Yamaha ybr125 engine light

Enaver

Hey everyone,

Heres what happend...

Driving to work for about 5 mins. Engine light came on and killed the engine. Electrics were still working, however i thought if i turned it on and off it would all work again and that it just needed a reset. When i turned it back on, none of the electronics worked.

However, if i kick start it the electrics start to working and engine is sounding normal. But when it goes to start the engine light comes on and kills it.

Any ideas people?

Cheers

Hey everyone,

However, if i kick start it the electrics start to working and engine is sounding normal. But when it goes to start the engine light comes on and kills it.

Flat battery, and/or Reg/Rec

you mean when you put it in gear it cuts out?

Sorry didnt explain that bit properly.

Nope, while still in neutral. Like it makes all the right noises and such while trying to start it, but when the kick start works (after a few times of trying it) it dies straight away and the engine light flicks on then dies with it.

engine light? All i can think of on the YBR is indicators, neutral, headlights and oil. (I think its oil) So maybe check the oil level. Although I dont think it cuts the bike out if your low. A nice saftey feature if it does though

Did the electrics progressively fail and dim?

If so thats your rec/reg

The engine warning light might be there to say there is a fault. If you have an injection system therein maybe the problem :)

But if it just cut out, no dimming of the lights, battery still works and holds a good voltage then you need to open your manual and have a read of what it could mean :cheers:

The rectifier/regulator is a small device on the bike that looks like this...

http://www.bikestrikesnstuff.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/large-thumb-regulator-rectifier.jpg

Your bikes alternator will produce power, this then goes in its raw form to the reg/rec where it is turned into nice 12 volt DC. This is used to charge your battery.

If the device fails completely or doesnt work properly your battery wont charge correctly or at all. Meaning it wont start and then causing the electrics to dim as the battery dies until it completely dies.

A way to check is to see if the battery charges well but then doesnt hold charge when the bike is run. If it works fine and then dies again its a sign that it could be the rec/reg

Hope that helps :thumb:

The rectifier/regulator is a small device on the bike that looks like this...

http://www.bikestrikesnstuff.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/large-thumb-regulator-rectifier.jpg

Your bikes alternator will produce power, this then goes in its raw form to the reg/rec where it is turned into nice 12 volt DC. This is used to charge your battery.

If the device fails completely or doesnt work properly your battery wont charge correctly or at all. Meaning it wont start and then causing the electrics to dim as the battery dies until it completely dies.

A way to check is to see if the battery charges well but then doesnt hold charge when the bike is run. If it works fine and then dies again its a sign that it could be the rec/reg

Hope that helps :thumb:

you seem to know about reg/rec's. Whats with the name? "reg/rec", is that because some people call them reg and some call them rec? And what does reg and rec stand for?

(sorry, taking the thread off topic slightly, just think of it as a side note :) )

reg rec is regulator/rectifier!

the output of your alternator is AC

the rectifier bit turns it to DC

the regulator bit controls the magnitude

if/when they fail they tend to put too much

into battery and cook it!

The OP's original post sounds more like a battery

or connection fault to me!

first thing to check (easiest/cheapest) is the 2 leads to the battery

are they clean?tight? good connections?

Update:

Found out it was the fuse. Replaced it. Then i had to find out what caused the fuse to trip. My front light had stop working so i replaced that and it seems to be working fine. Seems the broken light triped it. Only thing i could think of.

It's always the simple things... How odd though that the fuse governing the front light also has say over whether your bike works :lol:

I would suspect there maybe an underlying problem but ride it for a while if it works and see what happens :thumb: