Passed but still not driving

Guest sponge

Hi folks,

I'm new to bikes and passed my CBT a week or two ago. I started of on a manual bike but just couldn't get the hang of using a clutch and could have been there all day trying to just get round in a circle. So I switched to a wee moped on the instructor's recommendation since my bike is a C90 and doesn't have a clutch but does have gears. I passed CBT, finding the moped no problems at all to drive. The instructor says I wasn't the best or the worst he's ever seen but I did good enough. Though I think I didn't nail all the off road tests and I done some kinda dumb things on the road. I was only even out on the road an hour and a half.

So I go home and have since been trying to learn to drive my bike. Even though I did learn things from CBT, it seems a bit pointless since I can't get the hang of changing gear. Well I can change gear but I can't get the timing right, I forget what gear I'm in, I forget to come off the accelerator. I feel like I need to do CBT again on my own bike but I can't afford to and couldn't get my bike there. So I want to have somewhere off road to practice but I don't have any way of getting my bike to somewhere suitable. Being on the road stresses me because I know I'm a terrible driver, possibly even dangerous, and it must be winding other drivers up. And I'm stuck being near my home where I know people are watching me. I have my parent's moaning at me to get out and drive it. It's like most of the confidence I had is gone. Hell knows how I'll manage to get used to doing 50.

It's really starting to get to me. All I want to do is drive to work but I can't see that happening soon.

So any tips? Or advise? Or anything?

hi, glad to hear you've passed your CBT

when i first started, i was shocking. on a geared 50cc, and found it difficult to get used the the gears/clutch etc.

dropped it when i tried to pull away in 5th as i forgot to change down to 1st... :roll:

even aquaplaned on the way home and nearly killed myself (don't know how i passed in the first place)

got home, hated the bike and didn't want to see it. although i got a couple of days with a fantastic instructor, and got my confidance way up. honestly, just 2 days with some 1 on 1 instruction will make the world of difference. keep at it mate, you'll get used to it.

gears were tricky at first, but it's just clutch in bang up a gear, and out again (remember to be firm when going from 1st to 2nd to avoid hitting neutral!). clutch control will come with practice, so the car park idea you suggested was a good one. just try some slow riding and stop starts etc, it'll make you way more familiar with the whole process.

hope this helps

josh

So any tips? Or advise? Or anything?

Perseverance & Practice. Keep going at it till it becomes easy, and it WILL become easy.

Find a quiet road and forget about all gears apart from 1st. Pull away, stop, pull away, stop. Rinse & repeat. Once you master a basic pull away, try changing up to 2nd gear. Build gradually so the learning curve isn't so scary.

And stop worrying about people watching you, cos they're not.

After a while it'll be just like riding a bike. Honest! :D

Like others have said perserverance is the key!

Just get up early one morning (i got up at 6 when i got my 600 so i could concentrate without having to worry about traffic and could get a hang of the bike), then just pull away, stop, pull away stop. Then one youve got that pull away, get in to second for 50metres or so then drop to first then stop. Just keep repeating it, one step at a time until you have it nailed. If you start to mess up on pulling away then stop the 2nd gear thing then go back to the beginning and practice pulling away.

If it takes you a day then brilliant! If it takes you longer then so be it, at least youll be safe :) You seem to already have taken the initiative to try and practice without going haring around so you seem sensible enough :)

Oh and post up your location in this post and on your profile. If youre close to anyone, someone may be willing to come out and give you a hand or talk you through it or something :)

Good luck and ride safe!

cheers guys

I'm working on going out to practice now. I'll do some start, stop and work from there. I had myself ok doing start, stop before then just decided to try and drive around a bit. I think the learning curve was too much hence I put myself off again. Now all I need is half an excuse (I'm a bit sleepy or there's no ideal roads road here) not to go practice and I won't but I want the end result so I suppose I need to stop being impatient

oh and don't worry about what gear you're in, I never know what gear I'm in and always end up trying for another gear even when I'm in top. Stick with it though, once you've got the clutch/throttle control the gears are a piece of cake :thumb:

/mMMmmm Cake :drool:

practice, practice, practice!

and one more thing!!

Smile! you're meant to be enjoying it :lol:

If you really are that bad/concerned, see if you can get instructor or

experienced rider to come give you some tips.

Smile! you're meant to be enjoying it :lol:

That's half the problem :lol:

I just want to drive to work, it can't be less enjoyable than the bus, but I'm still putting it off but I got as far as starting my engine today which is progress, I got it going first try