tom tom hardwiring to battery

fazerboy

my tom tom comes with the ability to be hooked up the the bike battery,now can i just take the black and red wires and just attatch to the battery like my heated grips?because ive heard off people attatching it to brake lights and such so it has a fuse or something,sorry but im not wiring minded :wink:

my tom tom comes with the ability to be hooked up the the bike battery,now can i just take the black and red wires and just attatch to the battery like my heated grips?because ive heard off people attatching it to brake lights and such so it has a fuse or something,sorry but im not wiring minded :wink:

you can hard wire it to the battery and add a fuse into the positive wire.

or you can fit it using a relay so it only comes live when the lights are on

or you can fit an auxilary socket (see ebay for waterproof sockets) and plug it in when you need it, also easily removed to be taken inside. (much like plugging it into the fag lighter in a car)

yeah i got a cig lighter socket thing,but the tomtom rider hasnt the male adaptor to fit in it,just the 2 wires,would like to leave it in as it is quite handy,so can i get the male adptor for a cig lighter thingy and attatch that to the wires on my tom tom rider?

yeah i got a cig lighter socket thing,but the tomtom rider hasnt the male adaptor to fit in it,just the 2 wires,would like to leave it in as it is quite handy,so can i get the male adptor for a cig lighter thingy and attatch that to the wires on my tom tom rider?

yep, you can get a male from any motor accessory shop,

this is what you want

12VPK-CMYK-99.jpg.d54be6e26ebc052a8404b962ad0146c0.jpg

wire it direct to the battery thats what i have done with mine thats how they are designed to be wired in mick :thumb:

dont worry about draining the battery if you leave it on cos i cant really see you leaving your bike unattended with your tomtom on full view!!!!

• 1 year later...

excuse me for being thick but if you wire the lighter socket straight into the battery. will it drain the battery if nothing is plugged into it or will it only use power with something "live" plugged in?