Passed !!! But celebration cut short :(

So I passed with 5 minors, rob the examiner is a biker and all in top guy, really makes things easy for you, he is at atherton mptc near bolton, okay so why am I sad?

I return home and check the insurance on a zx6r I've been lusting over for ages (2000 zx6r) and guess what 9000£ yes nine grand, my face nearly fell off, no one was cheaper, so I checked the r1 the 600 f, all of them came out with insurance that was bonkers, I'm 18 years old by the way, the bandit came out cheapest at 700 quid, but I really hate the way it looks! It's so naked, and then the weird 1990 gauges, an the retro single headlamp, the sv650 Is ok swell as the hyosung gt, but they both soud shite with a performance exhaust, so yeah, gutted I couldnt get the zx6r...

Best to stay away from the super sports bikes at your age, you'll not get a reasonable quote for one until your about 21 or built up a few years no claims im afraid.

The sv650 is lovely, and jamiek here is about your age and has one, 04 plate too i think. Dont think his insurance was too bad either, so perhaps your best looking at something like that.

Plus it'll restrict better than a bloody r1! Are you trying to kill yourself lol!

Well done on your test!

Trying to insure a sports bike at your age having just passed your test is the same as passing your car test and getting a quote for a Porsche 911 - it will be stupidly expensive. It's the insurance companies way of politely telling you to get lost!

I can sympatise with you somewhat. when i was looking around for my first bike i wasn't keen on naked bandits/hornets etc, i didn't fancy a zx6r or cbr600 as i thought they would be too lary for me and i don't like the look of the pre-facelift sv650's. Bizzarely though i did like the later gsx600f :shock: not something many people would reccommend but i've found it to be a perfectly capable first big bike. Plenty quick enough for new riders without being scary, comfortable and a good bike to gain some experience on.

Well congrats on your pass, and you shouldn't be too surprised at the insurance quotes! There are plenty of bikes out there that would put a smile on your face I'm sure, get your experience on one of them and aim for the ZX6R in a few years' time - you'll get your heart's desire eventually :mrgreen: