Someone tried to nick my bike!

Well I've had the bike about 3 weeks now and already someone has attempted to nick it! It may only be a 125 but it's 2 grand of my money sitting there. I had nipped to my brothers house and the bike was at the top of his drive with the chain through the back wheel and swing arm. There's no ground anchor there tho. My parents pulled up outside, horn blasting on the car, as they saw someone trying to drag the bike from the drive still with the chain on it. They ran off and unfortunately they couldn't identify them. I was lucky someone saw them before too late.

I now want to look at putting an alarm on it if possible as I'm frequently visiting relatives and now am nervous of parking anywhere. Not too bothered about anything super loud of insurance approved, but I want a pager. Even just a silent pager without siren would do and then maybe I could catch the scum at it.

Has anyone any suggestions of a paging alarm I could fit please?

Unless you lock it to something immobile everything you buy is useless I'm afraid.

I had an R6 nicked (with chain through back wheel and expensive alarm/imm) - the guys lifted into a van and drove off. A witness got the reg no. but it was a fake.

In your situation I'd look at a ground anchor/tree/post to chain it to.

It's not the sort of bike I would expect organised crime lords to nick, armed with a handy van etc :lol: I was in the front room and would take me about 5 seconds to be outside in whic time they've got to get the thing past 2 cars up the drive. It's just to alert me to someone messing with it and for a bit of peace of mind!

It's not the sort of bike I would expect organised crime lords to nick, armed with a handy van etc :lol: I was in the front room and would take me about 5 seconds to be outside in whic time they've got to get the thing past 2 cars up the drive. It's just to alert me to someone messing with it and for a bit of peace of mind!

unfortunately 125's are the most nicked bikes going.. there lighter than most, parts are easy to source, and can be sold on to less discerning or aware bikers, due to being newbies... lock it to a street lamp.. huge light source so no antics in dark areas..

and what would you do if two men were putting your bike into a van or driving away.. if the plates are false or the vehicle nicked, you can't get far, you may stop there progress, but theyd be back knowing it had an alarm and to silence it first.. also, if they get it to sound enough times and you suspect a false trigger, disable it and then they come back, ... no one takes any notice of car alarms anyomre, most just think its faulty..

That's a lot of "what ifs", all I want is something to alert me to the opportunist idiots when it's outside my relatives house for a short while. And if 2 blokes in a van go to all that effort and are that organised then let em have it and I'll stand the insurance excess, not worth getting myself killed for. Besides I was thinking more along the lines of a paging alarm without the siren connected just so it alerts me.

At home the bikes covered by security light with remote chime so I know as soon as anyone comes in the back yard.

Or if anyone can suggest any shops in Sheffield/Chesterfield or surrounding areas that do bike alarms?

you could try Chesterfield Car Audio..

Chesterfield Car Radio Car Security, Car Audio & Entertainment Systems

Tel: 01246 274709| 390, Derby Rd, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S40 2EU

Car Audio, CD Radio With MP3, Bluetooth, Ipod Connection, Range Of Subs, Amps, Screens, DVD Navigation, Alarms , Trackers, Rear View Cameras, Parking Sensors, Expert Fitting Service

Four Master - Source Sounds & Security Car Audio & Entertainment Systems

Tel: 0114 257 1550| Thorncliffe Hall Annexe, Thorncliffe Park Estate, Chapeltown, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S35 2PH

Technicar Car Audio & Entertainment Systems

Tel: 0114 327 8055| 332, Abbeydale Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S7 1FN

Cd and ipod systems Speakers and subwoofers Fitted at Home, Office, Shop Dvd,freeview tv and screens All major brands All Professionally Installed

i'm sure any of these would be able to assist or point you in the right direction..

• 2 weeks later...
I've ordered a Abus City Chain 1010 and Abus WBA 100 Granit Wall Anchor. Errr....just need the bike now!

:laugh: haha, every little helps!

My alarm doesn't have a pager, but it's a good system. It's the Datatool System 3. Some people hate them, some love them, I think it's worth having. That, coupled with a chunky chain, Alpha Dot stickers on show, a brick built garage and two parked cars blocking the driveway means I can sleep easy at night. Though I'd still feel safer with a ground anchor, another hefty chain, a snarling angry German shepherd at the front wheel and some way of hooking the battery up to the frame.

The buggers'll try anything. All we can do as owners is try to slow them down. I think an alarm is a good deterrent, but like others have said it won't stop the most determined scum.

unfortunately 125's are the most nicked bikes going.. there lighter than most, parts are easy to source, and can be sold on to less discerning or aware bikers, due to being newbies... lock it to a street lamp.. huge light source so no antics in dark areas..

I can agree with that!

Mine was nicked back in May (inside a house for half an hour tops, heard nothing). When the police phoned back a few days later, i spoke to a biker policeman (great huh? Knowing that we're everywhere :D. First the police/tech support, then zee vvorld! *holds up a finger*... Ok, so its late...), anyway he said that alot of 125cc's get nicked in the spring, and most of them find there way to around Turkey, and even the bottom part of Spain. Easy money, fake plates and parts are easy to get without asking too many questions.

End of the day, if anyone wants it badly enough, they will get it. But thats the story with everything & its not worth getting killed over... Just claim the insurance money and prove you did everything you can to protect it (having said that, my 125 was stolen 9th of May, and im STILL waiting for the insurance!).

if you visit a particular house regularly hen grab ya self a large plant pot, pour in some cement mixture along with a D lock hanging out, let it dry and vala your home made HEAVY anchor.

then chain your bike to the D lock. No fcuker is gona drag a bike with that trailing behind :)

edit: or halve fill i with cement at the D lock and let it dry, then fill with soil and plant some plants, make it a stealth anchor!

Pretty good idea that. As it happens my brother has decided to open up the fence at the side of the house and put a ramp in rather than the steps so I'll be able to put the bike there behind a locked gate and away from prying eyes.

cmc chesterfield (i would have thought stocked em) , manhattan on chesterfield rd sheffield have a selection in stock. Ususally i use a disc lock as most chavs just want to wheel the bike somewhere quiet to start it.

cmc chesterfield (i would have thought stocked em) , manhattan on chesterfield rd sheffield have a selection in stock. Ususally i use a disc lock as most chavs just want to wheel the bike somewhere quiet to start it.

These ones were trying to take it with the chain still attached, just dragging the bike. If it's not nailed down they'll have anything these days.

I just had a new alarm and immobiliser fitted yesterday by Top Marques Security. It's a Meta M357FV2.

They're Nottingham-based and come out to fit the kit while you're at work.

Not cheap, but when you compare it to the loss in your no claims etc, it could be a winner. On offer for £249.99 fitted at the moment.

Though I'd still feel safer with a ground anchor, another hefty chain, a snarling angry German shepherd at the front wheel and some way of hooking the battery up to the frame.

i see your german shepherd, and raise you a french mastiff!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/munchies121/iPhoneUpload-4.jpg

This is when she was 1, now much bigger :), as she has recently taken a fancy to raw meat, including 5lbs of mince and 3lbs of sirloin steak :lol:

security also includes private drive away from road, gated entrance, electric garage and a disclock. seems safe enough to me :wink:

Though I'd still feel safer with a ground anchor, another hefty chain, a snarling angry German shepherd at the front wheel and some way of hooking the battery up to the frame.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/munchies121/iPhoneUpload-4.jpg

Does he put out fires, mister........ :mrgreen:

http://www.modernwomenshealth.com/Article_Images/Six-Foods/raw%20meat.jpg

Nuff said, unfortunately :(

That said, the best combination is almost certain to to be alot of noise (alarms and dogs), along with making it time-consuming to steal (very big and bad chain locked through the frame of the bike to an immovable object).

• 3 weeks later...

i know its not an alarm put try to descretly place a tracker somewhere on the bike and if the worst happend and it got nicked you could 1 fnd the ba5***ds and try to get it back wouldnt recomend unless your a gripper and have lots of gripper mates overwise so that your insurance/police could find the address it was taken to after theft and prosicute

Someone mentioned locking the chain to a tree then through your bike. Don't do this. My brother did this on his farm and wandered round to find someone with a bloody chainsaw trying to take the tree down. This was not a small tree either. His shotgun did the rest. Someone also mentioned that if they want it they will get it and this seems pretty much true. Sad, we work hard for what we buy and loser think they can go and nick it.