Possible clutch problem

sparkeh9

Hi guys,

Im having a problem with my bike, (obviously :mrgreen:)

I went for a ride to willingham woods with a friend on his Blackbird, came back and all was good. The next day I started it up and let it warm up, set off, no problems whatsoever. Got to my friends house (few miles away) and stopped to meet up, went for a cuppa first (of course)

We were ready to go, so I started her up (engine was still warm), kick stand, clutch in, knocked it down to first, attempted to set off and the engine dies. I thought I had just forgotten how to ride or something, so I started it up again and same happened again.

There is no pull, it just dies. I can bump it (i.e. disengaging clutch straight away) so there is friction between the plates, runs fine at idle and revs nicely, doesnt cut out if I knock it into gear and clutch is disengaged, only when I engage the clutch does it die.

Any ideas?

Bike is a '94 Kawasaki Balius(ZR250) jap import, looks like an ER5

Does the engine die as if its being stopped (just stops firing and winds down to a halt), or does it sound like its trying to pull away but just dieing whilst trying?

If its the previous then i'd say electrical issue killing the engine such as faulty side stand swith (although that would kill the engine when you put the bike into gear :|).

Other wise i would say sounds like there isnt enough fuel getting to the engine.

Only needs a tiney bit of fuel to tick over/idle/rev up with no resistance but as soon as the engine has to do some work it needs fuel to keep it going wihlst taking the load.

Start at the cheap/easy end, check that fuel is getting to the carb unrestricted, check out the carbs, clean them whilst they are out and give them a once over with carb cleaner.

Find a service manual online and it will take you through the whole process :)

Keep us infomed.

Best regards

-Jvr

:stupid: REnnie

clean the side stand switch, and make sure the stand retracts fully.

bike thinks it's down and stalls as a safety measure.

Fixed the problem,

it wasn't the switch it's self, per-se, it was the connector to the wiring loom that had detached it's self from the wire coming out of the switch.

Looks like a sort of detachable connector, with a male and female end.

Haha,

uni assignments... sucks to be a student, i'm there at the mo to :|

Have to say i'v learnt somethig here!

I was always under the impression that the sidestand switch caused the engine to quit as soon as you clicked into gear with the side stand down!

Will have to re-attach mine i think as i do have a habbit of pulling away with it down occasionally :|

-Jvr