how to learn?

Guest coleman

the question is simple, how to learn?

Aim: Pass full bike test (buy and restrict a suzuki bandit 600)

Time frame: asap

My initial idea was to complete my theory and cbt, and then purchase a 125 (manual) to gain some road sence, this way i could also get used to riding a geard bike as i have never done so before, then move onto my full bike test when i am ready.

I have never driven a car either

any advice would be helpful or your personal experiance.

:) :) :) :)

If your over 21 you can do the DAS and not be restricted, the only difference between the restricted and unrestricted test is the engine size of the bike on test day.

gaining road sense before test is a good idea, during that period you can get your theory test out of the way.

a big advantage of getting a full bike licence is that you can learn on your own, as much or as little as you want, in your own time.

Try not to rush yourself, best of luck :D

well i am only 18

so i will have to get the bike restricted

also once you have passed your cbt, do you also have to pass your theory before you can ride on the road?

You just need your CBT to ride on the road so that's not a problem.

Once you take your theory it is good for 2 years, same as a CBT. Once one runs out you will need to do it again.

If you aren't that bothered about being de-restructed you could do a 1 week course like I have just done (having already done your theory) which will include a CBT, a few days getting used to a 125 and then Mod 1. A week later you can take your Mod 2 and be fully qualified to ride any bike (with restrictions due to age of course). When you are 21 I believe you are automatically de-restricted if you just send in your licence.

I did this but on a 500 from the same position as you since I am over 21. Now I can pass my Mod 2 and ride anything. Spent 4 days on a bike but a good school will get you prepared and confident incredibly quickly.

cool, so mod1 is maneuvers, which i would be ok on with a few days practice, however mod 2 i would be very sketchy on because i have never riden on the roads, thats the only reason why i think it would be a good idea to get a 125 for a few months.

houltmac, had driven a car before taking your motorbike test?

So you dont need to have passed your theory before taking your cbt?

I had never ridden a bike or scooter and I had only had 2 hours training in a car maybe... 7 or 8 years ago. I was starting completely from scratch, just like you.

On day 1 I was really nervous, and after 2 or 3 hours I couldn't believe we were going to "play in the traffic" - I thought the instructor was crazy. It's part and parcel of the CBT though and I passed by 2:30PM same day. It was actually really fun. Good tuition is a must of course, but it's all about listening and using the very basic skills you are taught during the off-road training.

From there on out I spent 1 day on a 125 (same as CBT day), 1 day on a 500 and then day 4 was also on a 500 but at lunch I had my Mod 1. The days were spent doing a mixture of on road training (practice Mod 2 really I guess) where you learn a lot very quickly, and also off-road training (manoeuvres and slow speed control) which you can use during your on road training very effectively.

Mod 1 is manoeuvres. There is a a PDF on the DSA website showing what you have to do. It's not as complex as it looks as you stop between each manoeuvre and get further instructions. I used these skills (slow riding, u-turn, wheeling the machine, and emergency stop) during the on road training. It also helps you practice the balance of throttle, clutch and rear brake a lot. I don't want to say that practicing on the road on a 125 is a bad idea at all; it's a great idea. I personally found that I learned best under good instruction on observed rides where I could get critical feedback. 1 week and I feel good to go - genuinely happy with my own skills.

I am actually looking forward to Mod 2 (though I am nervous of course) and believe I can pass after only 4 days on the bike.

Also, to answer question; you do not need to take your theory to take your CBT. You need a theory test pass and a CBT to take Mod 1. You need Mod 1 (manoeuvres) to take Mod 2 (on road like a car practical). You need all 4 to get a licence. If however you just take a CBT then you can ride a restricted class of motorcycle for 2 years with L-plates. You must either take your test or retake your CBT at that point.