Mod 1, slalom and figure of eight, slow ride

I have my mod 1 tomorrow.

I remember from my cbt, when carrying out slow manouevres, my instructor told me to use plenty of revs, clutch control, and the back brake, all together. Personally, and I've ridden bikes for many years, I find it easier to use finer clutch control at close to tickover revs, and rarely use the back brake.

Will I be marked down for riding in this way? Also, I tend to wobble a little bit when doing these things, will the examiner expect that, or mark me down?

Also, I find it easier to do the slalom and figure of eight at a slightly higher speed than I've seen on many utube videos. This rules out the wobbles. Would the examiner fail me for going too fast, if I have good control? Is this something I could perhaps ask the examiner, before I do the exercise?

Thanks

as for slow maneuvers, I dont think it matters what technique you use as long as you are in control of the bike

Although I havent done my mod1 yet, so am not really in a position to answer that lol

Will I be marked down for riding in this way? Also, I tend to wobble a little bit when doing these things, will the examiner expect that, or mark me down?

Would the examiner fail me for going too fast, if I have good control? Is this something I could perhaps ask the examiner, before I do the exercise?

No you won't get marked down for that, wobbles are expected and not a problem so long as you don't drop a foot during the exercise.

The key is good control. Do the exercise at the speed you feel comfortable with.

I wouldn't ask him personally, since you should know the answer to these questions if you have prepared properly (sufficient training etc) for the test. If you have to ask, he might just decide that you're not ready for a pass until your instructor spends more time with you :wink:

you won't be marked down if you barley use the back brake but you could fail for going to fast. its aimed at doing it at walking pace or just above

Since when? All they're interested in is whether you do it under full control at all times. Speed is largely irrelevant other than if it becomes a safety issue.

personally i used to do what you do, with close to tickover revs and little brake, but to be honest , whenh i mastered using much more revs and the brake it was much more stable and less wobbly, up to you tho, do what works for you

I don't think you need to worry about wobbling, so long as you don't put a foot down. As for the speed of the figures of eight/slalom, I would have thought that so long as you are in full control it shouldn't matter - but these manouevres are in the slow part at the start of the test so not 100% sure! It might just depend on the examiner - I wouldn't have thought they could fail you but at the worst may be a minor?

Best of luck for tomorrow :)

you won't be marked down if you barley use the back brake but you could fail for going to fast. its aimed at doing it at walking pace or just above

Since when? All they're interested in is whether you do it under full control at all times. Speed is largely irrelevant other than if it becomes a safety issue.

This, my instructor actually told me that it is easier to go slightly faster as the bike would be more stable and less wobbly. I was not marked down for going faster.

I saw a few people when I was training doing mod1 slalom/slow speed manouvres at near tick-over revs with the engine knocking etc - doesn't sound or look very good.

Get some revs on and slip the clutch :)

Yes, this is how I see it....They are looking for good safe control...keep the revs busy and slip the biting point of the clutch

If you keep the revs up you'll get some gyroscopic effect from the bits of the engine that are spinning that will help your stability and then it's all about using your clutch to control your speed. Always having a little bit of drive going through the wheel helps as well, if you suddenly pull the clutch right in half way round the turn you'll notice it start to fall over so keep it driving.

I spent my first two lessons after my CBT on the school site learning this with my instructor constantly yelling "POWER" at me (no, I wasn't taught by Jeremy Clarkson) to make me keep the revs up and use the clutch better.

I used my low revs approach. Passed! Just marked down for one minor error, going through the speed trap at just 45 for the swerve. Thrashed my little Suzuki Gn the next time, just managed 51!