Training School / Centre reviews??

Hi Guys

I am going to to my CBT this weekend with the view of doing the DAS course. But I was just wanting to hear of people's reviews on bike schools in the northwest.

I had phoned one of my local training centre's only to be told on the phone that I probably wouldn't 'manage' the direct access course (they had never seen me ride!).... so I am going somewhere on the recommendation of one person but as with these things, someone else said this place has had a bad review!

I just want to train to get my bike licence and ride well and safe but as quick and cost effective as possible. Without having the piddle taken out of me or being ripped off and fobbed off for whatever reason.

Any recommendations or opinions on good places to learn would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I was thinking that he was basing it on the fact that I am female... but I don't like to jump to this conclusion straight off!

It made me get a bit worried as I mentioned it to a friend who races semi-pro and he has arranged my CBT - which was great of him but I am feeling a little worried that I am going to end up potentially paying more or being pushed into weekly lessons for the rest of my life instead of just doing the DAS! Hence my post here!

Thanks for your reply sparkeh9

I had phoned one of my local training centre's only to be told on the phone that I probably wouldn't 'manage' the direct access course (they had never seen me ride!).... so I am going somewhere on the recommendation of one person but as with these things, someone else said this place has had a bad review!

this happened to me as well, was told (in person) that I was too small to do DAS (I'm 5'4). Mind you, in the few times I spoke to her her attitude was appalling every time, I've since heard that she's always like this.

Anyway, I went elsewhere and passed my das in november!

I can't make any recommendations as I'm not in your area, but the advice I would give is do a bit of research and then speak to the place you are planning on going to (in person or on the phone), ask lots of questions, tell them what you want to do and see how you feel about them. If you're not happy with what they tell you, try somewhere else. If someone had a bad experience, (I'm not saying this IS the case but) that could have been as much or more their own fault as it was the training centres (eg personality clash or whatever).

When I spoke to the place I went to they were very friendly and helpful, when I said I wanted to do DAS and had no previous experience they said they'd recommend doing CBT and then start out with lessons on the 125 and once I got the confidence move up to lessons on the 500. Which is what I did, and I had no problems with the 500 at all :)

Seems a bit out of order, find another more accomadating school

Where I done my test (not das but they had the same approach), they put you on a bike for about 30 mins when you were booking and assessed what level you were at, then gave you the number of days they would need to get you to pass. Basically if you then failed they gave you more lessons for free, so cost a tad more, but meant they were commited to getting you through the test.

Research into different schools seems like a good idea at this point, good luck, dont let it put you off! :cheers:

Thanks iiisecondcreep... congrats on passing.

I spoke with an instructor who my friend recommended and he did sound friendly and professional. So on that basis I booked my CBT with them. By the way the school I was speaking to didn't ask anything about my height or previous experience or ability! I was suprised as I had heard really good tings about the school!

Thanks spafe2302..... it did make me feel a bit deflated but I will not let it put me off I am bike obsessed! :cheers:

HI Debs. I did my DAS at belle vue in Manchester not the cheapest but i found them very good. I've heard of a cheaper one over at Guide bridge way who also is supposed to be good.

Where about are you in the Northwest

Of course you dont have to have your lessons with the same place that you do your CBT. If you find you don't get on with them then choose somewhere different!

And like has already been said, don't be bullied or talked into doing something you're not happy with! The CBT isn't a test & if it takes more than 1 day to finish the training then so be it - better to feel safe and confident than be sorry!

I took my test way before I was ready for it, cocked it up well & truly and it kind of put me off for a while.

I can recommend you a school in Doncaster if it isn't too far for you (i'm slightly geographically challenged without googlemaps lol). Really good instructor and really good price. I paid under £400 for 2 and a half days training and that included test fees :thumb:

Debs, is Blackrod too far for you? If not then try Mercury Motorcycle Training (google), there is a phone number on their website, don't email them as John (boss) said he is old fashioned and doesn't trust people who email him :lol: :lol: I am doing my DAS with him now because I enjoyed the CBT so much, great guy. How much the CBT place will cost you if I may ask?

I also took my CBT and DAS with John at Mercury.

I took my CBT with him and he will assess you at the same time and gives you an idea how many lessons and a price for you to take your test. Test fees were included in the price he gave me. I thought he was very good and passed both mod1 and 2 first time with only 1 minor.

Hiya debs, If heywood is not too far for you to travel, then i know a guy who did his course there a couple of months ago and i got a mate who s doing his test with this guy today, I believe he does a standard course for £450 which includes cbt, theory, 10 hours over 3 days then an hour before mod 1, and mod2 is taken straight after mod1, he's got his mod 1 today at 10.30 then mod 2 at 11.05, I'll let you know how he rates the instructor, it s not as far as manchester either, should take you about 20 mins from blackburn

Edited by Anonymous

What a tool, obviously making assumptions based on your gender, which is completely unfair. You're going to get mixed reviews on any school imo, I can't comment on the NW schools as Im not from there :)

:stupid: how the hell, can they say that on the phone? some of these training schools are bloody strange you would think they want the business.

Thanks guys,

Doncaster and heywood a little too far for me but I have been given one n preston to look at and also will give John at mercury a call too, so thanks for that.

I found somewhere to do my CBT... which I did yesterday and passed! Really harsh weather though as I was soaked to the skin and by the end of the day couldn't move my hands at all! Big lesson leant... I am probably going to be a fair weather rider :lol:

CBT cost £80 where I did it and the original place I called who told me that I wouldn't manage a Direct Access Course was charging £135.

Thanks! I wouldn't ever do something like that again in that weather!

I started to think... what the hell did I ever want to do this for! Then on the way back to the centre I was that cold I really couldn't feel my hands at all and just wanted to stop. So I started saying to my self... your riding an R6 through Valencia and it's a really hot sunny day! That's what got me back to the bike school! lol

I'm a fair weather rider Debs, I can't cope with the cold as it really affects me and then I lose concentration which is dangerous - so I will only be riding for pleasure and don't need to put myself through unnecessary hardships lol :) . I also got totally soaked on my CBT but thankfully it wasn't cold into the bargain! I'm really pleased you passed and hopefully we'll get out for a ride some time.

I can't believe that the school said you wouldn't cope with a DAS - I would have asked just what they based that assumption on? Anyway well done! :wink:

I've done my license with Elitemotorcycletraining, now called Premier Rider Training based in Wimbledon (they have another branch in Wembley).

They are very expensive and the service they provided was very unprofessional. I only went with them because my friend told me how excelent service she received.

I would avoid them at all cost.

I used West Pennine Motorcycle Training who are in Blackburn.

They're alright but the owner is a bit abrupt and will try to make you pay as much as possible. To be fair to him, there are some chancers that turn up and expect to have a license within 3 days without ever being on a bike previously.

The instructors are good (a couple are very good, Steve and Alan) but the management let the side down a bit. Oh and they'll book your Mod2 directly after the Mod1, without asking you, so if you mess up its a massive financial set back (that happened to me).

EDIT: since the title says reviews, I'll have to score them: 6.5/10 (6 would have been too harsh)

• 3 weeks later...
I've done my license with Elitemotorcycletraining, now called Premier Rider Training based in Wimbledon (they have another branch in Wembley).

They are very expensive and the service they provided was very unprofessional. I only went with them because my friend told me how excelent service she received.

I would avoid them at all cost.

My mum did a C.B.T with them ( even though she has a full licence) and thought they were great. I did it with bikewize, in cheam and they were utter balls. Even ran out of C.B.T certificates.