traffic laws

Guest superhans

Hi everyone,

just wondering if i can pick some brains. I've recently bought a gsxr600 and have obviously been spending lots of time on it. As you would guess it's really tempting to go around anything and everything...(cause you can) obviously within the speed limits! I found on A roads that are backed up with queing traffic that it's very very tempting to cut between them. My question is; Is this legal? I'm sure it's not, but have you ever tried to not do it. Also, what are the police like if you do get stopped doing this?

thanks.

Is that cos 90 is above the speed limit. :wink:

You can cross solid white lines when something is moving slower than 15 mph (i believe the speed is) so in stationary traffic that would be fine also.

You can cross solid white lines when something is moving slower than 15 mph (i believe the speed is) so in stationary traffic that would be fine also.

I don't think that is the case mate. I think they list only three reasons to do so, horse, cyclist and slow moving farm machinery or something like that. You can however pass any vehicle if there is room to do so between the vehicle and the white line. As long as you don't cross the white line then you are fine.

Crossing Solid White Line - No vehicle shall cross or straddle but shall keep to the left of a continuous white line nearest to the vehicle except where it is safe, and if necessary to do so :-

- to enter land or premises or a side road, or to pass a stationary vehicle, or owing to circumstances outside the control of the driver, or in order to avoid an accident, or

- to pass a road maintenance vehicle which is in use and moving at not more than 10 m.p.h. and displaying a keep right arrow

or

- to pass a pedal cycle moving at not more than 10 m.p.h. or to pass a horse moving at not more than 10 m.p.h., or

- for the purpose of complying with any direction of a constable in uniform or a traffic warden.

From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070306

This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

So overtaking a car/lorry/motorbike is not permitted.

Nope!

As listed in the Highway Code - if it isn't listed you don't overtake unless it's stationary.

From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070306

This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Yeah you can, as long as it's stationary. This was mentioned a while back in another thread (read from my point on about halfway down the page):

http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... white+line

In answer to your original question about overtaking traffic jams on A roads, like Techno says - yes you can. If it's a dual carriageway or motorway and you're filtering try to keep the speed low. Anything over 20-30mph region is classed by some police as riding dangerously, and if the traffic you're filtering through is doing that speed then it's time to rejoin because you're undertaking them!

There have been quite a few threads about this sort of stuff but general rules when filtering (as well as the one above) are that on a motorway try to keep between the outside and middle lane, not inside and middle lane (less lorries, people expect you more, no junction to deal with, etc.) and on A-roads make sure that if traffic is coming the other way that you can see somewhere to pull back in so you don't whack into them!

Nope!

As listed in the Highway Code - if it isn't listed you don't overtake unless it's stationary.

What if someones pushing it :mrgreen:

Nope!

What if someones pushing it :mrgreen:

Then it's not stationary :P

That would be to the letter of the law!

You can only overtake bicycles that are travelling at less than 10mph - so some of the lycra clad pervs keen cyclists can hold up a whole line of traffic on some twisty roads!

That would be to the letter of the law!

You can only overtake bicycles that are travelling at less than 10mph - so some of the lycra clad pervs keen cyclists can hold up a whole line of traffic on some twisty roads!

Its only crossing the white line that isnt permitted!!! I think squeezing a bike past a car may be careless driving / riding, but you wouldnt be in breach of this particular law if you didnt cross the line!

People will still filter past slow moving and i mean slow moving traffic jams when solid white lines are there. But sometimes car drivers will move over to let you passed.

oh and here's something to get your teeth into a traffic cop told me undertaking isn't illegal.

People will still filter past slow moving and i mean slow moving traffic jams when solid white lines are there. But sometimes car drivers will move over to let you passed.

oh and here's something to get your teeth into a traffic cop told me undertaking isn't illegal.

Undertaking is legal in certain circumstances, can you name them? :lol:

Undertaking itself is not illegal as such (in that there exists no specific offence relating to undertaking), but the manoeuvre could be held to be contrary to Section 3 (Careless Driving) of the RTA 1988 (or in extreme cases Section 2 (Dangerous Driving) of the same act).

Depends very much on the type of road, the position and relative road speed of other vehicles at the time of the manoeuvre, and what other infringements are enacted at the time.

Undertaking itself is not illegal as such (in that there exists no specific offence relating to undertaking), but the manoeuvre could be held to be contrary to Section 3 (Careless Driving) of the RTA 1988 (or in extreme cases Section 2 (Dangerous Driving) of the same act).

Depends very much on the type of road, the position and relative road speed of other vehicles at the time of the manoeuvre, and what other infringements are enacted at the time.

Your reading that arnt you?

Your reading that arnt you?

I read to check which way round sections 2 and 3 are, as I can never remember without checking.

Why do you assume that I would not know this?

Well you know your traffic so your not a bencher, Im guessing your a shift worker, I think you a patrol sgt? with access to PNLD?

Hmmm... Do I take that as a compliment or an insult? :P

Stop thinking job, you're way off mark with that one 8-)