Confidence and cost of learning

Guest benbenben

Alright folks, so ive had my CBT done about 3 months ago and i'm slowly looking into doing the full test (restricted) next summer but i'm concerned about my confidence on a bike. I can take me little cb125 up to its top end with a stupid grin on my face but as soon as i come to a corner i have no trust in the bike. Small roundabouts are being taken in 2nd gear at <10mph and i have a fear that leaning on corners is just going to loose the bike from under me! I personally feel that the CBT only showed me how to potter around town (ive got a car for doing that) where as in the real world i want to use the bike for exploring country roads and touring.

Anyone got any advice about safely building your confidence or should i just try to forget how the hell the two tiny areas of rubber contacting tarmac stop me and 120kg of metal falling over?!

Thinking about just getting myself on a course but cost and time (off work) would be an issue, any ideas how many days it would take before id be suitable for a test and what it would cost in the Middlesex area? Oh, and i'll be looking at getting a 250cc after i pass, maybe a Ninja...

Cheers

Ben

just carry on as you are!!!

it takes time and miles to get confidence on the bike the more miles you do the more confident you will become

just go steady and dont try to run before you can walk :wink:

hey benbenben,

I got a Honda CBR125 to start off with then recently upgraded to a ninja 250. Has been a good next step I think.

I think you could safely be taking the roundabouts a bit faster as tbh it is probably safer to move at traffic speeds, so I think, as you say, it would be a good idea to get those speeds up a tad. I you can afford it, a course would be the safest and quickest way to go, otherwise, riding with more experienced friends would be good. Possibly try to follow a biker who passes who looks like they are riding at a steady pace (in 30 zones) could be a good idea. That is how I learned to filter and how a lot of people picked up stuff I hear.

This may sound strange, but perhaps learning the physics of it may help you understand how it is safe? Look at people pushing it, then pushing 15mph on a roundabout will look tame?

I understand what you mean tho; it can seem to go against your insticts. Just do it a little bit at a time, always make sure you are fairly comfortable with what you are doing and are not putting yourself in mortal danger (or those around you), but tbh you could probably jump off at 10mph most places and not do yourself more than a graze of injury.

Go to an empty car park and practice for module 1. It will be good practive but also teach you some of the limits of turning, speeds and fine handling that you will need on the road, whilst being safely away from others.

I would say I would rideout with you but Middlesex is a bit far and I doubt at 20mph ou could get much towards the Midlands. Though it would give me the excuse to drive through a place called Weedon :-)

Good luck on the bike.

Lib.

its fairly hard for a bike to slip in the dry around roundabouts unless you were going over some loose gravel, in the wet its a completely different matter.

as others have said, take it easy, dont feel rushed by other road users, afterall, you pay your road tax right? :wink:

Remember that most of the time, a bike's full potential won't be bought out by a rider. In most cases, if the foot pegs aren't hitting the decks you can keep on leaning!

Obviousley, it's not wise to 'force the issue', but that's what i did when i got my 125. Granted, it was RS so the handling was top notch, but i had gained faith in the bike and thought, i'm going to run out of bottle before the bike does. So i'd approach a high speed corner a bit quicker than i was comfortable with, took my feet/hand well away from the brakes, and went for it! and guess what, i came out the other end, rubber side up with a grin on my face :)

but just go at your own pace, look at the 'chicken strips' on your tyres and see how much of the edges of the tyres are unused, that might give you a little more faith in the bike in terms of how far over it can go!

i came out the other end, rubber side up with a grin on my face :)

Wouldn't it be more inspiring if you came out of it rubber side down? ;)

I think the guys have given good advice here, Ben. I'll tell you the other side of it.

I did a DAS course though nowhere near you. Having never ridden before I did my CBT on the Monday, took my Mod 1 on the Thursday passed both first time. I had 2 more half days during which I passed my Mod 2 the second time. I took a couple of bikes out for a test ride yesterday and felt supremely confident in minutes (though I was scared stiff of looking stupid in the car park).

Tuition certainly worked for me, though it was mostly just being followed and being told I was doing well because we both knew that I was already beating myself up for any mistakes and I didn't need someone else to tell me.

Still, ever mile I travel I get more confident. I think it's natural to feel comfy in a straight line and take time to work up courage/confidence/skill around a bend. Oh, and I'm taking most roundabouts around here in second also; nothing wrong with that.

... I did a DAS course...

... I'm taking most roundabouts around here in second also; nothing wrong with that.

Haha! Big difference between the second gear speed of your 500cc and his 125cc I would guess :-)

Thanks for the advice guys. Think i'll just keep riding as much as possible till the spring then, hopefully i'll have the confidence to get the test in and treat myself to a Ninja 250 when i pass. :D