Another insurance pi55take thread....

GazW

A few of you may remember me saying I was looking to sell my girlfriends car as she is expecting and the finance was too much.

We are struggling to sell it, but she already got a loan, cleared the finance in doing which she extended the term. Since we are having problems selling, we have dropped the price over £1000 from what we were originally advised to sell at. I no longer consider it finicially viable to sell the car, so I have offered to pay the loan for 12 months out of my savings untill she goes back to work.

Long story short, Nic gets a quote for the car (59 plate 1.6 astra) female, 25, no accidents, no points 5/6 no claims. £750. I try on my own, 23, not got any no claims (with the car, I haven't driven for 18 months, but out of the 4 cars I had I didn't have one over a year.... As it was cheaper to buy out the policy and go elsewhere than to switch the cars onto an existing policy) 3 points, SP30 which off in october. No accidents. £3900!!!!

To add me to the quote she just got, her insurance drops to £630???

Do they just make it up? In their eyes I'm high risk (must be for a 4K quote) yet to add me to hers it drops? I'm obviously a higher risk than her. Where is the logic?? Or are they just hoping I write the car off so they could charge her through the arse next year

My 85HP 1.6 Astra fully comp (worth 2k) cost me 1,400 right after doing my test at age 23.

If I make it through to a year that drops to about £800 with 1 years no claims (car woth £1,500).

If I go and buy a Mercedes CLK worth £9,000 fully comp, that does 0-60 in 8 seconds, has 150HP etc etc. Costs me 1,020 with 1 years no claims bonus. Same applies with some other expensive cars. Just nuts. :roll:

Seriously? Its just downright daft. Been having a play around this afternoon and the results are as follows.

Me on my own - cohabiting, cohabitee the registered owner and keeper, living together £3900 (the one I posted earlier)

Me on my own, with the missus as the legal owner, but me the registered keeper - £2100

Girlfriends policy - Me named driver declaring points £690

Girlfriends policy - Me named driver not declaring points (this was just out of interest, I would not do this) £670

Nice to know that my ability as a driver is exactly the same but with change of circumstances then the varience is £3230. Stupid.. The end result is me driving the car, thats what should matter, my mannerisms on the road. Not all that bollocks!!!

change main drivers around to see which works better and get the cheapest quote you can do.

Be very careful doing that. Fronting is illegal, and will almost certainly invalidate any insurance you may get doing it..

Insurance companies are strange to say the least...

I drive an Astra VXR, quote for me on my own, 1yr n/c, 8yr licence, 0 accidents and 0 points = £900 (roughly)

Quote for me and my girlfriend, she got her licence last November so she is a new driver, 0 n/c etc etc. My new quote £600.

Just out of interest I got a quote for her on her own driving my VXR and it came back as £3000.

Just out of interest I got a quote for her on her own driving my VXR and it came back as £3000.

I saved £60 by taking my wife out of my insurance.

I could save thousands by moving the fullstop. :lol:

I drive an Astra VXR, quote for me on my own, 1yr n/c, 8yr licence, 0 accidents and 0 points = £900 (roughly)

Quote for me and my girlfriend, she got her licence last November so she is a new driver, 0 n/c etc etc. My new quote £600.

So her own policy costs more, but adding her to yours reduces everything? :shock:

If that's logical, I dont know logic is :lol:

There is actually a reason. You wouldn't drive your mum's car the way you drive yours. You would be more careful (yep even if you are already a careful driver) because it isn't your car. When you share a car you share inevitably costs and this aspect is probably producing more careful less selfish drivers. After all insurance is based on statistics. Young single men in VXRs have more crashes than young men in VXRs whose girl also drives it. Probably.

That all said, Djiceman's quote doesn't fit in to my explanation. :?

change main drivers around to see which works better and get the cheapest quote you can do.

Be very careful doing that. Fronting is illegal, and will almost certainly invalidate any insurance you may get doing it..

I was assuming it was a shared 'family' car driven equally tbh...

It's worked out thus:-

Single bloke = naughty child

Single female = Airhead

Single bloke + Female = adult + naughty child

Adult + naughty child + nagging = adult + good child

You do the math. Simpleshttp://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/imagesCAPOIJH2.jpg

Ha ha a meerkat smiley 8-)

Doesnt work like that anymore, all "named" drivers are generally given equal weight when it comes to actually who drives the car most. Fronting basically doesnt exist anymore, this has only come in since they started using named drivers experience as no claims bonus!

The only things that count about main drivers to insurance is wether they can charge more lol

Your missus brings you down? and you bring her down? You should try counsellinghttp://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/Violence_3.gif

so should you with some of these crap one liners :P

:lol: :lol:

Well I got a renewal through and with one years no claims its gone up so its cancelled and ive decided to use the money to pay the wife to chaufeur me to and from work when its too dodgy for the bike :)