Another sat nav question....

I'm planning a trip to Norway in September and am thinking about getting sat nav for the bike. Problem is I don't know which to get. Rider 2 and Zumo 550 seem to be the main options but not sure which is going to be better. Rider 2 comes complete with basic bluetooth headset and is cheaper than the Zumo which, if you get what you pay for, suggests it's not as good as the Zumo. This concurs with some opinions I've received wich point to the Zumo being easier to use.

Does anyone out there have any experience of one or the other (or both) that might help me make the decision? To be honest I probably won't use it much beyond longer trips like this so if it's a bit awkward to use it's not a problem as I won't be using it on a daily basis.

Failing that, I'll just plan it on google maps and take a print out with me :lol:

When I was deciding it just came down to choice of 2 as had never had a bike specific sat nav. TT has not got MP3 capability (which I don't want). Zumo has not got headset delivered with it, have to supply and connect your own.

My TT connects by bluetooth to helmet speaker and mobile if I wanted.

Just my choice as if want to listen to anything would listen to the radio through phone.

Personally speaking m8, I have a Rider (v1). Had it since it come out. Used it in Europe, The States....and here obviously. Very good bit of kit. Mine fell off whilst touring in Scotland in May... and still works!!! A bit battered looking like..... but still works :thumb:

Rider works for me.

2-0 to the Rider then :D

Thanks for the comments. I'm not bothered about listening to music while riding (that's what the car's for) so being cheaper and supplied with a headset maybe the Rider's the winner.

How does headset fair when used with ear plugs? I never ride without them and if I can't hear the headset it kind of negates the point of having one....just means I'll have to use my eyes and look at the screen :shock:

For me, no issues with volume and earplugs. In fact mine is still too loud, so I end up turning it down a bit.

The only thing I'd say is if you are tanking it, the instructions can be harder to hear. Mind you I could still turn mine up a bit!! But, if you miss the instruction, it is normally repeated so you get time to slow and glance at the screen. They are very easy. It only takes a glance to see where it is sending you next. There is both an icon and the route on the map....

The icon is an arrow depicting which direction next.... and the map ... well shows you where you're going :D

Guest akey

I have the same as Dan (the V1). The only issues with the V1 are the headset that came with it is not so good but thats easy to replace with a scarla rider, but I believe that the V2 comes with a scarla headset anyway. The other issue is that of the on bike holder/charger not being as good - again I believe this has been fixed with the V2, mind you with a real 5 hr batt life its not an issue for me (I have used it for 4.5 hours on the batt as I havn't fitted the power lead to the bike).

I have a mate with a Zumo, and its very good, it has more features than the rider (fuel computer, and various other bells and whistles). however it is alot more expensive than the rider.

The only other thing that the Zumo has is an on pc route planning software, however you can download TYRE for the TT for free and it works really well (both dan and I use it).

In sum - the ZUMO has lots of additional features but for me it just wasnt worth the extra expense, and the TT is a good tough suitable on bike GPS which does everything I need, so I went for the TT.

Roder V1 user here too although i dont use the headset i just glance at the screen its very easy to see especially where i mount mine :)

The only other thing that the Zumo has is an on pc route planning software, however you can download TYRE for the TT for free and it works really well (both dan and I use it).

and me to the list of TYRE users too :) its a very good program

although i do beleive there is a better program for the Zumo :?