been shopping again. new boots and new lid.

Dropped the Mrs off at the airport, so I'm a free man for the week.

On the way home I stopped by J&S to look at new boots as my old frank Thomas boots are falling apart. Never buying frank Thomas again!!

So i went in just to browse, ended up leaving with a pair of alpine star boots, and a new helmet.

Also i broke the habit of a lifetime and i didn't buy Shoei!

I tried on the shoei gt-air and hated the fact the price varied so much just because of the graphics. The lid I wanted was 470quid which seems a little steep without any freebies like some online retailers are offering.

So, I asked the guy what else they had... I tried on the HJC RPHA ST and loves it. A great fit, internal visor, pinlock that goes right to the top, removable lining, light weigh. Ticked all the boxes and its only 279quid - a big saving compare to the shoei so I thought I'd take the punt

as I've read good reviews of HJC lids...

The boots are the alpine star S-MX6. All black, seemed very comfy. Seem good for price tag of £189.99.

Of course I asked for a discount. Ended up with free ear plugs and 5% manager discount - never not got a discount from J&S 8-)

So i got new boots and new lid for less than the cost of the shoei gt-air I was going to buy.. Bargain!

And with the Mrs away, I have a week to hide the evidence!!

Pics just uploading...

Very nice. Let us know how the lid is. Ive got an oldwr HJC lid and looking to upgrade soon. :)

The helmet really was an impulse buy, but so far im impressed. it feels well made, the visor and sun visor seem to work very well.

Having done some research since getting home, it seems to be a pretty good lid and its won some tests - not sure if this means anything, but nice to know:

http://www.hjc-helmets.uk.com/news-and- ... t-motorrad

I went for the Large size as the XL was too baggy, and i couldn't get the Medium on.

It still feeling a bit tight on my head, but thats normal for new lids and its good as it wont move about at speed.

The boots are mega comfy. I looked at the RST boots (as i have RST leathers) but they felt too tight over the ankles. These alpine star boots feel like i've worn them for years!

Really hoping the weather is going to be nice tomorrow so i can get out and give my new gear a road test.

Bargain

I've got the boots in red trim. Very very comfy. Only downside, the right boot squeaks like mad when walking! (Reminds me of the Sidi squeak)

I have the RPHA 10+. A tip for you - take the visor off and adjust the holding mechanism to pull the visor tighter. All the reviews I read said the lid was very quiet, but mine was hurting my right ear. I finally worked out the air was getting in from that side so adjusted and boy, it's spot on now!

Bargain

I've got the boots in red trim. Very very comfy. Only downside, the right boot squeaks like mad when walking! (Reminds me of the Sidi squeak)

I have the RPHA 10+. A tip for you - take the visor off and adjust the holding mechanism to pull the visor tighter. All the reviews I read said the lid was very quiet, but mine was hurting my right ear. I finally worked out the air was getting in from that side so adjusted and boy, it's spot on now!

Cheers, i'll check that out..

The visor does look a pretty tight fit, but i'll see if it can be made tighter.