Ignition semi-fail

Edgey

So my bike is now behaving badly, damn lesser-known manufacturer (Megelli 125 S).

Basically, ignition button (usually, still to double check this) does not work unless I am in neutral. My bike has none of those failsafe features which stop ignition working when in gear or when side stand is down, it also previously allowed me to start it in gear, and I believe on occasion still does.

This is somewhat annoying as it is sometimes (not always) a pain to get it into neutral, just dribbles about between 1st and 2nd until it gets bored and gives in (not due to my technique as others have trouble with it aswell).

So when I was riding home from work after being caught in the snow with the bike not properly warmed up, it died at a set of lights and people behind me got a bit angry, had to pull over onto the pavement until my bike would behave.

Any ideas? I have a feeling it may be the electrics to the starter motor, when I pulled my sprocket cover off to lube the chain a while ago, the socket was rather loose and the cable has been frayed by the chain as the cover had not been put back on properly previously.

Hey yeah,

I didnt think i had the stand down in gear feature until i found two wires exposed and touching :)

Not to sure how you would go about finding the cables of interest, maybe try and find an electrical wiring diagram (manual maybehaps) and have a look.

First things first though i would suggest sitting down, outlining the coniditions you suspect, write them down on a note pad, go to the bike, try out the different conditions and get a good solid view of where you stand and how its behaving. From there u can sit down and look for any patterns that may help (Sounds a little long winded dosnt it haha, damn my software engeneering classes).

Let us know what you find out :)

Best regards

-Jvr

Any ideas? I have a feeling it may be the electrics to the starter motor, when I pulled my sprocket cover off to lube the chain a while ago, the socket was rather loose and the cable has been frayed by the chain as the cover had not been put back on properly previously.

what socket? and a frayed cable wont help, is it a big thick black one....

EARTH, a bad connection here will cause you to spend time at the roadside... get the obvious problems resolved, then go from there...

I can describe the plug in question...

The cables come from above the sprocket (front), are covered together with that rubber tubing they use, which goes around the front sprocket and into a plug, small and round, about the size of a 10p. The plug is also covered by the sprocket cover.

One of the cables is frayed and not connected, thats how it was when we took off the sprocket cover and found it. My guess, is the wire got caught in the cover during manufacture and got frayed.

Had a play around and the ignition definitely only works in neutral now, use to start in gear even without clutch in, didn't think it had any of those safety features which stop the ignition from working, unless they had previously disabled themselves. Might email megelli about is, says nothing in the manual.