Rust on downpipes

fli2008

got some fairly nasty looking rust on my downpipes, would it be ok to use a low grit sandpaper to get the rust off then coat in acf50? or just coat in acf50 ? and also if i did use low grit sandpaper on the chrome would it be noticeable ?

Cheers

Don't put any abrasives near chrome, including Autosol. You will just have to get used to cleaning the rust off with WD40 or ACF50. It will keep rusting and keep spreading. You can only slow it down by keeping it clean and dry. There is no coating that will stop the rust returning now,including paint, except rechroming. The only way to stop it completely is good quality stainless headers. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

got some fairly nasty looking rust on my downpipes, would it be ok to use a low grit sandpaper to get the rust off then coat in acf50? or just coat in acf50 ? and also if i did use low grit sandpaper on the chrome would it be noticeable ?

Cheers

Might be better off getting some better exhausts, problem is theres not much available for a 125, do you know if you can get custom exhaust to fit a virago engine?

I don't know, but if you Google and search on eBay, I'm sure you'll find summat. I make silencers and collector boxes. Never tried making headers yet . Gimme a shout if you don't find anything :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Try some fine grade wire wool to get rid of the rust and maybe some rust treatment? only real way would be ot rechrome them properly as they'll only get worse. Or stainless if possible