What a good idea

I want to see a video of how this works because I can't quite imagine it.

And ditto what Matt said, if the helmet fit properly then inflating it would squish the riders head further into the helmet's padding at the front, wouldn't that be uncomfortable if the rider actually did have an injury to their neck or spine??

Inflating it may cause it you move your head to push it in an undesired way though, not worth the risk surely.. so any decent paramedic would leave it I'd have thought..

Guest philgale
Stays deflated until paramedics arrive

They can then inflate to push your helmet off ... rather than having to pull it and risk stretching or twisting your spine ...

Clever

there will still be pressure on your head, either the helmet or the bladder.....i dont see how you could safely remove a lid

• 4 weeks later...

From what i can deduce it is there so that when it inflates it will push the head down and out of the helmate.

This seems like a very good idea because to remove a helmate the emergancy services would have to pull on it therefore exerting force on the neck and spinal area which is not good!

Very very good idea and i would go for it in a heart beat IF i ever expected the emergancy services to be trained to use this kind of thing... which i very much doubt in this counrty :(

It would however be a fantastic addition to lip protection and would be fantastic if it became a basic and widly spread feature on all helmates, and as long as the services learnt how to use them :)

-Jvc

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. You will still exert force into the neck and spine, just in the opposite direction so instead of stretching the neck, you compress it. Whether or not that is deemed safer i'm not sure, I guess it depends on the injury (if there is indeed an injury.

I suppose it may be possible to support the head under the chin and take some of the force that way.

I still remain to be convinced.