Recovering from a locked wheel

mhomami

Hi guys. I've had this happen to me two or three times and luckily the bike corrected itself.

I was told not to use my rear brake so much and in all honesty I am terrified of touching it at all now. I think I use about 90% front and 10% rear brakes and haven't had any issues with this combination yet. Problem is that now I have a dual-brake system on my bike and I don't dare touch the rear at all.

Can anyone advise on preventing a wheel lock and recovering from a wheel lock?

if your [rear] wheel locks, let go of the brake and reapply :)

And if your front wheel locks, pick yourself up off the floor, check you and the bike still function correctly, and then swing a leg back over and ride on :lol:

EFA :wink:

if your [rear] wheel locks, let go of the brake and reapply :)

And if your front wheel locks, pick yourself up off the floor, check you and the bike still function correctly, and then swing a leg back over and ride on :lol:

EFA :wink:

this is why i usually use the rear much more that the front. I know its a habbit i should stop, but it feels so much safer knowing if i lock up i can correct it but if the front one locks up, there is going to be damage, and i havent had any trouble with this way of braking so far.

What is the reason for using more front? Just because its more powerful, or are there saftey issues?

What is the reason for using more front? Just because its more powerful, or are there saftey issues?

Its a more efficient method as it rotates the bike and transfers the centre of gravity to assist with speed reduction.

My first day out after my CBT I locked the rear wheel trying to stop for a granny who decided on a sudden direction change. Bike started to go sideways and I released and re-applied and managed to control it somehow. Slowed me enough to get round her tho and I've been more carefull how I use both brakes ever since

One very big advantage of riding a V-Twin (as Stu will know only too well)... Brakes? We have BRAKES too? 8-)

I often have to remind myself to apply a brake if only to show a brake light to following traffic

One very big advantage of riding a V-Twin (as Stu will know only too well)... Brakes? We have BRAKES too? 8-)

I often have to remind myself to apply a brake if only to show a brake light to following traffic

i used to have to do that a lot with one of the lads i used to ride with as he would follow me rather then ride is own ride!!!

if he didnt see a brake light he just kept going and i lost count of the times he nearly ran in to the back of me!!

i dont ride with him anymore for this reason!!

Guest akey

Its a more efficient method as it rotates the bike and transfers the centre of gravity to assist with speed reduction.

thats not a bad way of describing it but not entirely accurate as CofG cant actually move!

As you hit the front brake the CofG actually acts further forward due to momentum pushing the weight of the motorcycle more onto the front tyre loading it up and giving more grip (as long as you dont snatch at it), think of the bikes weight acting as a pendulem with the CofG as the pivot for this weight so as you slow down the weight swings forward makeing the front of the bike appear heavier (dynamic loading). As this happens the bike dives a little at the front and rear tyre is unloaded of weight giving it less grip - for an exteame demonstration watch a race bike braking hard into a corner, you will see the rear tyre lift off the ground which = no grip at all !!

The reason for reducing the amount of front brake in the wet is as you dont brake as hard in the wet there is less weight transfer and therefore the grip is more evenly spread between the 2 tyres.

sounds like your pulling your clutch in too early aswell

So thats why I lock up my rear at least twice a week!

Thank you :)

Used to scare the hell out of me but now I just think "oh there it goes again"

Mine seems to lock up at really slow speeds with only 20% rear being used but the clutch at that point is fully in.

sounds like your pulling your clutch in too early aswell

So thats why I lock up my rear at least twice a week!

Thank you :)

Used to scare the hell out of me but now I just think "oh there it goes again"

Mine seems to lock up at really slow speeds with only 20% rear being used but the clutch at that point is fully in.

I hope your taking the piss otherwise that's just bloody dangerous...at least it would be for me :lol: I've only locked my wheel up 3 times in emergency braking situations. What's funny is that every time I hit the rear brakes, gently squeezed the front, and pulled the clutch in to prevent the engine stall! It made sense to me at the time but having said that, no one taught me otherwise. Now I know better :D

If you're locking the wheel you're applying too much brake, simple as. As weight shifts to the front, the rear becomes lighter. As your speed decreases slowly release pressure, this is known as feathering.

If you've seen the stunt videos of riders doing a stoppie, you've see an extreme version of the rear becoming light.

I only use the rear for slow manoevering or loose surfaces. On some heavy bikes it has very little effect.

When the wheel locks you have less stopping power and zero steering. Panic not and let go. It's very easy to freeze and hang on the brake.

Locking the front is more of a problem. At slow speed there's little time to react but at high speed you have a chance to correct.

If you squeeze the brakes it should only ever be a problem on a poor or contaminated surface.

Tests have shown that the same stopping force can be applied in the wet, but over a longer distance, by gradually increasing pressure (on the front). 8-)

Get a bike with abs problem solved ;)

But as stated if your locking wheels often your braking too late and too hard.

You could also try riding in a lower gear and let the engine do some of the braking when you roll off the throttle.

Locking the back wheel up on purpose is hilarious with a pillion, untill you deck it and look like an ass (not happened to me, YET)

I think my back brake use would be 80/20 in dry and 10/90 in wet, never seem to lock it up, I did use to lock up the rear when changing down, occasionally, and only for the first few weeks :)

This was only in a straight line so never had to think about recovering really, always terrified of locking the front in the wet haha

• 2 weeks later...
this is why i usually use the rear much more that the front. I know its a habbit i should stop, but it feels so much safer knowing if i lock up i can correct it but if the front one locks up, there is going to be damage, and i havent had any trouble with this way of braking so far.

You need to snap out of that mate!!!

Just remember.... do all your breaking while up right if possible, you need to use the front break as its much more powerful and offers more grip while slowing down.

I have a YBR like you and I have only ever locked the back wheel 2 or 3 times both under emergency breaking, bad emergency breaking.

If your going to go down mate then your going to go down, i would rather go down than go into the back of the car in front because I am scared to touch my front break.