Coil pack question

argentum40

Ok so the symptom is my CBR600 is erratically firing on one of the cylinders... Seems ok at higher revs but misses alot at lower revs.. I have changed the coil pack and its still the same and my question is this... Each coil pack has 2 wires connected to the back of it...Does each wire control the firing on a single plug?... I have wired it up exactly as it was and other day i swapped the actual plug leads over and it fired fine on the 'dodgy' cylinder... If each individual wire controls a single spark plug then its probably just a ropey connector or wire even but if not i am stuck..

Seems wierd that it fired ok when i swapped the HT leads over from 1 to 4.. Any ideas lads?

You can buy HT lead in lengths and but it down and would prob work out cheaper

Also check plug caps

problem is Stu the plug caps are sealed onto the HT leads and cant be removed... And as the plugs are like 10 miles deep in the engine cant just use normal plug caps

Definitely sounds like the coil pack/HT leads are faulty. My car suffers with the same thing.....stutters and holds back when putting it under load at lower revs in higher gears.....but is OK when you rev the n*ts off it.....

Does anyone do OEM versions for your bike? People mention David Silver (I think that's right) when talking about Honda parts......

yeah david silver spares is the honda's guy

you could replace coils with just pattern parts they are some good ones out there :)

you need to narrow the problem though

if you cant replace the lead it might be worth replacing the coils

have you got 4 coils or just the 2 ?

just re read you have two coils might just be worth replacing both with all new leads and caps?

replacement coils are about £60 each and HT leads complete with spark plug cap are between £32 and £35 each so would cost nearly £250 for to replace them.. I havent seen any pattern parts as replacements for the HTs and the coils are pattern parts. God knows what genuine Honda ones would cost.. Bearing in mind i have replqaced the coil already

those plugs are nowhere near deep enough... the ones on the CBR need to be about 6" long as the spark plugs are deep in the engine..

Stu £45 is alot better than 60 its true enough... i will have to see if i can fine somehwere else to get the leads from as theres no way i am forking out nearly 150 for 4 of the buggers

If you go to the drop down box and go down to the SD05FM plug caps they are 108mm long. There's a few others there too of varying length. Wouldn't have thought your plug caps were any longer than that.

Good Luck,

Bob

Hey....no probs mate.... :wink:

If the plug caps need to be longer than that you might want to check that your engine hasn't been put in upside down.... :lol: :lol:

Busters also do HT Wire.....so if you go down that route it may save you a bit on P&P buying from the same place.... :mrgreen: