exhaust tech question

jimsoon

so i got a can i like, but its way too loud, it has a baffle in but its still really loud. I like the look of it so was wondering about how to make it quieter.

here's what i came up with to replace the perforated pipe, 54mm Dia with a conical piece also perforated from 54mm - 38mm dia, or a piece of 38mm perforated tube with a 54mm bung at each end to make up for the gap. Or leave the existing tube as it is, but weld a flat piece of perforated steel at one end to restrict flow.

all these except the last idea will be use in conjunction with a baffle/db killer.

All these will be wrapped in wadding of some sort, (preferable the best for noise reduction)

heres my sketches:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/minston2/Photo0034.jpg

the main bit is the bit that i took out of the can, i'll get a pic of it in a min....

Will this work for reducing the noise level? should I be thinking of more of a

so i got a can i like, but its way too loud,

:scratch: too loud!!! on an inline 4 never :?

the most it will reach will be about 105db which isnt too bad :?

if you are going to wrap anything in wadding though make sure its a loose fit as the tighter it is the louder it will be which could also be why your can is loud as it hasnt had chance to bed in and loosen up :)

cheers guys, its not for legality rerally, its for me, i like how it sounds now, but i dont like the look of the standard can.

heres the middle i pulled out

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n9/minston2/Photo0035.jpg

bung at each end to make up for the gap. Or leave the existing tube as it is, but weld a flat piece of perforated steel at one end to restrict flow.

all these except the last idea will be use in conjunction with a baffle/db killer.

you'll really screw up the fueling doing this. you may even find the engine does run if you restrict flow by putting bungs in.

a longer, with more perforations, the baffle is will quieten things down. but unless your prepared to check/ adjust the fueling, i'd not recomend it.

you can get replacement cans quite cheaply (less than £100) that will do a better job and not affect fueling or performance.

The manufacturers spend an ever increasing percentage of their development costs of exhaust technology, flow characteristics, noise levels, performance, emissions etc, do you seriously think for one millisecond you could actually better their efforts? Thought not. Leave well alone.

I see, I have seen the inside if a can from a cbr, looked pretty well designed, (three chambers) the can I have is straight through tho won't that have the same or more effect on the fueling than trying to baffle it.

It was just theory so far, thanks for your input. I'm happy with the standard can, but it's massive, the new one is a stubby, I think they are at opposite ends of the scale

Thanks again! ; )