CAR PROBLEM: Peugot 306 L REG, central locking issues :(

Ryder2889

First thing I would like to say is old cars are a bloody nightmare, if only I could afford a modern car I would snap it up.

Right to the problem... The car is an L REG (1993) Peugot 306 1.6 litre XL model (5 door)

Me and my partner went to the supermarket earlier today, we locked the car using the electric central locking button on the cars key. We got our lunch and came back to the car, pressed the button on the key and the car unlocked, every door except the drivers door.

I got in through the passenger side and pulled the door handle to open it for my partner to get in and drive.

When we got home we parked up and started to investigate. The first thing we did was attempt to lock the car with the button on the key fob. You heard the car lock and then instantly unlock itself. So the doors remain open but the cars immobiliser stays on.

We can get the car to lock and unlock by using the key in the door the old fashioned way and turn off the immobilizer from the inside manually, so the car is useable.

The problem appears to be with the electric locking system / key fob.

Anyone got an idea what the hell is happening with this pile of junk?

Renew the watch battery(ies) in the key fob. It MAY cure the problem.

Renew the watch battery(ies) in the key fob. It MAY cure the problem.

Yeah that is on my "ideas to try list", hopefully i will be able to find some new batteries.

The confusing part is the fob works, it unlocks every door except the drivers door.

And then it will lock the car and then unlock it instantly. So it appears the fob does have power in it.

But still its something to try.

Ok partners father suggested that he has seen something similar before and the problem apparently was the cars battery needed charging.

So we just wacked it on charge for an hour on high setting and its not helped.

Dont have any watch batteries to hand to try the fob battery change suggestion.

Anyone else got anything I could try right now?

Peugeot's of this age are notoriously bad for electrical problems and 306's are no exception. Check the loom and connections from body into door, make sure wires are undamaged and intact (I.e not bare or broken) and all plugs are free of corrosion. Check any earths that are in use.

That's just a basic start, try a pug forum they might be able to help more. And good luck electrics can be a sod

They usually do the locking and unlocking thing when you've left a door or boot open. The solenoid may have gone in the drivers door or something may be seized. Wiggle and squirt. Try manually locking the drivers door with the key then locking it with the fob. Reverse for opening it. In my experience, as far as old cars go, if you can drive it, it's as good as it gets. I have an old astra with 250k on it. Lots of silly problems but it starts and runs so what the hey. 8-)

Yeah I guess.

Well to be honest the electric fob has always been useless. You have to touch it against the drivers door for it to work haha, so doing that you might aswell put the key in the door and turn, not much more effort.

Basically the immobiliser doesnt work unless you use the electric fob. So yes the car has no immobiliser anymore, but it aint worth sending into the garage or even me messing about with it.

Its an old banger at the end of the day, it seems to be running ok right now, its had a lot of work done to it this year. New break pads, 2 new tyres, exhaust, clutch, wiper blades, wiper jets... and they are just what i can recall.

If it can see my girl through til the end of her insurance policy (10 month policy about half way through), then she can get a no claims bonus which will make for slightly cheaper insurance when she gets another car. Whether thats another old banger or a newer car who knows.

Thanks for your help guys.

You,ve got a problem with the driver,s door,the drivers door is operated from the key fob,thats why it locks and unlocks ,....lock the drivers door manually ,then use the key fob the other doors will then lock ok ,,...when you get a chance have the drivers door looked at ,could be a solenoid or linkage has come off, :cheers: