Passed My Theory On Tuesday, Advice Needed For Full Test...

Guest Sean

First of all, Passed my theory on tuesday, I was quite annoyed that there were no Designated Parking Spaces for People Taking their Theory Test. Ended up having to park it on a pavement outside.

Anyway, First Question, Is it compulsory for me to have test training from a driving school, Or can I Book my Mod 1 Straight away?

Question 2, When looking on the DSA website to book my Mod 1, It was asking whether I wanted to book a 'Light' motorcycle test, a 'Standard' motorcycle test, Or a 'Large' motorcycle test (I'm 19, Riding a 125 and want to do my restricted test). Which one Do I Choose?

Your Help is Appreciated In Advance.

You must do CBT with an approved training centre before you can take either mod 1 or mod 2 tests. You might be able to book the test slot in advance, but you need to take the CBT and theory test passs certificates along to your test, along with both parts of your licence.

The DSA web site has the following to say about the different categories:

* category A1 (light motorcycle) - a solo motorcycle between 75 and 125 cylinder capacity, with a power output not exceeding 11 kilowatts

* category A (standard motorcycle) - a solo motorcycle between 121 and 125 cylinder capacity, capable of exceeding 100 kilometres per hour (62.1 miles per hour)

a category A licence will restrict you for a period of two years to riding bikes with a power output no more than 25 kilowatts (33 brake horse power) and a power to weight ratio no more than 0.16 kilowatts per kilogram. After two years you may ride any motorcycle.

Vehicles used for the accelerated access and direct access schemes can have an unspecified engine capacity of at least 35 kilowatts (46.6 brake horse power), with an unspecified speed.

On that basis I think you want the 'standard motorcycle' test, which will let you ride a bike with up to 33 bhp for two years, and anything you like thereafter.

assuming youve done your CBT you can take both mod 1 and mod 2 without lessons from a school, all that matters is your ability to pass the test, not wheather you had lessons or not.

and to reiterate what andy said, your after the standard (A2) bike bike test, your too young for a large motorcycle test (DAS) and the light motorcycle test (A1) just allows you to ride a learner legal machine without L plates, carry pillion, go on m/ways, etc, etc, etc

You don't have to have any training at all if you don't want. Although it would be a lot more beneficial to you if you did. It will be helpful for someone to walk through the test with you a few times and explain where people go wrong. It will also be a good chance for them to asses your riding and highlight where you're going wrong and point out how you need to improve.

You also need to book the A2 test, which is the restricted access test for those under 21. Good luck :thumb:

Yeah I've Done my CBT And Theory

I'm pretty sure its the 'standard' test I need to Book.

I'll Probably get some training before I book it aswell, I've been riding on my L-plates for a year now, no doubt i've picked up some bad habits lol

Cheers for the help Guys