Help regarding freedom of information

I put in 2 grievances at work, I work for a voluntary organisation, neither were upheld.

Can I ask for copies of all documents pertaining to these grievances?

Was thinking of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 but not sure if this is just government documents or any documents held by an employer?

Does anyone know?!

Ta!

Vicki :) x

Data Protection Act 1998.

"Subject access request". Request a copy of all data in relation to the individual (i.e. you).

That's all for now, am at work and aren't an expert on it.

After you have made your freedom of information request they have 30 days to respond

or they're in breach of the FoI act

You should also put in an appeal against the grievance outcome, check your grievance policy

Sadly I have lost all faith in the process that my company offers, and for my own health and well being will not be taking it further...

Been there, done that, again ended it because of my health, you have my utmost sympathies, it is such a horrible place to be. I went on to use FOI to get a copy of my personel files and found some pretty derogatory stuff had been put in there about me when I took out my grievance. I used that information to write a reply and that put into the file, so in the future anyone reading it would see both sides of what happened. I included evidence of how they had failed to follow a number of their own policies and grievance procedure. I also insisted on writen conformation that my response had been put into the file, so if it disappears I have another grievance.

It was very cathartic to write the reply and when those involved read it, which I am sure they did, I hope they felt like complete shits.

It has been awful.... but I made a decision as to how far I was going to take it, and ive come to the end of that road.

Your post is a carbon copy of what has happened to me... and I too feel that I have to reply and let them know that if i was strong enough and had faith in their procedures I would get a solicitor and wipe the floor with them... sadly though, im not and i dont.

I just have to say my piece and let it go.... and look for another job.

Without going into detail, my grievance was against a colleague for bullying and a manager for .. well.. not managing the situation.

As such, do you think that they will share the info... found this quote....

Can the organisation withhold any information?

Yes. There are some circumstances where the information you have asked for contains information that relates to another person. Unless the other person gives their permission, or it is reasonable in all the circumstances to provide the information without permission, the organisation is entitled to withhold this information.

All colleagues interviewed in the investigation were asked questions about me and the colleagues i made the grievance against... so I assume they cant share the information?

Might just write back and tell em what i think, that my grievance was totally honest and accurate and to put it on file. Really need to let this go now.

Yeh, ive been reading that today..... i just wanna send an email now telling em exactly what i think.... but better not lol!

Will wait for my boyfriend to come over and talk it through...

Thanks for your support and advice, its much appreciated!

I submiited my response to what I found in my personnel file about 6 months afterwards. Time is a great healer and it also felt like revenge is a dish best served cold, once you ahve clamed down and had a chance to relect your are way more considered and effective in any response you give.

:cheers:

Vicki, sorry I have only just seen this.

FOI only applies to those PUBLIC SECTOR organisations listed in the Schedule of the act, it effectively covers government departments and local authorities, there are also a number of exclusions.

DPA '98 covers personal information, and much of this can be redacted, ie if there is a reply on record for your grievance (ie an email) they can and probably will remove all other names contained within the email.

It might be worth wading through the schedule of the act to see if the organisation is covered, but I doubt it. DPA subject access requests are subject to the same 30 day turn around time.