First 3 days DAS Booked!! Excited?? You betchya!

Hey All,

Booked my first 3 days DAS instruction for next week..monday weds and friday!! I WILL have a proper license before too long ...Hopefully! Hope I can master this slow-riding a bit better on a bigger bike LOL :roll: :oops:

Hey All, Just got back from first day of DAS with RJH....had a brilliant day, lots of things have started to fall into place and fortunately the slow riding is getting a bit better too! Had a very useful watch of a few mod 1 tests taking place too whilst out.

Some difference between the 125s and the 500s though eh!! No going back now!!

Can't wait for day two now!!!! :lol: :lol:

Well done! Glad to hear you are enjoying it! If you get a minute or two, could you describe what you have been doing today? Would be good to know what to expect lol :)

Cheers Claire, and yeah no problem! I guess you are coming to the same point somewhen soon then?

Well the story begins with a 1 hr taster session, as I hadn't ridden a bike for about 20 years (and that was a 1st gear only around a housing estate) so effectively a total beginner.

Booked CBT for the very next day, and loved it. Brilliant instruction, but lots to learn very quickly..for a total beginner!

So then today...started off back on the 125 (as I don't have access to a bike outside the school), and did a trip out through towns, estates, national speed limits etc around to the test centre, then back etc, taking turns in leading with the other learner (he was just about finishing his DAS course and sitting MOD1 that afternoon)....stopping in a car-park to practice low-speed handling (slalom etc) then back out on the road for the test centre.

Watched a few others do MOD 1 then Brooklyn (also on here) sat his MOD1....flew it by the way!!

So then we swapped bikes, I got the 500, he got the 125 (to his dismay I reckon LOL)...then another hour out on the roads and back to the training school. Quick assessment of the day.....then home.

I CANT WAIT for the next session on weds :D . Will update again then..if you are interested! LOL :roll:

Watched a few others do MOD 1 then Brooklyn (also on here) sat his MOD1....flew it by the way!!

Clean Sheet! 0 Faults :shock: Well done Brooklyn!!

Glad you enjoyed your day JJBS3 :wink:

Well done! Glad to hear you are enjoying it! If you get a minute or two, could you describe what you have been doing today? Would be good to know what to expect lol :)[/quote

Cheers Claire, and yeah no problem! I guess you are coming to the same point somewhen soon then?

Well the story begins with a 1 hr taster session, as I hadn't ridden a bike for about 20 years (and that was a 1st gear only around a housing estate) so effectively a total beginner.

Booked CBT for the very next day, and loved it. Brilliant instruction, but lots to learn very quickly..for a total beginner!

So then today...started off back on the 125 (as I don't have access to a bike outside the school), and did a trip out through towns, estates, national speed limits etc around to the test centre, then back etc, taking turns in leading with the other learner (he was just about finishing his DAS course and sitting MOD1 that afternoon)....stopping in a car-park to practice low-speed handling (slalom etc) then back out on the road for the test centre.

So then we swapped bikes, I got the 500, he got the 125 (to his dismay I reckon LOL)...then another hour out on the roads and back to the training school. Quick assessment of the day.....then home.

I CANT WAIT for the next session on weds :D . Will update again then..if you are interested! LOL :roll:

Thank you for taking the time to write it up! And your right, I will hopefully be at the same point as you soon :D well fingers crossed anyway! My main concern though is the difference between a 125 and a 500 but hopefully it will be alright when Im onboard lol

Hope you get on well on Wednesday- keep us in touch with how it goes! :)

Don't worry about changing to the 500 Claire, its different at first but everything works just the same and it feels more stable on the road I reckon! I've only had an hour or so on the 500 but felt much happier after the first 10 mins or so.

Will report back after tomorrows session! :D

OK DAY 2 DAS...Brilliant day again!!

For those that are interested today went as follows...

Out for a few laps of the town, a few lanes etc, then into a carpark for some slow riding practice I.E. U-turns and slaloms, 'figures of 8' etc.

Started to get a little annoyed with myself doing U-turns to be honest, as I kept putting my foot down....Instructor Nick pointed out what I was doing wrong (for reference I was pulling in the clutch as I had almost completed the turn, hence losing drive, hence losing balance. What I should have been doing was letting out the clutch further until straight!!) Ahhhha!!! Sussed that and kept going and going, then tried some 5.5 step wide U-turns...bit harder but managed it a few times none the less. :D

Then did some slaloms and '8's and back on the road.

Lots of lanes, towns, dual carriageways, and a quick stop for a look round a bike equipment shop so that Nick could explain about good gear etc. Then back on the road, more of the same to a honda dealer for a quick refreshment (REALLY HOT DAY) then back via a few lanes and towns. Heavens opened for the last 6 miles or so, which was a good experience :roll:

All in all a fantastic day, and feeling MUCH happier on the road, slow-riding, round towns, at speed, even counter-steering (what a difference that makes in cornering!!!!!)

Top Notch day, top notch instruction. Now can't wait for day 3 DAS!!! :D :D

Sounds like you had another really good day! I suppose it is good experience to ride out in the rain, just in case it is tipping it down on the test day! When is your third day?

Cheers for writing up what you have been doing, its good to know what to expect! :)

Sounds like you had another really good day! I suppose it is good experience to ride out in the rain, just in case it is tipping it down on the test day! When is your third day?

Cheers for writing up what you have been doing, its good to know what to expect! :)

Ok SO just come back from day 4...

Day 3 went like this...

Miserable weather all day...very wet and raining pretty much continuously but not a problem.

Again we had a road ride, lanes, housing estates, national speed limits etc etc, and then rode a mock test route (Module 2) which was very useful. Had a look at some bikes, and stopped for coffee.

In the afternoon, Instructor Nick took us to a quiet road and set up some mock module 1 manouveres....slalom, U turns, swerves, and emergency stops. Really was an eye-opener to do these things in the wet! I was amazed at just how much grip you have!!

And the Swerve....well don't let the bad press frighten you....we clocked most of them about 40mph in the wet without issue, then he set up the cones to the actual test-swerve (less severe). KEY THINGS Learnt...counter-steering, and no brakes!!

Then another little ride around to cool the bikes down, then de-brief.

Day 4..Today.

Glorious weather...big long road ride...Cat and Fiddle road (look it up if you haven't heard of it..some 'interesting' bikers eye views off this road on you-tube), macc to buxton, to Matlock baths, Stopped for coffee in the sun. Back to Macc via the same roads stopping for bite to eat in the cat and fiddle, back through Macc town centre, then back to the unit for some more slow-riding Mod 1 practice. 95 miles covered in all, with the C & F road twice! (Great for having to read the road as far in advance as possible, and for confidence in leanin the bike over)

SO there we go...MOD 1 monday afternoon! Fingers crossed !!!! I've loved every minute of DAS so GO DO IT!!! :wink:

Hope thats a little value for you! :D :D

Excellent write up James..

All thanks to Rob Nick & Pierre for the training they have given me to pass the Module 1 with out any faults.

Im sure you will do the same on the DAS test's..

And when we have the bike licence we can head up to matlock for that a ride out..

RJH all the way :mrgreen:

Excellent write up James..

All thanks to Rob Nick & Pierre for the training they have given me to pass the Module 1 with out any faults.

Im sure you will do the same on the DAS test's..

And when we have the bike licence we can head up to matlock for that a ride out..

RJH all the way :mrgreen:

We'll be there matey....Brilliant instruction...can't beat it!.

Indeed RJH all the way ! :wink:

No prob's :D

There are 3 of you on Module 1 Monday, (Advantage of being so close to the Module 1 Test Centre)

Ask Nick for the chosen bike, sure it will be ok :D

I am Teaching Cars all day Monday, however will try and touch base to see how you are all doing :D

Enjoy it JJBS3 Remember to look around you before you move off, even on the Module 1 test :D

Get that clean sheet eh?