Myths and Legends the return..

Guest WalneyFrankie

Well the re-run was better than the dress rehearsal.. met everyone at Hideaway cafe, after meeting Marsey and Duane enroute. stoopped for breakfast and fuel at Asda, and then headed off into the mists.. (Looked more Like Mists and legends , than Myths..) but the sun came out when we neared Shap so the day was good.

heres the tour..

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/tmbf%20stuff/Myths%20and%20legends%202010/PIC01434.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/tmbf%20stuff/Myths%20and%20legends%202010/PIC01435.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/tmbf%20stuff/Myths%20and%20legends%202010/PIC01436.jpg

SHAP_ABBEY.jpg.46c47941536977b0bf8e2a918fe86c42.jpg

Shap Abbey, Shap Abbey stands in a picturesque setting by the River Lowther, with nothing nearby to interrupt the beauty of the lonely and unfrequented site. It is about half a mile west of Shap. It was built in 1199, the last Abbey to be founded in England, and the last to be dissolved by Henry VIII in 1540. It was founded by the Premonstratensian order, also known as the White Canons from the colour of their habits. Most of the buildings are 13th Century in origin, though the striking west tower is early 16th Century. The church, chapter house, dormitories, and cloisters are all much ruined. Stone was taken at the end of the 17th Century to build Shap Market Hall. Much of the carved stonework was also removed and used in the building of Lowther Castle. A short path leads over fields to the small 16th Century Keld Chapel, now in the care of the National Trust

Lowther Castle.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/tmbf%20stuff/Myths%20and%20legends%202010/PIC01438.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/tmbf%20stuff/Myths%20and%20legends%202010/PIC01440.jpg

castle_aerial007_330.jpg.1ffaf94a80841a7e6ae6cd125f9c0b14.jpg

Lowther Castle, Lowther Castle has been the family seat of the Earls of Lonsdale from time immemorial, and occupies the site of mansions dating back to the reign of Edward I. The present building was started in 1806, for Sir Hugh Lowther the fifth Earl, to designs by Sir Robert Smirke. Lowther Castle was his first job when he was just 25. It was commissioned to be a design of elegance and strength. The castle was well known for its wide range of activities and entertainment of distinguished guests. Unfortunately the castle's grand proportions were too extravagant for the 20th Century. After the death of the fifth Earl of Lonsdale, the Castle was abandonded, the interior was dismantled and only the walls left standing as a memorial to past glories. Within the estate (NY 527243) is 'The Lowther Oak', a fine gnarled old tree. According to ancient folklore, the Lowther Oak is responsible for the good fortune of the Lonsdales. Bad luck will be bestowed on the family if the branch of the oak touches the ground. The branch is propped up to prevent this! A public road passes through the estate from Askham to Lowther Newtown, passing St Michael's Church which is opposite the front of the Castle. Inside the Church are various memorials to members of the Lowther family. Sir Robert Smirke also designed St Peter's Church in nearby Askham

If anyones been to Alton Towers there is a ride which depicts this legend.

Arthurs Round Table..

we didn't stop here, as the view is best from the air.

roundtable-4206b.jpg.315232f4ec02f5e460182ba82d41afe9.jpg

King Arthur’s Round Table is situated at Eamont Bridge, a short distance outside of Penrith, and represents one of the most impressive Neolithic earthwork henges in the country. It is thought to date from around 2000 BC and it is claimed that it formed later the main jousting area for the court of King Arthur. English Heritage manage the property and have established a series of information points at the site where you can learn more about the fascinating history.

George & Dragon Pub, Shap,

There are intriguing aspects to this pub beside the A6 in the village of Clifton, between Penrith and Shap. A dozen Highlanders are buried outside it, beneath what is known as the Rebel Tree. They fell at the battle of Clifton Moor, the last battle to be fought on English soil, when Bonnie Prince Charlie's Jacobite rebels engaged in bloody combat with the Duke of Cumberland's forces in 1745. Then there is its location, close to the M6 (visible from the windows), in one of the least touristy areas of Cumbria. (In January, "least touristy" translates as "where on earth is everybody?") Should you venture into the snowy landscape, a domain drained of colour and criss-crossed with brownish black hedges and walls like roughly etched pencil lines, you will, give or take a fell pony or two, get it all to yourself

Hutton in The Forest - Penrith

Hutton-in-the-Forest_04.jpg.2a2275181e39127b07591a222aeface2.jpg

Hutton in the Forest

The historic home of Lord & Lady Inglewood, Hutton-in-the-Forest is a beautiful house of the north eastern edge of the Lake District. It is surrounded by magnificent woodland of the medieval forest of Inglewood. Legend has it that it is the Green Knight's castle in the Arthurian tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Originally a medieval stronghold with a pele tower, succeeding generations have altered and added to the house, and the outside and inside show a wide variety of architectural and decorative styles from the 17th century to the present day.

Greystoke Castle - Greystoke, Penrith

greystoke-4642a.jpg.444f6058d1c7d53607ce8ca04ff09562.jpg

97920870_Greystoketarzan.jpg.9cea560e01f453fe6bfb102badf83b1e.jpg

The history of Greystoke Castle begins in the 12th Centrury when Ivo, grandson of local Saxon chieftain Llyulph, created the first stone structure on the site of the present castle in 1129. This building grew to become one of the border chain of fortifications, creating the huge Pele Tower, which in 1338 William de Greystoke obtained Royal Licence to castellate. In the mid 1500's, Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk and Earl Marshall of England acquired the castle by marriage to the widow of Lord Dacre from Naworth Castle near Brampton; as both catholics and Royalists the Howards gained the attention of Oliver Cromwell who with his army of the North visited the area and laid waste to the castle. After lying derelict for the better part of a generation, the castle was re-built to a design by Anthony Salvin between 1838 and 1848, and the Estates were developed by Charles Howard, the 10th Duke, into a strikingly modern farm. In 1868 tragedy struck and the house caught fire and many treasures and works of art were lost. However, the castle was rebuilt, again by Salvin, this time using only materials and craftsmen from the estate. The Great Hall is furnished with a remarkable Minstrels' Gallery and a magnificent fireplace. During the second world war the castle and estate were requisitioned by the army as a tank drivers' training area and it was not until 1950 that Stafford Howard inherited the estate. He began further period of restoration which continues today with his son, Neville. The castle is not open to the public, but is now a venue for corporate hospitality, outdoor management training, and is licensed for civil weddings. The Castle stands in about 6000 acres, which is said to be the largest enclosure in England without a road or right-of-way running through it.

To the East of the village of Greystoke are three well known folly farmholds built about 1789 by Charles Howard (the 11th Duke of Norfolk) (1746-1815) of Greystoke Castle:

• Fort Putnam is really a screen round a farmhouse, with battlements, a turret and a large church window, and with details similar to those of the tower at the castle

• Bunker's Hill has a three sided screen with a broad polygonal tower.

• Spire House has a polygonal tower carrying a recessed spire

Castlerigg Stone Circle - Keswick

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/tmbf%20stuff/Myths%20and%20legends%202010/PIC01445.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/tmbf%20stuff/Myths%20and%20legends%202010/PIC01444.jpg

castlerigg-9527b.jpg.ff68a9172533c53349302d81f1fc1ff9.jpg

Castlerigg Stone Circle There are 38 stones in a circle approximately 30 metres in diameter. Within the ring is a rectangle of a further 10 standing stones. The tallest stone is 2.3 metres high. It was probably built around 3000 BC - the beginning of the later Neolithic Period - and is one of the earliest stone circles in Britain. It is important in terms of megalithic astronomy and geometry, as the construction contains significant astronomical alignments. Although its origins are unknown it is believed that it was used for ceremonial or religious purposes.

Bridge house - Ambleside

bridge-house-ambleside-cumbria.jpg.521f4d7e61409b55d8d6d1f912ae733c.jpg

The Bridge House, Ambleside

Bridge House is possibly the most photographed building in the Lake District, and a popular subject for many artists including Turner. A tiny building, originally an apple store for nearby Ambleside Hall, was built over Stock Beck to escape land tax. Once five mills were driven by the power of Stock Beck and some may still be seen nearby. It is said that at some time a family with six children lived here in the two rooms.

Edited by Anonymous

Tc if your bike knows how to turn towards the lakes well be heading up that way sometime to hit the hartside!

Cheeky Git :up: Been up there and will be going up there again this year.

Tc if your bike knows how to turn towards the lakes well be heading up that way sometime to hit the hartside!

Will that be when you get the Fazer?

Lookes like a cracking day out, shame i had to work today

LOL, children, children... yep TC came up to Whitehaven when we did the county line run last year..

be nice to do Hartside Cafe run again, with the Middleton in Teesdale run back...

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/tmbf%20stuff/Myths%20and%20legends%202010/PIC01434.jpg

left to right.

Jade Mongoose (Matt), Blakeatron (Andy), TnT, Marsey (John), rac bolton (Rachel), Duane69, Jo and Voodoo. I'm holding the camera, and Mickey's out of pic.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/simonevans73/tmbf%20stuff/Myths%20and%20legends%202010/15010_375216913890.jpg

Left to Right, (sat down) Me, Tnt, Jo & Voodoo, Matt and Andy, Rachel, (Standing) Mickey & Duane

This run is the first I've been on with the TMBF.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, it was well organised, and did not turn into a race, which has been the case on other runs I've been on,

In fact the only time i pushed it a bit is when me and Duane were tail end Charlies, and had to catch the others up after coming out of that pea souper of a fog near Shap, that was a surreal experience one minute i could hardly see Duane 10 yards in front, and the next minute brilliant sunshine, :shock:

Nice to meet other members of the forum, and I will definitely be attending a few more TMBF runs.

Here's a couple of pics

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/furnessma ... directlink

In fact the only time i pushed it a bit is when me and Duane were tail end Charlies, and had to catch the others up after coming out of that pea souper of a fog near Shap, that was a surreal experience one minute i could hardly see Duane 10 yards in front, and the next minute brilliant sunshine, :shock:

I just hope there wasn't any speed cameras about :shock:

once we were out of the soup it didn't take long to catch up then it was back to normal speeds :mrgreen:

still it was a good day

I'm looking forward to the castle thing next

Hi guys just wanted to thank you all this was my first ever run out n i had my my moments in the fog where i wnated to go home

but in the end i'm glad i did it and enjoyed the day

Thanks simon

It was my first run with members of the TMBF, deffo going on some more :D

well i have more lined up, and Jademongoose has one or two..

we try and cater for all the riders in the group, even the slow ones, me included, and it seems to please most.. so if anyone fancies tagging along with an "R" license or 125, then you're welcome..

have a look in NW rides theres a sticky to the Diary where I tend to post "what's on" and links to the pages, so its easy and at a glance...

If anyone fancies organising a ride, post it in the Rides section and if its North west, i'm sure i'll come across it, and i'll post it into the diary..

just had a heads up from Marsey, MBEAM are doing an awareness day this Sunday 28th March.

in the car park on Crellin Street, (Crooks-Suzuki) Barrow in Furness.

from 10.00 - 2pm

if anyones interested..

(MBEAM - Morecambe Bay And Estuaries Advanced Motorcyclists)