time to replace chain?

XmisterIS

The chain is the original and the bike has done 15,500 miles. I've adjusted the chain once, and now it's on the limit of it's free play again (about 40mm). The rear sprocket is starting to look slightly hooked, I've not checked the front one.

Time to replace chain? Should I replace sprockets at the same time? Or can I get plenty more miles out of it if I adjust it again?

Hmmm ... I've gone and ordered a chain cutting tool and a DID chain and sprocket kit (i went for the "deluxe" version because it was only an extra £20 more than the OE version).

Anyway, I have looked over the entire length of my current chain, and I can't find anywhere a link to break .... why's that? Is it a magic chain?!

Hmmm ... I've gone and ordered a chain cutting tool and a DID chain and sprocket kit (i went for the "deluxe" version because it was only an extra £20 more than the OE version).

Anyway, I have looked over the entire length of my current chain, and I can't find anywhere a link to break .... why's that? Is it a magic chain?!

a chain cutting tool :?

just use an angle grinder to get the old chain off!!

you wont find a place to split it as all the links are riveted and all look the same

you don't use split links by the way as they come off and thats the last thing you want

i hope that chain tool rivets chains too?

you wont find a place to split it as all the links are riveted and all look the same

you don't use split links by the way as they come off and thats the last thing you want

An angle grinder :?

I use the old rusty hack saw thats hung up in the garage lol

So do I! I don't know, we will find out. It's one of these: http://www.dkmotorcycles.com/?section=s ... tting_tool

I've never done a motorbike chain before, only ever a bicycle chain. It's all new to me! Anyway, the thing comes with instructions, which are here (it looks like it rivets the chain): http://www.dkmotorcycles.com/images/pro ... _Guide.JPG

The chain and sprokets have now arrived and ready to fit, I just need to go and buy a 1/2" socket set tomorrow from Halfrauds that goes up to 32mm for the locknut on the front sprocket.

Anyway, the chain is covered in factory grease - should I wash that off by soaking the chain in parafin, and then lube the chain with my normal lube once I've fitted it? Or leave the factory grease on and then clean it as normal when it gets dirty?

Also, I notice that when the front sprocket rotates, so does the locknut. This may sound like a silly question (bear with me, I am a chain-changing noob), but the most obvious thing to do would seem to be to put it into first gear to stop the sprocket from going round while I undo the nut - is this the right thing to do?

Edited by XmisterIS

Leave the grease on! And just lube it up as and when required

I would get an impact gun for that front sprocket it will make light work of it

Ok, I will find out what an impact gun is! :lol:

EDIT: Ooooo dear ... impact gun/wrench is expensive! I will have to stick to my hand wrenches and the torque wrench I'm afraid! The socket set is £22, that's all I want to spend.

Also, I edited that post while you were replying - how do I stop the sprocket from rotating while I undo the nut? Put it in first gear?

What you want to do is loosen the front sprocket nut while the old chain is still on and use the back brake to stop the sprocket turning NOT the gears.

You will also probably need a bar to go over the wrench as the nut gets pretty tight so you'll need the extra leverage.

Edited by whitedevil

What you want to do is loosen the front sprocket nut while the old chain is still on and use the back brake to stop the sprocket turning NOT the gears.

Ok will do. And for tightening, use the new chain and back brake, I assume? That won't damage the chain?

Yeah same method for tightening i dont think the torque setting is that high tbh and it gets tighter from use anyway.

I see - the torque setting for the nut, according to Haynes, is 145Nm - although according to the spec for the bike, the torque at the axle is 58Nm!

I hope I don't snap or damage the chain ... :-|

The back brake might hold the bike still! Depends how tight the nut is

Buy a cheap electric impact gun about 25 quid from machine mart you will be surprised at how much you use it

Yes leave the old chain on to loosen the front

Well, I've done it, and it went 99% according to plan, there could be a problem, not sure though.

The old chain and sprockets came off just fine and I fitted the new sprockets just fine.

That part of the process went like a dream.

Then came the fitting of the new chain ...

Firstly, It was too long, so I had to take out a couple of links with the chain breaker tool (is that a problem?)

Secondly, and this got me REALLY frustrated - almost to the point of crying - I set up the DID chain tool correctly, looking carefully and asking myself, "is it aligned correctly?", yep, no prob, double-check, definitely lined up correctly ... go to tighten it and BAM! it's skittered straight off the end of the rivet and it's burred up one outer edge of the rivet. DAMN!!! So, I re-centered it and tried again, this time it was OK, seemed to have centred itself, but when I backed off, it was off-centre. So I put it on the other rivet and set it in the correct position - now this tool is supposed to be self-centring, but try as I damn well might, it just *wouldn't* mushroom the head of the rivet evenly - both rivets are a little off-centre (but not much). You have *just* got no idea how frustrating it is to spend fully an hour, concentrating as hard as possible, to try to get those rivets to line up dead centre, but every time I tightened the chain tool, it skittered off-centre. Like I say, almost in tears with frustration and anger.

The links are not binding, so is the off-centredness going to be problem? Should I push the soft links out, buy another soft link kit off EBay and start all over again, trying to get the f***ing tool correctly centred?

EDIT:

Pics below, but not clear, I couldn't get the camera to take a decent picture - first the chain tool, then the damn camera, I swear the f***ing thing is jinxed. :cry:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38625683@N06/6272433729/

DSCN1288

DSCN1292

DSCN1293