Need advice!

As a provisional rider on a CBT, can i ride a geared bike as ive just got a majorly cheap insurance quote for the brand new Yamaha WR125X, an am wonderin if am gonna have to pay for another CBT? It says on the certificate for 'Scooters & Motor Bycicles'.

Any ideas? :?: :?: :?:

Edit to Add: Never mind! Just had a closer look at the Certificate and it is for motorbikes! :D :D I am now planning my route to purchasing my Yamaha :love: Am i right in thinking gears on a motorbike are the same principle as gears on a car?

And could someone explain the gears please :)

im sure someone will give a better insight into this as me but here it is briefly,

gears: like a car? yes but no... yes in the fact its, throttle off, clutch in, gear change, cluth out throttle on...

no in the way that the gearbox on a bike is generally (1down rest up) not always i add!

This means that your gearbox could look like this:

N

bike in neutral, gear change to 1 by kickin the gear lever down usin the gear change sequence, then kick up to go to 2, 3, 4... and ofc to go down kick down to go from 4, 3, 2, 1..

to go to neutral its a half flick between 1 and 2... will tkae some gettin use too but guarentee sometimes from goin to 1 to gear 2 you will hit neutral.. just kick up again to go to 2.

Bout it i thinks?

Josh

x

As a provisional rider on a CBT, can i ride a geared bike as ive just got a majorly cheap insurance quote for the brand new Yamaha WR125X, an am wonderin if am gonna have to pay for another CBT? It says on the certificate for 'Scooters & Motor Bycicles'.

Any ideas? :?: :?: :?:

Edit to Add: Never mind! Just had a closer look at the Certificate and it is for motorbikes! :D :D I am now planning my route to purchasing my Yamaha :love: Am i right in thinking gears on a motorbike are the same principle as gears on a car?

And could someone explain the gears please :)

Josh is spot on, but if you've never ridden geared bikes, i would see if your local bike school can let you have a couple of hours on one, better on one of theirs than a spanking new bike..

So basically the down gear is to engage the gear system?

Im gonna have a go of a mates crosser an see wha its like! Im waitin on hearin back from the Army about my application so i dont know wether im gettin the bike yet :)

So basically the down gear is to engage the gear system?

Im gonna have a go of a mates crosser an see wha its like! Im waitin on hearin back from the Army about my application so i dont know wether im gettin the bike yet :)

Anything but neutral is engaged., just like when the gear stick is central in a car.

I'm not sure why it's 1 down then 4 up, why they did it that way, but the vast majority of the time it is that way.

Im waitin on hearin back from the Army about my application so i dont know wether im gettin the bike yet :)

Good Luck on the Army Application,

theres a few Ex and Current servicemen and women on here, I did 12 years RAF, and wouldn't have changed it for the world..

:cheers: