Thinking

Guest Numbers

Had my 125 for a month now. even now im already thinking of Full bike licence and a bigger bike (must be crazy) if i was to do the full bike test next year how much would it cost ? some people say it costs £400 average and other say £1000 or over. id be on the 33bhp restriction for 2 years but it would still be quicker than a 125.

i have a CBR 125 at the moment. love it the cbr. always liked a Honda Hornet 600s since iv seen them. dont know why i just do lol.

my bike is fairly new 08 plate. if i was to buy a something like a 1999 hornet would there be lots of maintance issues or just good services and cleans frequently ?

what would be the top speed with the restriction and are they restricted by washers in the carb and something in the exhaust to stop the gasses going out so quick ?

this is my first year riding and the insurance was fairly high. if i was to take the full bike test and continue with my 125 would the insurance drop a lot ?

if i got a 600cc would it still be cheaper than what i am paying now in my first year ?

There are an awful lot of questions in that post!! :lol: You must've been doing a lot of thinking!! :lol:

Not trying to duck out of answering but try using the search facility on the forum - I'm pretty certain that many of the questions you've asked have been asked before! :D

Had my 125 for a month now. even now im already thinking of Full bike licence and a bigger bike (must be crazy) if i was to do the full bike test next year how much would it cost ? some people say it costs £400 average and other say £1000 or over. id be on the 33bhp restriction for 2 years but it would still be quicker than a 125.

i have a CBR 125 at the moment. love it the cbr. always liked a Honda Hornet 600s since iv seen them. dont know why i just do lol.

my bike is fairly new 08 plate. if i was to buy a something like a 1999 hornet would there be lots of maintance issues or just good services and cleans frequently ?

what would be the top speed with the restriction and are they restricted by washers in the carb and something in the exhaust to stop the gasses going out so quick ?

this is my first year riding and the insurance was fairly high. if i was to take the full bike test and continue with my 125 would the insurance drop a lot ?

if i got a 600cc would it still be cheaper than what i am paying now in my first year ?

I have paid £340 for my DAS. That was for 2x4hrs sessions and 2x2hrs sessions. Also test fees were included so I think it was a very good price. Next year you will have a good few months of experience (if you keep riding over the winter). So the more experience you have the less training you may need :wink: Also it depends how fast do you learn and if you develop any bad habits :) Before you start your lessons try to find school which will give you a free assessment. That is what I did. OR you can just take a few lessons and do the tests on your own bike. OR the cheapest option would be to just go for your tests without any lessons. Its up to you :)

Hornets... Good bikes, recommended as first big bikes, they handle restriction pretty good (so they say), insurance group 12 so not exactly "low" but not bad. If you look after it it will serve you well :) Carbed version is being restricted by washers.

Found on another forum:

100mph on the clocks and probably around 7seconds to 60. But it will run out of puff at about 80.

Insurance... I paid £270 for my 125cc TPFT. Yesterday I have insured my Ninja (group 14) for £320 TPFT. So 10bhp=>106bhp cost me £50 more lol. I imagine it will be something similar with you (not exact cost but just general idea). As Hornet isn't exactly a "commuter" bike (96bhp, group 12) I doubt it will be cheaper to insure than your current 125. But get a few quotes stating you have full licence, 1 year no claims and you are 1 year older and you will get a rough idea :wink:

Hope that helps a bit :wink: :thumb:

i didnt exactly fly through my CBT lol.

i started with the geared 125 but wasent getting it so they moved me onto the moped. i then managed the rest of the cbt fine but i still wanted a geared bike. bought a bike but was worried as i couldnt really ride a geared bike. as soon as i got the bike i practised going around a empty carpark in first gear. soon got used to setting of with the clutch. then i just got better and better.

a month later. much better but i do still struggle with slow speed sharp turns. like mini roundabouts. i can get onto the roundabout fine but when i turn 90 degrees left or right i often dont have enough steering to stay straight and end up getting very clos to the pavement and then straightning out again. also small sharp T junctions turning right coming from the left of the T i sometimes wobble there. i can do left hand turns on T junctions fine. i sometimes find if i set of from stationary and need to turn right whilst setting of i wobble too. i guess its just getting used to it and iv come on a long way in a month. i think i will ride in the winter but only on nice days when theres no ice/snow. if i was to do DAS then it would have to be early next year at least as i dont have the money right now.

i think id use the same training school as i used to do my cbt im not sure if they do a free assesement. lessons i dont know. il use exams as a example. even when i revised and revised i couldnt pass a particular exam first time it took me a few goes so maybe its best to go straight for the Mod 1 and 2 without lessons and failing first time and then passing the next. i dont know which would be cheapest. i wouldnt like to have lessons and then fail but i guess theres a high chance that could happen.

iv been watching some vids on youtube of restricted 600s and it seems you can even rev them right up as they get to a certain rpm and after theres no increase. say the optimum point is 8000 revs but 13000 is the limit. i love the Kawasaki Ninja 250 but they are very expensive. i can get a Hornet for £1800

Full bike test is something like £110 (c£80 for the practical, c£30 for the theory). If you pass. It's the training that costs the bulk of it, and that varies wildly. Your location may help recommendations - for example, if you're anywhere near Hinckley, then Hinckley Rider Training Scheme (a charity) will blow everyone else out the water for price.

Older bikes it really depends on how well it's been looked after and how it's been used. And of course, a smaller or larger element of luck (depending on how good/thorough you are on checking over the bike and the person or company selling it). I bought a 14 year old bike that's been a nightmare ever since the day after i bought it, but equally others have dream old purchases on the cheap (like i fully expect the next owner of my meticulously-repaired bikes to have :lol: )

The performance figures given previously seem pretty standard for restricted bikes in general, not just Hornets.

Having a full license won't make a huge difference to insurance premiums on it's own. 1 year NCB will (it's up to a 40% discount according to Money Saving Expert!)

I'd expect insurance to be higher on a Hornet (its extremely powerful) than a CBR125 (slow).

And higher also on a newer bike, especially for theft and/or comp quotes (i.e. your 08 CBR...)

A 600 will cost you more money. The parts are more expensive. More petrol is used. More tax, tyre changes, carburettors to go wrong. Probably double all round, at least. The power though, is phenomenal - far more than double!

i didnt realise the actual test where that cheap. still need some training though. 600s will be more expensive i know. even restricted will a 600 feel more powerfull than my cbr 125 ?

i didnt realise the actual test where that cheap. still need some training though. 600s will be more expensive i know. even restricted will a 600 feel more powerfull than my cbr 125 ?

http://www.thefatcontroller.co.uk/portfolio/albums/userpics/churchill_dog-oh_yes.jpg

:mrgreen:

i really want a full bike licence so i can loose the L plates. if i did the direct acess and get the 2 year restricted license and continue with the 125 would that make the insurance go down a bit more ?

with my 125 i love being able to hammer it up the gears and stuff but if i get a restricted 600 i cant do this as the bike just goes no where. there arnt many 250s about. there should be as that would be perfect. not sure if a 600 is the best idea as tyres and stuff wiill cost a lot more road tax will be £60 and i have to pay top money for it and only get a third of the engine power.

ahh right. the cbr is a good bike but it really was struggling to overtake people sitting at 40 in NSL zones.

would i get the same performance with a 33bhp 600 as a 33BHP 250 Ninja in the video below ?

">

Going from a 125 to a restricted 600, ull notice the difference straight away, and they are more than enough reving through the gears for overtakes, where it differs to a normal 600 is the top end, it wont keep going, it will steady out at around a ton. Where as unrestricted, obviously on a private road, will keep going up and up.

p.s I can recommend hornets, have a 99 Hornet, fairly easy to maintain, and good 1st big bike, and the washers are only 25 quid off ebay to restrict.

I don't think restricted 600 would be slower than 250. It is really up to you mate. If you are ok with getting a new bike when your restriction ends then fine. But if you buy and restrict a 600 you can spend those 2 years on getting to know this bike really well (handling and all other stuff). Then you taking your restrictions off and you have bike you know well but which is suddenly much faster so you have much more fun :)

Couldn't agree more, I had a brand new CBR125 and it couldn't have been more gutles if it tries. My new bike (hardly a supersport) feels at least 10x faster than that bike.

Even with an A2 any bike is faster than a 125

Can you redline a restricted Hornet when accelerating fast ? i never redline a bike anyway it damages the engine but is it possible to rev it lots ?

them ninja 250s are about £3000 no way am i spending that

i also read to restrict a bike you have to take it to a garage where they charge you £150 to fit the kit and to give you a peice of paper sayign tis restricted.

will a restricted 600 eat a 1.2L car for acceleration ?

In my experience a restriction can be performed in almost anyway. None that I know of stop you red lining the bike.

My bike for example, uses a throttle stop. It simply stops you from giving the bike all the gas you could do normally. I've only noticed this if I accelerate really hard or if I'm on a motorway (at around 80 you run out of throttle).

As for speed, you can happily out accelerate most cars. I've overtaken BMWs, mercadies etc. Off the line you are usually far ahead of them (oh and yes, liberals - without speeding)

Can you redline a restricted Hornet when accelerating fast ? i never redline a bike anyway it damages the engine but is it possible to rev it lots ?

them ninja 250s are about £3000 no way am i spending that

i also read to restrict a bike you have to take it to a garage where they charge you £150 to fit the kit and to give you a peice of paper sayign tis restricted.

will a restricted 600 eat a 1.2L car for acceleration ?

You won't need to redline it, its not like 125 or even 250. That Ninja 250 is still only a learner bike tbh. Like NearOn said, restricting a Hornet is cheap and easy. You DON'T need any certificate or take it to the garage. You can DIY :) And to out-accelerate 1.2 Corsa... Almost any bike can do that, even restricted :roll:

Just washers in the carbs on the hornet. Restricted 600s will out do pretty much any car off the line, and like cypek said, you wont need to red line it and certainly dont be taken in by the restricted certificate crap, they legally have no standing, just ensure bike is restricted according to licence incase accident, police stop you etc.

If you mean how many, there are 4 washers that fit in the carb inlets, the washers have small holes in them, which restrict the bike down to 33bhp. If you look on flea bay, type in restrictor kit and will see quite a few available nowadays and far far cheaper than going though F1 International AKA Major Rip off restrictor company.