CG125 will only run with no throttle

Ingah

I'm beginning to hate bikes as far as commuter transport goes.

Today's problem is that the CG125 took me about a mile and a half down the road, and then gave up the ghost.

It'd been running like crap anyway, but at least it was getting me to work and back, in the dark (something that neither of my 500's are able to do at the moment as they're both sitting in the garage with their front ends hanging off... i'm in the middle of swapping them!)

CG engine will start, the idle is noticeably slower, but the second you touch the throttle, bam, it stops running. Half choke and full choke prevent it from starting entirely. It's clearly a fuelling issue, i've had the carb off as recently as a few days before hand for cleaning/compressed-air-in-a-can in the hope i'd solve the running-like-crap-problem (and rode it over 20 miles, a couple of times, since, successfully).

I can't fathom this though, my plan is to check the fuel tap bowl and the carb float bowl for rust, again. I'm expecting to find nothing. I suppose it's possible i've done something wrong in the carb, but i've had it apart a good number of times now so it's not like i don't know how to put it back together correctly... (and i'm not eager at the prospect of doing it again either, but i guess i have to, to check the float bowl). It's such a simple system that i simply cannot see why it's broken :lol:

Previous thread on CG running like crap: http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/view ... =5&t=40369

Yours sincerely (fed up),

Ingah.

Do it again then check the plug, is it wet?

As if it was then you have too much petrol going in, which is what it sounds like as the idle jet is working fine but the main jet is drawing too much... But that maybe wrong as these problems are ambiguous at best :lol:

So as Stu said check the air filter, make sure all the vacuum hoses are all clear and go to the right places etc

air filter all connected up properly? idle screw set right ? diaphram in the carb not spilt?

Air filter i serviced very recently (re-usable). Also put a light smearing of oil onto it as i've read you're supposed to do (and was wondering if this was a bad idea in light of it not running great when it used to run fine years ago when the air filter never had any oil smeared on it).

I'm not too sure on the idle screw setting... which number is that and i'll check it tomorrow: http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/hpl/i ... __1500.jpg

Diaphragm is fine.

Do it again then check the plug, is it wet?

As if it was then you have too much petrol going in, which is what it sounds like as the idle jet is working fine but the main jet is drawing too much... But that maybe wrong as these problems are ambiguous at best :lol:

So as Stu said check the air filter, make sure all the vacuum hoses are all clear and go to the right places etc

Will do that tomorrow.

There are no vacuum hoses in this carb as i am aware (petrol is gravity-fed from the tank)? http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/hpl/i ... __1500.jpg

Sell the 3 bikes and buy one reliable one... :lol:

And when someone runs over my one reliable bike? What then? As i won't have any spares to use! (as things are currently, if i'm honest... although things will turn out right once i have sorted these machines... i hope.)

Sell the 3 bikes and buy one reliable one... :lol:

And when someone runs over my one reliable bike? What then? As i won't have any spares to use! (as things are currently, if i'm honest... although things will turn out right once i have sorted these machines... i hope.)

Most people who commute on bikes manage... ohh and ebay.

Most people who commute on bikes manage... ohh and ebay.

"Boss, i won't be in the for the next 3-4 days whilst i wait for some part to turn up from eBay."

"What's that boss, i'm fired?"

looks like number 11 for the idle screw infact its not the idle screw its the pilot/mixture screw :lol:

but thinking about it that shouldnt have an affect on it!! as its ticking over just fine?

was it running fine before you oiled the air filter?

looks like number 11 for the idle screw infact its not the idle screw its the pilot/mixture screw :lol:

but thinking about it that shouldnt have an affect on it!! as its ticking over just fine?

was it running fine before you oiled the air filter?

No it wasn't. But that was down to the jet needle having fell down into the carb. I might try cleaning it again regardless, but if it needs a dry filter to run there's a problem elsewhere anyway, because you're supposed to put a little oil on them to my understanding...

And good, it looked like number 11 to me too :)

Don't remember seeing that in the carb though, certainly nothing at that orientation that was adjustable... Guess i'll have to poke around.

Not happy with the tickover either, it's noticeably slower. But it does work.

it could be that you have too much oil in it as its easily done :)

will it rev without riding it or does it cut straight out?

try removing your filter and see if it will rev dont run it like this though

I wasn't all that clear there, i've already done a few hundred juddery miles with my oiled air filter.

It will cut straight out, even on the slightest application of throttle.

Is the main needle on the correct groove? I'm assuming that there are a series of grooves on the needle and you can set the height of it by putting the circlip securing it to the slider into different grooves....

Sorry I'm not very clear on this.....but check in the manual which groove it should be on. I think on the diagram it's assy 9 on the left side of the diagram and item 2 is the needle.

Is the main needle on the correct groove? I'm assuming that there are a series of grooves on the needle and you can set the height of it by putting the circlip securing it to the slider into different grooves....

Sorry I'm not very clear on this.....but check in the manual which groove it should be on. I think on the diagram it's assy 9 on the left side of the diagram and item 2 is the needle.

Interesting you bring this up as it was something i was quite unsure about so i put it back on a 'middle' setting, and have been thinking it might be the reason it's been juddering etc. Didn't know this setting would be in the manual, thanks!

Interesting you bring this up as it was something i was quite unsure about so i put it back on a 'middle' setting, and have been thinking it might be the reason it's been juddering etc. Didn't know this setting would be in the manual, thanks!

I think in the Haynes manual they would say which groove it should go on.....otherwise it may be a case of trial and error......or ask on a Honda forum..

But if it's not in the correct groove it'll mess up your fuelling at anything over tickover. As a matter of interest can you remember how many grooves are on it....from the dark recesses of what's left of my brain I seem to remember it having 4 or 5 grooves.....

Just as a bit of guidance......moving the clip up the needle (towards the flat end) will weaken the mixture and moving it down (towards the pointy end) will richen the mixture. Take your plug out and have a look at what colour it is....then move the clip appropriately as above.

Hope this helps mate.....

Bob

I think in the Haynes manual they would say which groove it should go on.....otherwise it may be a case of trial and error......or ask on a Honda forum..

But if it's not in the correct groove it'll mess up your fuelling at anything over tickover. As a matter of interest can you remember how many grooves are on it....from the dark recesses of what's left of my brain I seem to remember it having 4 or 5 grooves.....

EDITED: 5.

Edited by Ingah

Foam air filter requires very light soak of light gear/fork oil and then you squeeze (don't twist) out as much as you can.

Paper filters cannot be reused unless you vacuum them.

I will bet my last penny that it's your carb that is at fault. Easiest option is just replace with a brand new one :) otherwise you need to strip it and give it a very good clean out.

I don't know if you've said that you've put an inline filter on yet?

*Sigh*

That bloody jet needle had fallen in, AGAIN.

The "butterfly-shaped" washer holding it up had distorted and let it drop in. Grrrr @ the bad design.

Have a spare butterfly shaped washer that i can use, but i've already ordered a new 2nd hand carb and plan to use that instead, because there was clearly an underlying problem (judder judder) even before this happened. First thing i plan to do with the new carb is take it apart and compare vs my existing carb, i really want to know what's wrong!

I too would bet on it being the carb, as the CG is so simple there's very little else it could be :wink:

Have you checked the float valve

it may be leaking and overfilling the float chamber

usually noticeable from the fuel spilling onto the floor from the overflow pipe

That happened too the previous time i'd put it together before this more recent issue. But i knew what it was and took it apart again and sorted it.