restricting motorcycles

Hi guys

wondered if anybody could give me any advice on the restricting of motorcycles for the 2 years

mainly are there any bikes more suitable for restricting

or are there any lists of bikes suitable or not

cheers any advice would be greatly received

shaun

we need a guide writing up on this really as it gets asked a lot so do a search and you will find loads of info

theres also another thread running in bike chat covering restriction

the first thing i would do is check out insurance as regardless of if you are restricted the insurance dont take it in to account

a V twin or a bike with lots of torque takes restriction really well as do most bikes they will all run well but for overtaking etc you need a torquey bike

also think if you are planning on keeping the bike a few years and when you remove the ristriction its a bike jump and what sort of riding will you be doing?

Boothys £3 restrictor is a lot lot lot worse than my £240 fitted restrictor... :D

Mine was the £200 kit that FI international sell that somebody had taken out of there bike and put on ebay... same company that Jamie bought his from but I got mine second hand :lol:

Just a question.. if you have passed your tests? DAS? Or haven't you?

Why would you want a bike restricted?

If you pass your full test when your aged between 17 and 20 (your not allowed to take DAS) then you have to have a bike that is 33bhp or below for the first 2 years. You can also do the restricted license once you are 21 but the same restrictions apply.

If you pass your full test when your aged between 17 and 20 (your not allowed to take DAS) then you have to have a bike that is 33bhp or below for the first 2 years. You can also do the restricted license once you are 21 but the same restrictions apply.

I'm 21 soon and trying to get things sorted of my DAS and bike. So even if I do my DAS for the first 2 years I'll be limited to 33bhp? Or have I read that wrong lol

I'm 21 soon and trying to get things sorted of my DAS and bike. So even if I do my DAS for the first 2 years I'll be limited to 33bhp? Or have I read that wrong lol

No you will be 21 so you can take DAS... you won't be limited...

My bike is a restricted Suzuki Gladius (SFV650), it takes the restriction really well as it's a v-twin. There is hardly any discernible difference at lower speeds it's only if you wanted to thrash it (which I don't) that you might find it levelling off - however I've never gone that fast :lol: :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

hi

not only for u21 - I did my cbt,mod 1&2 myself without lessons and now ride a vstrom 650 as mentioned above I tried several bikes with restrictors and fell in love with the vstrom - it really does deliver power well with the restrictor unit in

pat

hi

not only for u21 - I did my cbt,mod 1&2 myself without lessons and now ride a vstrom 650 as mentioned above I tried several bikes with restrictors and fell in love with the vstrom - it really does deliver power well with the restrictor unit in

pat

Presume you're over 21 but took your test on a 125 then? :?

hi

pat

Presume you're over 21 but took your test on a 125 then? :?

hi yep over 21 .... 44 !

I got a Honda cbf 125 and planned keeping it for a short commute in the summer - I then decided to simply take my mod 1&2 to get rid of my L plates - it was fun researching how to pass without lessons- I passed in the summer a week later I was offered a job I couldn't refuse which involves 60 mile round trip - I tried out several restricted bikes and agree the torque range of the v twin is fantastic I settled on the v strom - I have tried the unrestricted unit (simply plug it in under the seat ) on a pvt road and it of course makes a big difference but you only really notice when really pushing it certainly not accelerating Upto 70 mph and top speed into 3 figures.

I have spent some of the money saved on not taking the das in a couple of advanced riding lessons which has made a massive difference - stuff you couldn't learn on das as if you drove like that on your test you would fail ..big time

pat

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about de-restricting a 125cc bike so that it will produce more than the 15hp restriction. What does this typically entail and what sort of horse power can you hope to achieve (I'm sure it depend on the bike but if you have any examples of specific bikes I'd bbe interested to know). Cheers

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about de-restricting a 125cc bike so that it will produce more than the 15hp restriction. What does this typically entail and what sort of horse power can you hope to achieve (I'm sure it depend on the bike but if you have any examples of specific bikes I'd bbe interested to know). Cheers

Most 125's are not restricted, they give out all they can! If your just on a cbt you won't legally be able to ride anything more than 14.6bhp anyway and the best thing to do is sit your full test and get something bigger than a 125 :thumb:

• 2 months later...

The best way to find out is to first visit this site:

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Motorcycling/Motorcycles/Learner+approved+motorcycles

Gives you a huge list of all bikes that are under 33 bhp

Or if your set on having a more powerful bike for after the two years, just search '33 bhp restrictor kits'

Good Luck

The best way to find out is to first visit this site:

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Motorcycling/Motorcycles/Learner+approved+motorcycles

Gives you a huge list of all bikes that are under 33 bhp

Or if your set on having a more powerful bike for after the two years, just search '33 bhp restrictor kits'

Good Luck

Australia operates a different licensing system

Most of those bikes are over 33 BHP