondered if anyone has/had one?

It is CE level 2 approved so I guess it has the protection, I am suspicious that its only has 2 sizes and might not suit all bodies. I have got £100 to spend on a back protector but at half the price of knox/forcefield ones it does tempt me as I also want some new gloves.

So all opinons will be greatly recieved!

Looks OK to me mate, and at level 2 you can't go wrong. I haven't tried this one but from looking at the images the first things I've noticed are that it seems to go quite high up the back so might rub on your neck, also the straps look pretty tight under the arms so could rub/cut off blood a bit.

I've got a Knox Contour, and although you say you'd like to save the money I'm glad I went for the Knox. It's got good upper back protection without rubbing on my neck, and the straps fasten without going under my arms so it feels really comfy. There are two types as well, one for upright riding and one that goes slightly further down the back to cover the tail bone for crouch position race riding.

However like I said before the one you've suggested is level 2 and pretty much any back protector is going to be better than the rubbish foam padding in most jackets.

Pretty much mirroring what Pete has said... Level 2 CE approved, so great, but comfort is important. The Knox's are very comfy and I have heard the Forcefields are just as comfy as well.

Remember the idea is to put one to use in the event of an accident, not have an uncomfy one cause you to have an accident as it's taken your concentration away from the road....

Plus the Knox has add ons you may want in the future such as chest protection..

Cheers guys

It is the comfort thing i'm worried about and I must admit those shoulder straps do look odd.

Trouble i'm having at moment is finding a shop that has back protectors in stock. Rang 3 close to me today, 2 only order them in and other only has Dainese ones.

Anyone know a shop in sussex that have a good range of back protectors in stock?

just wondered if I could ask a newbie question - do back protectors sit inside your jacket? I've seen a few in shops but not up close - do you strap them to yourself, or wear them in a pocket somewhere? My jacket looks like it's got a pocket back protector could go in.

Sorry if it's a silly question :)

just wondered if I could ask a newbie question - do back protectors sit inside your jacket? I've seen a few in shops but not up close - do you strap them to yourself, or wear them in a pocket somewhere? My jacket looks like it's got a pocket back protector could go in.

Sorry if it's a silly question :)

both! as far as i know (someone correct me if im wrong here) but you can get back protectors that strap onto your body, under your jacket.

or you can get ones that sit into a pocket of your jacket, like your one. Although from what ive been reading strap persoinally seems the btter option to me! and am lookin into investing in one myself!

Josh

x

Josh is correct, both can be purchased if your jacket has an appropriate pocket for them.

I would highly recommend you buy a seperate one that straps to your body with shoulder straps and a waist strap. In the event of an accident these will not move around as much and will provide you with better protection.

Just make sure that if you intend to buy one that it fits under your jacket!! Would be a downer to buy one then realise you can't zip up!!

After a bit of travelling and trying on back protectors and looking a bit of a nob sitting on bikes I don't own I decided the ones I tried on (Dainese, Knox, forcefield and some unbranded) were all similar and the comfort would only be knwn by actually wearing one while riding for a bit soooooooooooooooo

I went for the cheapish one that I first saw the damn skin flint I am! :mrgreen:

I shall let you all know how it is when it arrives!

Oh and cheers for the link Korben

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note on how that cheap back protector I bought is......

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/SUPER_SHIELD_Back_Protector_Belt?sc=20&category=-120

I've lived with it for a week now and have to say it's pretty comfy! The under the armpit straps are a bit odd at first but don't need to be too tight to stay in place. It is flexible enough to bend with my back when in a riding position. A few I tried on (knox & forcefield) had more padding than this one but again it is comfy when riding, I don't notice it until I get off and sweat buckets.

The actual protection part of it covers my spine from top to bottom but it doesn't have any protection over the shoulders or kidneys.

For £50 i'm well pleased with it!

Guest Mr Miller

Don't laugh................

Have you taken the foam insert out of your jacket or are you using both at the same time?

I am looking at getting a back protector next and there's been loads of helpfull advice on here - but I can't decide what the best course of action would be!

Any help, as always, would be most greatfully received!

Cheers,

:cheers:

Don't laugh................

Have you taken the foam insert out of your jacket or are you using both at the same time?

I am looking at getting a back protector next and there's been loads of helpfull advice on here - but I can't decide what the best course of action would be!

Any help, as always, would be most greatfully received!

Cheers,

:cheers:

My jacket doesn't have a foam insert so its just the old super shield cheapo. I also couldn't decided which one to get as all the ones I tried on felt pretty similar and if it has the relevant level 2 CE markings then the protection is pretty much the same also.

I had £100ish to spend on one but being a tight Yorkshireman I couldn't resist one that was half the price. If I wasn't tight I would have got a knox contour.

Good luck with your quest to protect your back