Gear changing at junctions

parkmoy

In a car, if you engine brake you will fail your test. As Roadcraft says "gears are to go, brakes are to slow".

Surely that can't be right. 8-)

It is right.

I had to completely retrain my own driving method to pass the ADI Pt 2 driving ability test last year :roll:

nearly right bogoff???, its a should , not a must, so continuos use of engine braking may lead to a culminated serious fault, but not in its own is a serious fault :!:

Brakes £50

Engine £5000

In a car I like to wear out the cheapest parts fastest! I can't comment on a bike I haven't passed my module 2 yet lol. Track days in a car you down shift as you break because it helps to prevent locking a wheel and helps balance the car. I assume you can do similar things on a bike with experience?

You're making the assumption that braking with your engine causes excessive wear, and I don't think that's true.

If you're locking up the wheels through engine braking then you're not doing it properly.

Brakes £50

Engine £5000

In a car I like to wear out the cheapest parts fastest! I can't comment on a bike I haven't passed my module 2 yet lol. Track days in a car you down shift as you break because it helps to prevent locking a wheel and helps balance the car. I assume you can do similar things on a bike with experience?

You're making the assumption that braking with your engine causes excessive wear, and I don't think that's true.

If you're locking up the wheels through engine braking then you're not doing it properly.

youre more likley to wear the clutch when engine braking, than ruin the engine.. if you find youself dragging the clutch as you change down gears, youre doing more harm than good.

Brakes £50

Engine £5000

youre more likley to wear the clutch when engine braking, than ruin the engine.. if you find youself dragging the clutch as you change down gears, youre doing more harm than good.

If you're dragging the clutch when changing down you need to get more rider training, not stop using engine braking.

Problem when engine braking is high reving the engine with no positive pressure on the piston rings causes ring flutter and all sorts in a car engine, especialy if the PCV system isnt upto scratch, and although I know nothing about a bike engine it must share many common properties. Its not a huge deal but still. On the plus side it does sound awsome :bike2:

On a 2 stroke engine there will be no lube for the piston during throttle off periods so the higher the rpm the faster the residue will be expelled and wear is induced, unless the fuel is still fed without spark?? Blipping the throttle between down shifts will help hugely tho. As I said I dont know about bike engines, and the Mazda Wankle engine (essentialy 2 stroke) is questionable in sooooo many ways that the lack of premix lube when the oil injection system has been removed is the least of its worries lol.

If you're dragging the clutch when changing down you need to get more rider training, not stop using engine braking.

Not necessarily true... GP riders and Super Moto riders use the clutch to control rear wheel speed to allow them to drift the back end out on the entry to corners.

If you haven't matched the engine revs to road speed, you're much safer letting the clutch out gently to avoid rear wheel locking than just kicking it down and risking a rear wheel slide, especially if you're still leaning over, but braking whilst still leaning over is a whole other debate ;)

Bike riding and car driving are a bit different lol, testing theories in a car is easy, I have put a few race cars into tyre walls over the years, it doesnt hurt a bit at 60mph, on a bike I cant see the results being as plesant :? My instructor does bike and car track driving instruction and is trying to get me to agree lessons would be a good idea on my bike, I keep telling him I havent passed my part 2 yet leave me alone :lol: