Parked Traffic

Guest jonathanbull

I've read quite a few places that you should do a shoulder check (life-saver) everytime you alter your course or direction.

Does this mean I should be doing the check when 'weaving' in and out of traffic that's parked either side of the road? This would certainly be a lot of checking and a lot of time with your eyes not on the road ahead - although I know you can never be too sure when on a bike. :)

If you are passing lot's of parked vehicles, then a check at the start will be fine. If you come to an open gap where their are no parked cars for say 70 - 80 metres then, if safe, maintain your position for the short period. This affirms your position, your intentions and stops you doing another shoulder check.

If you have to pull in to allow an oncoming car to pass, then yes another shoulder check is required as you move out again. Pulling in behind a parked car could be seen as you parking up. Car behind goes to pass you just as you pull out into the road again... Bam, squish!!

If you look behind you on a street and you have nothing behind you, the chances are 20 yards down the road, you will still have nothing behind you?

Umm... speeding car... another bike??

Shoulder check before u move out, use your mirrors and keep your position.... ask your instructor.. they will be able to show you :)

What do you mean 'weaving in and out of traffic parked each side of road'?

I dont understand how this would be... what kinda road?

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant most residential roads, where you have cars parked either side.

Thanks for the replies, checking at the start or if you slow down or stop seems sensible to me. :)

OK lets keep it simple!

If the change in position is just an average sized car, then mirrors will be sufficient! You will be demonstrating regular mirror checks with your Examiner as follows! DOSS Direction, Overtake, Speed and Signals

However, if the change in position was a large vehicle, for instance a Transit Van or similar, the mirrors would not be sufficient as your position would enter your Blind Spot (make sense?) That is why you Shoulder Check/Lifesaver to check your Blind Spot.

If you are passing lot's of parked vehicles, then a check at the start will be fine. If you come to an open gap where their are no parked cars for say 70 - 80 metres then, if safe, maintain your position for the short period. This affirms your position, your intentions and stops you doing another shoulder check.

Support this :wink: Let everyone clearly know what your intension is :wink:

I know where your coming from. I thought it was a lot of checking at first but when your out on the road and its explained to you it all makes sense. If in doubt ask your instructor thats what you pay them for. Get your moneys worth!

When on my recent cbt was told to use mirrors and life saver when moving out. when moving back in a life saverwould be sufficient. if there is a short break in the parked cars stay out and hold your position.