TMBF Rally Sat PM ride out

Guest akey

I'll be up for this, don't know what group i'd fall into, other than not with the 'brisk' riders, since I don't think i'll ever learn to keep up with my current cornering. Second (or 3rd/4th whatever we're up to now the stop at a chippie or tea/coffee shop)

Spafe-gsx1400

Guest akey

I think what I might do is plan 2 or 3 routes which hopefully cross over or meet up at various places that way we can meet as many peoples needs as possible.

Just so people know (as there are some that havent ridden with me or willow before), dont worry about the pace, none of the groups will be daft quick, these are group rides and therefore not the place for quick riding. You will not get left behind, we will try to get the smaller cc machines at the front of the group as this is the easiest place to ride, we will also not turn off a road without someone acting as a marker so you wont get lost. If you want to have a bit of fun then towards the back of the group is the ideal place, that way you can drop off the back and then catch up again.

I know it may sound a bit anal but I will give all the riders a quick brief before we set off on the route and on how we will ride, I wont apologise if this seems like teaching you to suck eggs but most of us will not have ridden together before and I would rather teach you to suck eggs than someone not ask, feel under pressure and have an accident.

If there are people that want a 'Blast' then I will be more than happy to suggest some good roads for a good play.

I hope those that have ridden with me and willow before would agree that our rides are usually paced about right for a group making reasonable progress without being to quick for anyone.

Guest akey

Revs, up front is the best place to be its alot harder work at the back and you have to ride faster :shock:

Dont worry the pace will be fine in all the groups we wont push anyone to fast.

Cool thats up to 3 groups we can run so far, its coming together nicely :cheers:

Stu once I have a couple of routes I will let you know mate.

ok mate no worries

dont worry about fitting in the right group we can soon swap and change groups at any meeting point just make sure everyone in your group is aware so no one is looking for you :lol:

Will definitely be up for this; if I have my bike by then I will only have a 125 on L's so will be in the slower group haha. If I end up coming pillion with Fozzie and he's going on the ride I'll be in what ever group he is lol, will get back to you closer to the date as to whether I'll be riding or not.

I'd like a "blast" on some nice , bendy B roads if possible. Less cameras and police on them than A roads. There are average speed cameras on the Cat and Fiddle, so no point heading that way methinks! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope those that have ridden with me and willow before would agree that our rides are usually paced about right for a group making reasonable progress without being to quick for anyone.

Indeed!

That was the most people I had ridden with before and it was really comfatable.

Yourself and Willow are extremeley good at leading a group.

The pace was perfect and was the route. :mrgreen:

Nothing to worry about with these guys! :thumb:

Guest akey
I'd like a "blast" on some nice , bendy B roads if possible. Less cameras and police on them than A roads. There are average speed cameras on the Cat and Fiddle, so no point heading that way methinks! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cool I will dig out some routes for you mate and bring them to the rally, but most roads in Derbyshire are 50 mph limits

we will also not turn off a road without someone acting as a marker so you wont get lost.

You mean a 2nd man drop system?

Here is a very good explaination for anyone that hasn't used it before, shamlessly taken from a triumph website, it would be a good idea for people to have a quick read before hand.

For those of you who are not sure how the "Second man drop off system" works, here is a description of what should happen. This was kindly provided by Denis O'Neil. If anyone would like to modify Denis's suggestion in any way, please email me, Bob Johnson.

Before the start you need to identify both the leader and the tail end Charley, MAKING A MENTAL NOTE OF THEIR BIKES AND CLOTHING.

When you are the second man in the pack, and the leader turns off the main route to the left or the right. You should stop and mark the route for the rest of the pack. When you see the tail end Charley you should rejoin the pack just in front of him. In this way with each man taking his turn, you will gradually get to the front of the pack and may become second man again.

Two golden rules, which must be applied in combination with each other to make the system work.

When you are the second man who has dropped off and are indicating the way wait for as long as it takes for the tail end Charley, ( Do not under any circumstances move off until he comes along).

Always keep the man behind you in sight, if you haven’t seen him for some time, slow down and if he still doesn't show, stop and wait for him, if a problem (say breakdown ) arises this process will then be passed forward to the lead man who will soon know because there will be no one behind him.

When rejoining the pack after marking the route, the tail end charley must allow the marker to get in front of him, stop and wait if necessary. Tail ender must always be the last. The marker might have trouble re-starting or get held up meaning he would not know where to go at the next marked junction if left behind. Remember, Tail end must always be last. (amended by Ian Ellis, March 2011)

At islands where the leader goes straight on we do not normally mark the islands, but where straight on is not obvious (Island with more than four adjoining roads) it is best to mark the route. if in doubt, mark it. It does no harm to over mark.

When marking the route it is best to stop just inside the mouth of the road into which we are turning in clear view of the rest of the pack. Every junction is different and it may be best to stop just in-front of say a left hand turning with your left hand outstretched pointing the way. But above all you must put your own safety first.

If you are new to the system and don't feel confident in taking your turn, don't worry just keep towards the back of the pack calling riders past and giving the thumbs up sign to let then know everything is OK. After you have ridden with us a few times you will soon catch on.

Because of their size combos do not take a turn as second man and should be towards the back of the pack. I would suggest that when a combo finds himself in second position that he finds a safe place to pull over and let the rest of the pack pass him. Otherwise when the combo becomes second man it falls to the 3rd man to drop of which causes complication and confusion and the lead man can't always see if the third man is on his tail and has marked the route.

Some leaders of the pack will give a left hand gesture to the second man pointing to where he wants you to stop and mark the route.

You may feel that some turnings are obvious, and don't need to be marked. But what seems obvious to one person is not always obvious to others. Marking a turning you think is obvious will do no harm but not marking a turning because you think its obvious may mislead followers.

Try and have a little empathy and see things from other peoples point of view. When you have been left behind and worried about where to go and then see a fellow rider waiting and marking the way for you, it's very welcoming and makes you feel part of the group..

Second man drop off is a great system as long as he don,t get bored during a delay, people behind stuck in roadworks, and leave the drop zone and the whole rideout stops. Be good if we / Akey put it on Tyre and ideally each have a map and an idea of where we are next gonna stop.

Guest akey

I currently dont plan on using the 2nd man drop off system, while it is a good group ride system its probably not the best in this situation and its more likely we will use the convoy system of keeping 1 person in your mirrors.

Dont take this as gospel we may change the system depending on the route and/or no riders.

Guest akey
Second man drop off is a great system as long as he don,t get bored during a delay, people behind stuck in roadworks, and leave the drop zone and the whole rideout stops. Be good if we / Akey put it on Tyre and ideally each have a map and an idea of where we are next gonna stop.

thats the plan mate, will post routes up a week or so before and will probably print out maps

Really,really looking forward to this now. A long time since I used to do Long hill and the Cat and Fiddle on my 400/4, when it was relatively quiet. Will you be posting the Tyre links so that we can upload em onto Tom Tom?

I'll be going with a zigzag convoy...that way you always have someone in your mirrors. If they start to disappear...you just slow up a little. That way we can keep the pack together and go at a pace comfortable to all. I suggest smaller cc bikes up front as peeps like Roy can wind on the power to catch up. Being at the back gets harder the larger the group is.

think we should forget about what types of system each ride will be using until the day then each group can have a debrief on the day exchange contact numbers etc etc

I think it's helpful for less confident riders, who are nervous about riding in groups and/or have worries about holding people up to know that there are systems out there that will take account of the way in which they ride and that they won't get lost or left behind.

I know that when I started out...riding in a group was a massive issue for me and I wanted as much information about an event as possible so I knew what to expect.

Guest akey

OK that's a fair point that I didn't think of :( my bad.

I'll see who I get and decide on the day and willows group will run the system she has already posted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk