anyone know much about shares?

Stu

are they worth buying?

been offered them through the company i work for and im debating wether to or not

we have been offered them 2 for 1 so if we bought £10 a month we would actually get £30!

any advice welcome :)

I don't know alot but my place does the same. I work for a multiple national company and they grow every year. What you need to look at is, is the company going to grow and do you mind waiting for a return in say 5-10yrs time.

There good schemes but I'd do some research first and someone else on here might know more lol :)

I know someone whose wife is in a share scheme, usually they clear a decent return but as with these things its not gauranteed, she has to hold onto her shares this time till the market recovers a little as she would lose on them at the moment!

A guy where I work entered the company's share scheme, he put in 9k over 3 years, and got about 24k back at the end of it.

so the shares went down then!!

to be honest i can see it just growing and growing as they have their hand in everwhere and profit is just getting higher and higher each year

I know someone whose wife is in a share scheme, usually they clear a decent return but as with these things its not gauranteed, she has to hold onto her shares this time till the market recovers a little as she would lose on them at the moment!

well the thing with my job is that the worse the market is the more and more people cant afford to run cars etc so use public transport so more profit for the company!!

A guy where I work entered the company's share scheme, he put in 9k over 3 years, and got about 24k back at the end of it.

to be honest i can see it just growing and growing as they have their hand in everwhere and profit is just getting higher and higher each year

No the share price went up, he put in 9k total over the duration of 3 years, at the end of it, he got back 24k. That's 2.6 x the investment back! :shock:

Here, they guarantee that you'll get back at least what you put in if the market goes south, if that's the case with your workplace, then it's a no lose situation

well the thing with my job is that the worse the market is the more and more people cant afford to run cars etc so use public transport so more profit for the company!!

How true :mrgreen:

No the share price went up, he put in 9k total over the duration of 3 years, at the end of it, he got back 24k. That's 2.6 x the investment back! :shock:

Here, they guarantee that you'll get back at least what you put in if the market goes south, if that's the case with your workplace, then it's a no lose situation

sorry thought you ment 9k a year :lol: :oops:

its also untaxed earnings too not sure if this is that same with them all so would pay less tax per week and if i keep paying in for 5 years then i dont pay TAX or NI on any of it

dont think we the same back if it goes south though :?

If you're getting 30 quids worth for every tenner then that's 3:1.

So they would have to drop by 66% before you lost any of your original investment. Doesn't sound very likely, but I don't know the company.

What's the restrictions on you selling them.? There must be something to stop you putting in a grand and then flogging them all for 3k straight away.

If you're getting 30 quids worth for every tenner then that's 3:1.

So they would have to drop by 66% before you lost any of your original investment. Doesn't sound very likely, but I don't know the company.

What's the restrictions on you selling them.? There must be something to stop you putting in a grand and then flogging them all for 3k straight away.

sorry yeah its 2 shares for 1 wheer the company gives us 2 for every 1 we buy up to the value of £20 a month

i havent go to the restrictions on selling them yet :lol:

we can only buy a max of £125 a month and they are kept in a trust if we take them out before 5 years we will have to pay TAX and Ni on tem when we sell them if we keep them in the trust till after the 5 years we dont pay nothing on them if we decide to sell them

I know a little bit about these thing since I'm a tax advisor (please don't hold it against me :oops: )

The way you have described the shares and the plan it sounds like an approved scheme so your capital will be protected no matter what happens to the share price. At the end of 3 years you can take your money back or you can take the shares and sell them. The only price fluctuation you are exposed to is in the time between you asking for the shares and selling them, you can do this within an hour as a general rule.

The tax savings are worth it. Say you make £20,000, you pay tax and NIC on the £20,000 after you personal allowance. If you put £100 a month into the scheme, you only pay tax on £18,800 etc. Since NIC plus tax is effectively 30 - 40% or higher it's a really good saving.

If you hold onto the shares for more than 5 years they become a capital gain when you sell them which is not subject to NIC and the tax rate is 18%, plus you have a separate personal allowance for gains of £10,100 which means they are often tax free.

Ok I've said way too much but hope you found it vaguely helpful! Or maybe nobody read this far since it was all tax chat :shock:

Ok I've said way too much but hope you found it vaguely helpful! Or maybe nobody read this far since it was all tax chat :shock:

why stop there? :lol:

found it a bit more helpfull

yes its a HMRC approved share investment plan and goes through the yorkshire building society

I have been in several share issues through my employers not lost a penny yet, some I didn't make a lot others I did, all administered through Yorkshire Bank.

You do need to be aware that share values may go down as well as up, so you may find you have to hold them until the price starts to rise, as a rule been a good way of making some savings.