Mod 2 Attempt 2

Hi all, I got my mod 2 booked for tomrrow afternoon and I hope to god I pass it this time, it isnt cheap getting a full license!

I failed the first time with just 2 minors but one of which was considered a major.

Been driving a good while now and life savers and such come fairly easy, BUT!

This is how I failed (wondering what you all thought)

My drive was smooth but at one point I passed a Tescos home delivery van which had its back doors open. The van was parked so that id have to cross the white line if I was to give the normal distance from its doors. The trafiice was flowing towards me with no sign of giving up so I dropped from 30 to 15 and went past as close to the white line as I could without being to close to the oncoming traffic. As I went past ofc I gave great attention to the van and any ppl who may step out. Then mirror checks, LS and back to 30.

Well thats a major. Worse thing is I had to ask the examiner why id failed! What I havent worked out is how I should of got past the van.

Was a bit upset tbh to go into more detail and I will ask my training school tomorrow ofc.

I think what he wanted was for me to stop, wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic and pass on the other side of the road.

Well any help will be apreciated.

Did he not tell you what you should have done?

You're probably right though, if you'd caused oncoming traffic to slow down or deviate that would also have been a major, so sitting tight and waiting might have been the thing to do - unless it contitutes failure to make progress .......... oh I give up!

Remember on the test you are riding how they want you to ride, not how you would ride once you have passed.

Had it of been my test I would have stopped and waited. If nothing else, if you wait there for 5min thats 5mins less of the test where you can make a mistake!

I think you're right on your assumption.

If you had passed the van in the correct road position then you would have caused the oncoming traffic to stop - major - but you didn't which caused you to pass the van in the incorrect position. It's the kind of thing that you wouldn't think twice about in the real world.. just carry on.

I think I had a similar thing on my first test too and I really didn't know what to do. Luckily a gap came in the traffic and I could pass easily. I think if you've been driving for a while it's easy to forget that the best thing to do sometimes is stop and wait.

Good luck with try no.2!!

Did he not tell you what you should have done?

You're probably right though, if you'd caused oncoming traffic to slow down or deviate that would also have been a major, so sitting tight and waiting might have been the thing to do - unless it contitutes failure to make progress .......... oh I give up!

Under what heading did you get your serious/dangerous fault?

I would suspect from what you have said, that a further reduction to say 5mph would of seen you pass!! The narrower the gap, the slower the speed.......... 5mph you could of stopped instantly, 15mph you couldn't

You need to make progress, you are on a bike not in a car, however you need to demonstrate anticipation...

Only my opinion though, every situation would be different, hope it helps...

W00t! Im a biker! no more L plates now :)

I drove awefull on my test this time and passed :)

My Instructor let me drive the 650 Yamaha back from the test centre and even took me on the moterway. Was an awesome bike. I asked him when I got on the bike if I should be aware of anything, he said "It wheelies in 1st 2nd and 3rd" lol

W00t! Im a biker! no more L plates now :)

I drove awefull on my test this time and passed :)

My Instructor let me drive the 650 Yamaha back from the test centre and even took me on the moterway. Was an awesome bike. I asked him when I got on the bike if I should be aware of anything, he said "It wheelies in 1st 2nd and 3rd" lol

Whoohooo!!!! Congratulations! :)

Think you're the first person on here to pass the new test (there may be others not sure) and any advise you can offer to people would be welcome... sure there will be lots of threads you can comment on in the future, or even start your own of your experience :thumb: Well done !!

I failed the first try with 8 majors - is this a record? It has really shaken my confidence.

Am going to buy a 125 to get some solo practise in and then back to lessons and a re-test in a few months.

Alan