Anyone know owt about ADHD?

pinki-88

Hey

ive just been recommended to go to see my GP about the possibility about having ADHD.

apparently i have some of the usual symptoms, if thats the right way to put it, such as lack of concentration, restlessness ect.

does anyone here have any experiance of it?

just wondering wether i should go in to see my GP or not. or are they just going to think im just lazy or something?

thanks

ive just been recommended to go to see my GP about the possibility about having ADHD.

apparently i have some of the usual symptoms, if thats the right way to put it, such as lack of concentration, restlessness ect.

does anyone here have any experiance of it?

just wondering wether i should go in to see my GP or not. or are they just going to think im just lazy or something?

thanks

Yes I do, and yes you should. The classic symptoms for ADHD are also the classic symptoms for a number of other conditions and/or ailments, so you should absolutely go to your GP for a diagnosis and prognosis.

Make the appointment.

when i was a kid i knew someone with adhd. he had it for years and finally they put him on some sort of drugs and its like it had cured it. it made a big difference

so if its effecting your life in a negative way then definitely go and see your gp

when i was a kid i knew someone with adhd. he had it for years and finally they put him on some sort of drugs and its like it had cured it. it made a big difference

so if its effecting your life in a negative way then definitely go and see your gp

Ritalin. It's a chemical handcuff and masks the symptoms and often the underlying reasons that led to the diagnosis. Used more for the benefit of others than the patient in many cases, particularly cases where there has been a misdiagnosis.

ADHD gets an awful lot of bad press as it is often put forward as the reason for poor behaviour in school age children, often in cases where the parents can't "cope".

Again I would strongly recomment that the OP gets to see his GP, and depending on his age ask his GP if a referral to CAMHS for assessment would be appropriate.

I would stress that I am not a mental health expert, but I have spent many years working in schools and dealing with the behavioural consequences of children with ADHD, children whose parents believe their child has ADHD and children with parents who just want to get their child on Ritalin for a quiet life.

I have spent many years working in schools and dealing with the behavioural consequences of children with ADHD, children whose parents believe their child has ADHD and children with parents who just want to get their child on Ritalin for a quiet life.

Me too!

If my memory serves me correctly, ADHD is a condition where electrical signals from one part of the brain to another don't connect properly, causing a certain sort of behaviour.

As Bogof says, ADHD has been used in the past to 'excuse' a child's bad behaviour but for those who genuinely do have ADHD the diagnosis & correct use of medication can make a huge difference to their lives.

right thanks guys

i will pop into councilling services at uni first and see what they say

im finding it hard to concentrate at uni. im ok with coursework parts of the course but when it comes down to exams im barely passing them or not at all due to not being able to concentrate through them.

hope their able to help or im going to end up with extemely high coursework marks ( got nothing below 70% last year) and all failed exams.

It may be that you just lack exam technique..........or nerves just get the better of you.

I know a number of people that are extremely intelligent....but cannot sit an exam to save their life....their minds just go blank.

By all means see your GP but also see if there is any support at the Uni for exam technique....gotta be worth having an ask around...

Good Luck.... :)

Bob

Definately get to your gp if its only for personal reassurance. I was a nightmare earlier this year constantly angry irritable unable to concentrate on one thing for long periods of time and very very restless with mental sleep pattern of waking up every morning at 5 on the dot.

Came away from the docs signed off work for a week or 2 cant remember diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and severe depression yet although i knew i the symptoms were there i felt perfectly fine because i'd adjusted to how i was behaving and felt "normal"

sorry for the story but if you think there's something wrong a proffesional opinion doesnt hurt

ant

i will pop into councilling services at uni first and see what they say

im finding it hard to concentrate at uni. im ok with coursework parts of the course but when it comes down to exams im barely passing them or not at all due to not being able to concentrate through them.

Also ask them to screen you for Irlens Syndrome. Your concentration problems could easily be visual stress and nothing to do with ADHD. http://www.uwe.ac.uk/advice/disability/irlen.shtml

And speak to your tutor about the issues you're facing with exams. Any decent Uni will be able to address your problems both pre and post diagnosis, whatever that diagnosis might be.

If the diagnosis is either of the 2 disorders mentioned, they should both qualify for AEN support at exam time, although that does vary depending on the individual exam board.