MOD1 being Discontinued

Hi All,

I was down at my mates when his mom who is practicing for her MOD1 came back from some training, only to tell me to hold fire as the trainers have mentioned that the DSA are scrapping the MOD1 test due to the fact of the amount of accidents that have occured since it first started. They have also cancelled her training as there is no point practicing for a test that will be made reduntant.

She said that they would know more towards the end of July as the DSA have asked all the training centres how they can encorporate the Mod1 tests into the road test (even though those tests are done in the CBT).

Has anybody else heard this rumour as I am a bit stuck as to what to do.

Cheers

JT

this was reported in MCN a couple of weeks ago.

As to whether it will actually happen is another thing altogether.

I believe we are currently at the beginning of another consultation phase.............

...She said that they would know more towards the end of July as the DSA have asked all the training centres how they can encorporate the Mod1 tests into the road test (even though those tests are done in the CBT)...

To clarify, there is no testing involved during CBT, it is Compulsory Basic Training. You need to be tested on these manoeuvres before a bigger bike can be ridden (i.e. Mod1/ manoeuvres during the original road test).

The rumour factory is at full production it seems, I'll believe it when I see it.

I can't see them dropping Mod1. I suspect they'll just modify the hazard and speed requirements

I dont think they Can drop mod 1 as such because its a European Thing and if we want to Drive in the rest of europe we all have to have a simalar standard of Driving so they could only modify it at best which would mean Better test centers with more space for the hazard IMO it should be a Straight not a bend before the hazard this would be Much improved on what is not a terrible way to get the manouvers done (better and safer than on the road) in a controlled enviroment.

I can't see them dropping Mod1. I suspect they'll just modify the hazard and speed requirements

I dont think they Can drop mod 1 as such because its a European Thing and if we want to Drive in the rest of europe we all have to have a simalar standard of Driving so they could only modify it at best which would mean Better test centers with more space for the hazard IMO it should be a Straight not a bend before the hazard this would be Much improved on what is not a terrible way to get the manouvers done (better and safer than on the road) in a controlled enviroment.

Yeah I must agree. If you were given more of a run up you'd be better prepared (read: going faster) for the hazard.

Ironically, that could lead to more "inexperienced-offs". Either way, despite complaints I think they're on the right track. They need to keep the cost down. It's okay for us poor sods working 5 days a week as we can scrape together the money for the tests but it's a stretch to get the money for the training as well!

I definitely think they need to sort out the CBT, there's no incentive to do your test unless you are interested in bikes. That means you end up with a load of muppets on the road with nothing more than L plates. I'm not sure how they should do it but I can't see how a day on a bike is enough to quality you as a good rider (ie safe for the road).

They just need to balance it, make the CBT just a part of a larger process.

Didn't they try this when they made CBT's last only 2 years? so you cant jsut do it once and be done with it. May be mistaken here as it was a bit before my time.

If someone has been riding for couple of months then the corner shouldnt be a problem, its just having to get to 31 in such a tight space which is the problem. maybe jsut introduce a wider gap to get a better run up or more space between exiting the corner and the speed trap?

just an idea

we shall have to see what happens.its frustrating as i want to get my tests sorted.i have been very worried about the swerve test but the are currently asking everyone what they can to possibly merge mod1 and mod2.

is the swerve test as scary as everyone is making out?

Well i'm going to assume you know how to corner and have been riding on roads with roundabouts etc. assuming you can do these sort of things comfortably at reasonable speeds then its fine. I think its mainly that it is a tightish corner, and then due to it being examined people panic and it then seems like a lot harder than it is.

remember you have two trys at it, so treat the 1st one as a test run, then push it on the 2nd try. I also rode the turn backwards when going up to the start point, the examiner didnt seem to mind to you can get a feel for the steepness of the bend.

If possible also start further from teh corner as you can get away with, alot of people (my instructor included) said you dont have time to change to 3rd so blitz it in 2nd, but due to a further run up I was in 2nd before entering corner, so could comfortably build up speed in the turn (leaning further to keep bike on course) then upshift mid-turn. made it with 3 miles to spare 1st time thanks to that.

overall keep practicing your be fine. talk to your school and ask to get it done out of the way, since it sounds like mod 1 is in for review and the wheels turn very slowly with the powers that be. :cheers:

we shall have to see what happens.its frustrating as i want to get my tests sorted.i have been very worried about the swerve test but the are currently asking everyone what they can to possibly merge mod1 and mod2.

There are currently NO proposals to merge the two modules. I can't imagine why anyone would believe that it's better or safer to carry out manoeuvres on the public highway where you have the alternative of a dedicated off road centre available.

The "swerve" test is not a "swerve" test at all, it's an avoidance manoeuvre.

It is not scary to anyone that has received sufficient training and is competent in its' execution.

Well they are changing the test in october (the road part) so if they are changing it, id guess thats when they'll change/remove mod 1?

Well they are changing the test in october (the road part) so if they are changing it, id guess thats when they'll change/remove mod 1?

Really??? In what way is the test (the road part) changing in October?

I've heard that the examiner will ask you to lead him/her to a certain place, but wont give you any further instructions.

i.e. 'we are now at ......., take me to ........'

For approximately ten minutes you will be expected to navigate for yourself, under test conditions.

from what i've heard mod 1 is only seperate because of the conversion of kph to mph meaning that the speed required is 32mph and hence illegal to be performed on our 30mph roads, could be a load of shite like but its what i was told before the new test came in :|

I've heard that the examiner will ask you to lead him/her to a certain place, but wont give you any further instructions.

For approximately ten minutes you will be expected to navigate for yourself, under test conditions.

That is absured many people take tests in areas they Do not even know and would have no idea how to get to what ever whim the examiner decided to pull out the hat :bang:

"I failed my test today because I didnt know where McDonalds was" ????

That's impossible, this is not a taxi license test but test to show that you know how to ride a bike not the knowledge of the area.

That's impossible, this is not a taxi license test but test to show that you know how to ride a bike not the knowledge of the area.

Yup I totally agree. That's insane. It's not a test of your boy scout orienteering! That said I could envisage a part of the test where they just tell you to head off somewhere to judge your general skills.

Even that is a bit far fetchd

When i was learning to drive a car. ( Still not passed. ) Last year my instructor said thats what they want to do with the car test. Your choose somewhere with in reason to go. and you just simply drive whilst being observed by the examiner.

When i was learning to drive a car. ( Still not passed. ) Last year my instructor said thats what they want to do with the car test. Your choose somewhere with in reason to go. and you just simply drive whilst being observed by the examiner.

I will head directly to B&Q car park and and ride around there for 20 minutes its pretty quiet on a Friday :cheers:

When I was taking my lessons in April/May my instructors were practising this change by taking me up to a roundabout and giving me the instruction "Follow the signs for the A77 North". The test routes are all published and we had been training by using these test routes so when i was given an instruction like this I knew where I was going anyway.