Brake Lines, Chain & Sprockets

GARYJL

I hear an inpact wrench is the tool for the job getting the front sprocket off.

Don't know about brake lines, physically changing them over doesn't sound too difficult, just refilling/bleeding and stuff sounds like a bit of a chor. Would like to get braided lines myself one day.

I hear an inpact wrench is the tool for the job getting the front sprocket off.

Don't know about brake lines, physically changing them over doesn't sound too difficult, just refilling/bleeding and stuff sounds like a bit of a chor. Would like to get braided lines myself one day.

It does sound like a chore Bill, you're right. But it's really a piece of piss once you've done one. I do remember a while back actually recommending an impact wrench to someone. He liked it - I think it was one I saw in ScrewFix, just a cheapy 12V thing but it packed a massive punch.

But it's really a piece of p*ss once you've done one. I do remember a while back actually recommending an impact wrench to someone. He liked it - I think it was one I saw in ScrewFix, just a cheapy 12V thing but it packed a massive punch.

twas me pete, :cheers: i actually bought it from Argos for £30.

it still wasn't easy getting the front sprocket off though and i'd actually recomend taking the bike to a garage to change the front or at least get it loosened unless you have:

1 - no money (but you have an impact driver)

2 - eternal patience

both jobs are really easy (technically) you just need to take your time and think. like.... were is all the brake fluid going to go when you undo the bolt on the caliper?.....

ive just stripped and cleaned all my calipers on my bike i should have done a step by step guide as its the same principle ie remove the banjo bolts catch the fluid and bleeding back up!!

the hardest part is bleeding them up i use a couple of syringe's and fill it from the bottom up but all this does is get fluid in the system which makes life easier then bleed them up as normal

as for the chain and sprockets the hardest bit is removing the front sprocket nut which i use an impact gun for and it always come off easy with one of them :) then when you come to fitting the chain you have to make sure the soft link is done correctly otherwise you risk the chance of the chain coming apart :shock: :?

How to bleed brakes

http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... 27&t=13141

Rear caliper overhaul.

http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... 27&t=21677

ive overhauled brakes and changed to braided lines, tried a chain and sprocket swap, but sent it to the dealer due to not having the right tools.. a socket a scaffold pole just wouldn't budge the front sprocket..

I changed to braided lines and have had basically no front brake for about a month now. Have NO idea why, as I have bled it and tied it up overnight umpteen times. Will start from scratch soon and hope for the best. Oh, and GSXF brake calipers are lovely, as they have 2 bleed nipples per caliper so you can be chasing air forever it seems.

I changed to braided lines and have had basically no front brake for about a month now. Have NO idea why, as I have bled it and tied it up overnight umpteen times. Will start from scratch soon and hope for the best. Oh, and GSXF brake calipers are lovely, as they have 2 bleed nipples per caliper so you can be chasing air forever it seems.

you still have air in the system somewhere :?

it can be a right twat to get out of some calipers :?

If you have no luck this time, then i would overhaul the master cylinder.. had to do this on my GSX... and luckily my fronts are one bleed, the rear is 2..

Have done a rebuild on the master cylinder....in fact, it's in the back of my mind that I've done something wrong that's not allowing the air out of the top - is this possible?

Pretty much at my wits end, going to strip the whole system and start again (maybe filling from the bottom this time) unless anyone has a better idea!

I have not...I envisage fluid firing all over the place though!

pump the lever and hold as normal when bleeding put a rag around the lines/bolt and undo it just a little till you see fluid and the lever goes to the bar keep hold of the lever and nip the bolt back up

fluid wont squirt everywhere :wink:

So yeah....bolt was tight, then suddenly let go...brake fluid everywhere, I now have no paint in a line down the front of my bike...brakes are no better though :crybaby:

ouch...

when you rebuilt the master cylinder, which way round was the spring?

you need the large end of the spring in first, so the washer is at the lever end then the cup, then the piston, circlip and boot...

if its in the other way the washer restricts the available pressure.. i know i've done this..

get hold of 2 tubes, and bleed both sides of the caliper at the same time..

If my latest trick (cracking ALL the banjo bolts one at a time and doing the above trick, then bleeding all the bleed nipples and tying up the lever with master cylinder at a jaunty angle) doesn't work, I am stripping the whole system so will check that, cheers for the idea.

Spring (and thus rubber cup on end) was backwards. Turned it round - it's no better, but it does seem to be bleeding back now. Never seen a bubble come out into the M/C before now, and it was bubbling when we re-attached it so hoping for the best. Have it tied up now playing the waiting game again.

• 4 weeks later...