MOD1 being Discontinued

I don't think it'll be just a random place they'll ask you to go to, they'll have a list of start points on each test route where they can conduct the 'independent drive' module. They'll also have a list of destinations for each test route, which they will publish so your instructor can show you the way to go during your lessons.

We'll see if it actually happens, a change like this will cost a few quid to implement, the majority of government departments aren't gonna be keen on spending much for a little while.

I doubt it would cost much more, it looks like they've already gone through all the proposal paperwork, it would just be up to the test centres to pick out a bunch of signposted locations and known start points.

I doesn't sound stupid to me, it will show of people can navigate and read signs for themselves rather than having a route planned for them, i.e. will they read the one way street sign and not drive down it.

If it can improve the standard of driving (I know, big if but at least they're trying) then why do people always argue against it.

There are countless posts about car drivers not looking where they are going and not being observant - this test may in some way address that. I know it won't prevent all bad drivers from being unleashed on the road but I can't see how it will hurt.

Feel free to explain it to me as I may have missed something blindingly obvious...

I've heard that the examiner will ask you to lead him/her to a certain place, but wont give you any further instructions.

i.e. 'we are now at ......., take me to ........'

For approximately ten minutes you will be expected to navigate for yourself, under test conditions.

That's not quite how Independent Driving will work, but anyway it applies to the car test, not motorcycle.

I've heard that the examiner will ask you to lead him/her to a certain place, but wont give you any further instructions.

For approximately ten minutes you will be expected to navigate for yourself, under test conditions.

That's not quite how Independent Driving will work, but anyway it applies to the car test, not motorcycle.

Well it's third hand info so some of the details may have been muddled, the second hand was a bike instructor who was convinced it applied to the bike test too. The person he heard it from was a bike examiner.

Well it's third hand info so some of the details may have been muddled, the second hand was a bike instructor who was convinced it applied to the bike test too. The person he heard it from was a bike examiner.

I'd be more happy to ride a route to some place as oppose to ride waiting for command from the guy behind. In my opinion, it is easier for a bike rider... So you plan ahead and do it as you wanna do, not as that man behind does...

The Mod 1 is being looked at but only from a view that noone is booking them. The proposed changed are not until 2013 so no point waiting and the emergency stop and swerve at 50kph can not be done safely on a public road anyway.