Help needed with de-restriction!

XmisterIS

My bike is restricted to 33bhp by a throttle limiter and washers (I think) in the airbox (not sure what or where that is).

I think I can mange the throttle limiter, It looks like a bit of metal that is bolted onto the whatsit-gubbin at the business end of the throttle cable.

I've got the fitting instructions and was told that I'd just need to reverse them to de-restrict the bike. The trouble is that the instructions don't come with clear pictures (just little fuzzy photos) and they are clearly intended for people with more technical knowledge than me, because they are full of jargon! I half-understand them and looking at the Haynes manual I know how to do point 1 only :lol: (see below):

1. Demount both small side fairings, the driver's seat and the tank. (I can do that, courtesy of Haynes!)

2. Demount the airbox and push the calibrated restriction into the intake of the airbox. (Nope, you've lost me)

3. Loosen the hose clamp of the intake rubber and pull the throttle valve body out of the intake rubber. (Now I'm completely clueless!)

4. Mount the delivered throttle limitator with the original screw on the throttle cable holder. (Is "limitator" a real word??? This sentence may as well be written in ancient greek for all I understand it!)

5. Mount the vehicle again in reverse order.

A little help?!

the restriction washers will be in the rubber section that links the throttle bodies or carbs depending on which you have to the engine itself.basically those instructions are telling you to open the air box up and push the rubber that connect the carb to it back into the air box then loosen small screw in clip in front of the carb and move carbs back so you can see into the rubbers connecting to the engine.the washers will be in place inside that section of the rubber.rubbers connect to engine where marked in picture so you will need to raise carbs or throttle bodies,when you look at the rubbers that bolt onto engine you will see one side has a clip around it with a screw in to loosen it off to pull them up out of the way

2003_SV650_engine_533.jpg.5efd0ba2138bf8cbb9a47697a547a934.jpg

Thanks, that makes it all a little clearer ... I'm thinking of just taking it round to my local bike mechanic and asking him to do it ... !

I am good at quite a few things and very good at a select few things, but taking bikes to bits is not one of them! :wink:

Yep, I will do that ... it should sell for a few squids on ebay.

Alternatively, is there anyone here who lives in or near Fareham who knows what they're doing (that's the important bit!) and would be happy to lend a hand and show me how to do it? I have a socket set, torque wrench, various other bits and bobs (all the gear, no idea!) and I'm happy to pay or provide alternative services by way of payment (depending on your attractiveness and gender) ... :yay: :mrgreen:

(I am joking about the second one ... XmrsIS would beat me to death ...)

• 7 years later...

Why not contact the dealership that fitted it , their name as well as a brief description of the means of restriction will be on your blue certificate.