cbt - manual or automatic?

Guest eligh3121

I'm 17 and have just started riding. I am very confident on my Piaggio x9 automatic 125 scooter. Its quite a large bike though, I got told that if i do a CBT on an automatic 125 I can still buy a manual and legally ride that.

I'm hoping this is true and I'm also wondering if I should use my X9 or one of the instructor's smaller automatics. I have been told that some of the cone maneuvers are difficult, however they charge an extra 20quid for the hire of their bikes

should be doing my CBT tomorrow, having decided what bike i will be doing it on yet : /

cheers :D

I think you maybe right, not sure, but I think you can take the cbt on a twist and go and still ride a geared bike when you pass. However if you do your A2 on an automatic, then you have to stick to it.

If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will put me right :-)

I'm 17 and have just started riding. I am very confident on my Piaggio x9 automatic 125 scooter. Its quite a large bike though, I got told that if i do a CBT on an automatic 125 I can still buy a manual and legally ride that.

That is correct. The CBT certificate covers you for any moped or a bike/scooter up to 125cc, geared and automatic.

However you cannot ride a geared motorbike if you take your CBT on an automatic as your license will be restricted.

If however you want to ride bigger bikes and take your Direct Access or A/A1 test, then you should do your CBT on a geared bike as you cannot progress to do a full motorbike test without passing a CBT on a geared motorbike.

I had never got on any scooter or bike of any kind (and I don't drive a car either) when I took my CBT on Monday. I passed easily by 2:30PM (9AM start). There was a 16/17 year old with me on a scooter also. He had the same stuff to do, but used back break in place of clutch. I had to change up to second gear a couple of times and third a couple of times on the road too. Other than that it was all the same.

If you have any thoughts of moving up to bigger bikes in the future then I'd say your answer is right there.

Also, with regard to bike size... I found the manoeuvres were set out probably a bit bigger than how they were for training for my Mod 1 test on a 500. Trust me, whatever scooter you are on you will be okay to handle it well enough.

I have done my cbt on both a small auto and a large 125 manual.

And I found it easier to do it on a manual, mainly because there easier to control at slow speeds because you can use both the clutch and back brake.

But i think the larger the auto the easier it is to ride, so the X9 should be a doddle to do it on